Breakaway League

Jareth

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thank you.

I seen that yesterday - but was challenged to provide a link and couldn't.

So there is the first move away from qualifying directly from the performance in your domestic league.

@nick76

Maybe I’m misreading the UEFA statements but even the two weird paragraphs at the end from the statement I showed yesterday there still needs some form of qualification and not the ability to qualify directly.  

If you can show me where this is written or a video from them then great I will accept but apart from a few fans saying it, nobody can show me and I can’t read or see that anywhere. I’m very happy to be wrong but either people are misreading, mishearing or rumours or I have missed something.  The only thing I seem to be 100% sure of is that if we qualify the league we get in.  Maybe I’ve missed something or misunderstood these additional four places they have added but normal qualification continues.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I've seen a few people expressing surprise that clubs with all this money could have been involved in such a fiasco, but honestly if they were run with complete competence then they wouldn't be about to implode under their own debt burdens (specifically thinking about Man U, Real, Barcelona and Tottenham here).

That's what my brother said as well when I was texting him today. He is a gooner and was seething at this. They can't be competent if they pay Willian 200 grand  a week.

I suspect behind the scenes and all this bluster they have agreed to drop this, apologise, and then re-negotiate the champions league reforms to make it more suitable for the dirty dozen.

All this will be swept under the carpet but it shouldn't be. It won't lead to a route and branch review of football. They will try again in about 5 years in perhaps a less confrontational manner to see if people's opinions have changed. This will not go away. I certainly won't forgot this disgrace.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

All this will be swept under the carpet but it shouldn't be. It won't lead to a route and branch review of football. They will try again in about 5 years in perhaps a less confrontational manner to see if people's opinions have changed. This will not go away. I certainly won't forgot this disgrace.

yep this is exactly what will happen. i'm actually more annoyed than when the news was first announced. i wanted it to fail, but i hate that it's failed on their terms

• Like 3

If the first Gulf War taught us anything, it’s that as fans we should go after those elite exception clauses in the CL reforms now, while we are all motivated. 

Burn it all.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

It only seems like yesterday it was announced .....yet here we are at the Knockout stage already !!!

Yeah as I said this was dead because they weren’t clever, they were greedy!  

• Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

They need to get Souness off the TV.

”We in Britain, we’re a proper country with proper people”

There isn't a situation in football that Souness can't use to display what a **** bigot he is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Maybe I’m misreading the UEFA statements but even the two weird paragraphs at the end from the statement I showed yesterday there still needs some form of qualification and not the ability to qualify directly.  

If you can show me where this is written or a video from them then great I will accept but apart from a few fans saying it, nobody can show me and I can’t read or see that anywhere. I’m very happy to be wrong but either people are misreading, mishearing or rumours or I have missed something.  The only thing I seem to be 100% sure of is that if we qualify the league we get in.  Maybe I’ve missed something or misunderstood these additional four places they have added but normal qualification continues.

TBF nick - I think some articles interpreted the final paras as qualification by co efficient. That could mean (and probably does) that should one of the big guns not qualify - they would be given a place.

.......lots of IFS and buts.....but thin end of the wedge imo.

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

They need to get Souness off the TV.

”We in Britain, we’re a proper country with proper people”

Not like them Latin folk in those Latin countries 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is how the 4 extra places from 2024/25 will be allocated:

Qualification for the Champions League will continue to be open and depend on a club’s final position in the previous season’s domestic league competition. The additional four slots available in 2024/25 will be allocated according to three different criteria:

Slot one: awarded to a club from the country placed fifth in UEFA’s national association coefficient rankings. Each association's coefficient is based on the results of its clubs’ performances in five previous Champions League and Europa League seasons.

Slot two: awarded to the domestic league champion with the highest club coefficient among all other domestic champions that have not automatically qualified for the Champions League’s league stage.

Slots three and four: awarded to the two clubs with the highest club coefficients that have not qualified automatically for the Champions League’s league stage, but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase or the Europa League/the Europa Conference League (due to start in the 2021/22 season).

New Format For Champions League

You have to hope that they have a warehouse full with millions and millions of promotional t-shirts and other Super League merch laying somewhere :D 

Â