The Yoof Of Today

chrisp65

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Bring back national service

Did anyone ever watch bad lads army?

It was actually brilliant.

They take a whole load of bad ‘ens who had various issues with drugs, crime all the rest of it. They offer them a place on the show in return for something (I can’t remember, might have been in place of community service). At the start the usual attitudes, flexing, pushing back at authority.

Then they’d put them all through an old school national service process for a few weeks. A few dropped out, had fights and such like, but a lot of them were completely changed by the process. They’d put on an afternoon tea for veterans towards the end they’d be extremely respectful and courteous. It was great to see. At the very end there was an option to sign up for the military and start a career and for a lot of them it was a way out of the bad cycle they were stuck in.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Back in my day, we all had sensible haircuts and saved up for a house before courting a respectable female of the opposite sex.

Not like today, with their lack of socks. You can’t even tell what sex some of them are.

Bring back national service and green shield stamps, that’ll knock some sense in to ‘em.

What about showing their pants above their jeans as well?

That might be out of fashion now though, I don't really know.

• Like 1

My lad turned 18 in Lockdown.  I feel so sorry for him, missed out on so many rites of passage.

I had been going to night clubs since I was 15.   Not only is it so much harder for them to get in sub 18 now, even when they legally are able to they are all closed.

There is going to be carnage when they are all let out, he and his mates are planning the mission now and I guess there are going to be half a million or so 18 year olds in the same boat.

He's missed out on 6 months of driving lessons and will virtually have to start again.   There is massive backlogs for tests.

He is also desperate to buy his old man a drink in a pub.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I hate the young, only because I am jealous. Jealous that they can still do late nights, jealous that they can do an entire gig without wondering if there is some seating somewhere, jealous that they don’t have to think that maybe they should have looked after their knees. 

• Haha 1

I hate the young and their properly working bowels. 

I remember going out for a night out and not worrying about what the state of the toilets in the club may look like. 

• Like 1

I have no problem with today’s yoots, they’re no different to the young people of my day and the day before that. There’s good and in everyone, and we shouldn’t generalise or stereotype whole demographics.

What really winds me up is listening to older people slate young people. My own mum does it, she sounds like something straight out of the Daily Fail comments, sometimes. The usual tirade is about how today’s youth have never had so good, all they do is play on their phones and drink expensive coffee, they think the world owes them a living, and they had no respect, etc... she’s even started using words like ‘woke’ and ‘snowflake’. 

I then point out that her grandson who is just 18, is one of the politest, most respectful people I know. He’s able to think critically, show empathy, debate politics and philosophy, and is on course for three A*s in his A Levels. Yes, he’s lucky. He has way more than I ever had, and I had way more than she ever had. But you can’t tell me that if we had the same lifestyle offered, we wouldn’t have indulged in it. I sometimes wonder if the bitterness toward young people comes from jealousy. 

But yeah, some young people are words removed, some old people are words removed. My own mum being a prime example sometimes. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

I hate the young and their properly working bowels. 

I remember going out for a night out and not worrying about what the state of the toilets in the club may look like. 

I lived like that as well. I may have told this story, its one that happened a number of times but this is the most vivid. February 1990, I am 19. I am at a club in Shrewsbury, part of the club, Park Lane was a Friday night indie club called The Fridge. My stomach had been giving me twinges but my mates and girlfriend, now wife insisted. So I went. I was on the red stripe. A huge no no then as a pint would be bad news for my stomach. Then the cramps of the stomach started. Pain and I know the shits are going to start in about now minutes. Girlfriend shoves some tissue into my hand and I head to the mens. Door literally hanging off, a cm of water on the floor. I sit and at the same time hold the door up and closed. I finish and walk out, covered in sweat but my stomach is now back to normal. My first hearing of Loaded by Primal Scream as I walked out. 
My youth bowel was in way worse condition than it is now. The stories of being caught short or even missing nights, events or even entire holidays. These days with age I have it mastered with minor upsets. 

Away from shitting. My youth if I was back home was spent either at the fridge in Shrewsbury, the market tavern in Kiddie or Lion Street in Telford. Those type of clubs out of the cities, the modern youth misses out. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Not knocking the "yoof" of today, but maybe some of the VTers with kids of there own could clear something up for me.

When I was a kid (say between 10 and 15) there would be an army of us down the park, actually there would be an army of similar ages kids down every park, not getting up to much trouble but just playing football from 9am till 9pm.

My sister has 3 kids and none of them have played football in the same way that I did, the oldest two have been playing for teams since they were around 10 years old, they don't ever go out for a kick around with their pals, they train two or three times a week and play every Sunday.

It seems a shame that it is all so serious, some of the best times of my life were when we used to have matches that lasted for 3 hours and the scores got up to something crazy like 35-26, do kids still play football like that or is it unfashionable not to play for a team and just play for fun?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Not knocking the "yoof" of today, but maybe some of the VTers with kids of there own could clear something up for me.

When I was a kid (say between 10 and 15) there would be an army of us down the park, actually there would be an army of similar ages kids down every park, not getting up to much trouble but just playing football from 9am till 9pm.

My sister has 3 kids and none of them have played football in the same way that I did, the oldest two have been playing for teams since they were around 10 years old, they don't ever go out for a kick around with their pals, they train two or three times a week and play every Sunday.

It seems a shame that it is all so serious, some of the best times of my life were when we used to have matches that lasted for 3 hours and the scores got up to something crazy like 35-26, do kids still play football like that or is it unfashionable not to play for a team and just play for fun?

My two weather permitting and Covid permitting are down the village hall every spare second they have playing football and a lot of their mates do as well and they both also play for a team

Edited by Follyfoot

Looks like hard work with the gym bods, the great teeth, hair etc everything perfect for the gram, social media being full of horrible words removed, lots of pressure to be beautiful that I don't think was there when I was a kid, that was a little bit of pressure to be sporty or cool but in general I was lucky at school, the main thing was just don't be a dick

It all just looks less fun if I'm honest, the kids in their early 20s in the VIP area with the bottle of ciroc... I was a dribbling drunken mess so it's a good job we didn't have cameras and Facebook, agree with leemond my brothers kids "play" online rather than out in the street, 9 and 7 and they haven't even got bikes, they of course know no different so don't care but there's a lot of stuff I obviously don't get but they enjoy it so I can't really moan 

I would say me at 37 the cutoff point for me with my cousins (I've got a fair few...) is about 23, younger than that and they live a life that I don't know 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I have no problem with today’s yoots, they’re no different to the young people of my day and the day before that. There’s good and in everyone, and we shouldn’t generalise or stereotype whole demographics.

What really winds me up is listening to older people slate young people. My own mum does it, she sounds like something straight out of the Daily Fail comments, sometimes. The usual tirade is about how today’s youth have never had so good, all they do is play on their phones and drink expensive coffee, they think the world owes them a living, and they had no respect, etc... she’s even started using words like ‘woke’ and ‘snowflake’. 

There is also a lot of this happening in reverse.  The proliferation of Gammon and Boomer is starting to stereotype older people in young people's eyes. They had it all and we're getting nothing. 

I do feel like a bit of an age war is brewing and I'm in the middle of it........ Literally🙂

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Genie said:

Did anyone ever watch bad lads army?

It was actually brilliant.

They take a whole load of bad ‘ens who had various issues with drugs, crime all the rest of it. They offer them a place on the show in return for something (I can’t remember, might have been in place of community service). At the start the usual attitudes, flexing, pushing back at authority.

Then they’d put them all through an old school national service process for a few weeks. A few dropped out, had fights and such like, but a lot of them were completely changed by the process. They’d put on an afternoon tea for veterans towards the end they’d be extremely respectful and courteous. It was great to see. At the very end there was an option to sign up for the military and start a career and for a lot of them it was a way out of the bad cycle they were stuck in.

I remember this show, the first couple of seasons, with real "bad lads" was brilliant. A fair few would drop out, just couldn't hack it. But some would turn themselves around (on camera at least). This was back when reality TV wasn't half bad.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's the next generation of yoofs I worry about.  A lot of them are going to be tablet zombies, unable to function without a screen.

I can’t imagine how hard it must be to work with a young apprentice on a building site. 

Â