VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It did leave me thinking I needed a copy of Swan Lake.

Just got the suite on the Deutsche Grammophon Rostropovich. Possibly the most famous recording? A proper runner, both still in print and in charity shops.

Rostropovich. The only cellist you need. Paul Tortelier also pretty good. The sainted Jacqui a distant third (the Elgar excepted). 

Probably should post in the Classical thread. 

Wasn’t really sure where to put this, so here will do.

About an hour or so ago, on BBC R4 they did a piece on Abdul Malik and his chance encounter in 80’s Liverpool with Gil Scott Heron.

It was interesting the family connections he’s since uncovered.

Spoiler

Related to the first black international footballer, and Prime Minister Gladstone, family were rich via being slave masters.

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Wasn’t really sure where to put this, so here will do.

About an hour or so ago, on BBC R4 they did a piece on Abdul Malik and his chance encounter in 80’s Liverpool with Gil Scott Heron.

It was interesting the family connections he’s since uncovered.

Hide contents

Related to the first black international footballer, and Prime Minister Gladstone, family were rich via being slave masters.

I'll always be proud to have been involved in that

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Sad new indeed - Brilliant band who deserve more plaudits! 

I always felt the crossover into the mainstream that Elbow achieved with The Seldom Seen Kid should have happened with Doves and The Last Broadcast. Obviously it wasn’t exactly an underground hit - it was fairly successful, but a song like “Satellites” could (and should) have been as big as “One day like this”.

Anyway, hopefully Jimi gets through this and reaches a positive state of mind soon.

• Like 1

I like doves, I'd compare them to ocean colour scene where they've got some really good stuff and decent overall albums but they'll always be out of the limelight and kind of do nothing but will put on a greta show in somewhere like the o2, saw them a few times around the country when they packed it all up last time, I properly loved kingdom of rust but I'm sure I'd heard an interview about the story behind the song and it was depressing*, saw them support oasis too

* I might have this mixed up with Biffy Clyro livings a problem cos everything dies... His missus dumped him and then his mom died in the same week

I ventured into HMV today to spend a gift card (Hot Country Knights, Sierra Ferrell and Carly Pierce thanks for asking) and I know we have discussed this at length but the vinyl version of Taylor Swift's Fearless was 54.99. **** my hat. I didn't buy that, as only mugs would pay that much and this mug already has 2 copies of it any way but HMV really are taking the piss. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I ventured into HMV today to spend a gift card (Hot Country Knights, Sierra Ferrell and Carly Pierce thanks for asking) and I know we have discussed this at length but the vinyl version of Taylor Swift's Fearless was 54.99. **** my hat. I didn't buy that, as only mugs would pay that much and this mug already has 2 copies of it any way but HMV really are taking the piss. 

Some of HMVs prices are freaking insane

Autobahn by Kraftwerk the other week. There was one copy at lets say £20 and another copy at £45. There was literally no difference between the two copies

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Some of HMVs prices are freaking insane

Autobahn by Kraftwerk the other week. There was one copy at lets say £20 and another copy at £45. There was literally no difference between the two copies

Utterly mental. Really couldn't fathom it. Out of interest let's say you go to Probe and buy a new standard LP. Not limited or a double, just a new release, how much is the normal price. I genuinely don't know as new releases I buy on CD and back catalogue tends to be second hand. 

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Utterly mental. Really couldn't fathom it. Out of interest let's say you go to Probe and buy a new standard LP. Not limited or a double, just a new release, how much is the normal price. I genuinely don't know as new releases I buy on CD and back catalogue tends to be second hand. 

The last three ‘bog standard’ new single albums, black vinyl that I’ve bought have each been £15 but I think that might be exceptional.

The Demodelica double album on heavy vinyl included the download, I bought last week was £22. 

I’m buying something brand new next week that’s £19.

If I’m buying a dub album in London, it’s usually between £12 and £14.

Staple Singers album in Bradford was earlier in the week was £15.

I’m not shy about haggling, especially if I’m buying more than one.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The last three ‘bog standard’ new single albums, black vinyl that I’ve bought have each been £15 but I think that might be exceptional.

The Demodelica double album on heavy vinyl included the download, I bought last week was £22. 

I’m buying something brand new next week that’s £19.

If I’m buying a dub album in London, it’s usually between £12 and £14.

Staple Singers album in Bradford was earlier in the week was £15.

I’m not shy about haggling, especially if I’m buying more than one.

That seems all reasonable. My expectation would be around the 15 mark. 

The 3 I'm lining up are oasis Knebworth (50€) ashcroft acoustic album (27€) and 10 year special el camino (42€) 😭

That said I'd wondered for a while why oasis had never released a Knebworth album before, after listening to 3 tracks I think I know why...the recording isn't the best, neither is liams voice 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The 3 I'm lining up are oasis Knebworth (50€) ashcroft acoustic album (27€) and 10 year special el camino (42€) 😭

That said I'd wondered for a while why oasis had never released a Knebworth album before, after listening to 3 tracks I think I know why...the recording isn't the best, neither is liams voice 

Cue lots of  “that never stopped them before!!” style gags.

I had it on tape for ages, I think I still have it somewhere. As you say I can imagine it sounds low quality now. Maybe the Maine Road gig they did in 1996 (?), as it was decent enough for them to release it on vhs, if that’s anything to go by. But I guess they would have milked it by now if they could have.

I always like the idea of live albums and I do listen to them to have a different take on something familiar, as a bit of a novelty. But I can’t say I listen to them regularly. I only really enjoy a couple of the recordings from “Familiar to Millions”for instance.

Â