The Yoof Of Today

chrisp65

I just miss sneaking out of my bedroom window when I was 14 to go fool around with my 17 year old girlfriend at the time and then coming home to have my Dad be mad but also proud of me at the same time. Ah memories.💪😁

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t imagine how hard it must be to work with a young apprentice on a building site. 

From my experience it depends on the trade

Electrical / mechanical - good switched on kids

Brickies - incredibly thick skinned, work hard because they have to, no way can they skive without getting a round of **** that will make you cringe 

Scaffolders - special breed

Chippies - tend to be sound and full of energy

Groundworkers - not many of them

Painters - who am I kidding...painting apprenticeship 😂

Tilers / floors / ceilings - all paid on a measure so tend to be ok but they're prime hand balling candidates which is a horrible task

General labour - that's who you've got to watch, when I was about 26 I kicked one of them off cos he kept spitting on the floor everywhere, like every minute everywhere, that's where they're only there for a payslip nothing more 

• Like 2

You don't see paper boys in my area any more. 

When we lived in Selly Oak, barely a month went by without Mrs Lifeboats running over a spotty faced youth who thought that a luminous paper satchel made them invincible. 

Now-a-days you can't run over a child without getting into trouble with the law. It's political correctness gone mad.  

Traffic accidents are character building. 

• Like 2

Paper jobs went away when the kids realised you only got about 11p for about 4 hours work. I did for about 2 weekends before I got pissed off and binned all mine in the local tip,  pocketed the money for a few months before the complaints got back then bought a few games with the dosh. 

• Like 1

My nipper had a paper round, and it was me that advised to jack it in as it was a rip off.

It was the local free paper, which would arrive at our house as a bale, with a separate bale of advertising fliers.

So job one was to insert the loose fliers in to the ‘paper, then fold the paper down to letterbox size, then pack the little cart with papers. 

Then go out and deliver them. 

It worked out at just under a penny per paper delivered, which, with all the prep before going out, worked out at just under £1.00 per hour.

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Paper jobs went away when the kids realised you only got about 11p for about 4 hours work. I did for about 2 weekends before I got pissed off and binned all mine in the local tip,  pocketed the money for a few months before the complaints got back then bought a few games with the dosh. 

I did 4 days of being a paperboy back in the day. I got £4 for the 4 days, and I’m not talking about the 1930’s either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

From my experience where I live these guys are most likely to be drinking special brew for breakfast.

They were definitely the dying breed of collecting your wages in the pub on a Friday afternoon 

And therefore the most problematic and aggressive when it came to paying them 

Can imagine that's a shitter for young guys on site "the QS has only paid me x amount this week so I can't pay you for your overtime" 

Personally I always felt that construction because of remeasures and being able to move up based on your skills was one of the more rewarding industries, if you're good at what you do and graft then you can earn really good money, I've paid brickies £1500 a week in the summer, they never tell you that at school, it's an industry thats still looked down on but it can be more rewarding that retail or manufactoring 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They were definitely the dying breed of collecting your wages in the pub on a Friday afternoon 

And therefore the most problematic and aggressive when it came to paying them 

Can imagine that's a shitter for young guys on site "the QS has only paid me x amount this week so I can't pay you for your overtime" 

Personally I always felt that construction because of remeasures and being able to move up based on your skills was one of the more rewarding industries, if you're good at what you do and graft then you can earn really good money, I've paid brickies £1500 a week in the summer, they never tell you that at school, it's an industry thats still looked down on but it can be more rewarding that retail or manufactoring 

The other major benefit if you’re a bricky or a spark, you know plasterers and roofers.

You show me a spectacular house extension with the latest everything, I’ll show you someone that probably drives a van.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

To cut a thread short, some things work for some people, nothing works for all people.

My kids work hard, and save. So i take offence at any glib platitude about the yoof of today. Similarly, i know pensioners that have never put in a proper shift in their lives.

But neither of those examples should be seen as any sort of sweeping ‘fact’.

We all know that people are the same whereever you go. There is good and bad in everyone. We learn to live, when we learn to give each other what we need to survive, together alive.

Extra bonus points for quoting the worst song ever written (outside of anything by Queen of course)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

You don't see paper boys in my area any more. 

When we lived in Selly Oak, barely a month went by without Mrs Lifeboats running over a spotty faced youth who thought that a luminous paper satchel made them invincible. 

Now-a-days you can't run over a child without getting into trouble with the law. It's political correctness gone mad.  

Traffic accidents are character building. 

I used to do 3 paper rounds every morning before school  , 2 of them involved cycling down the busy A320 on a bike with no brakes and wonky steering from bouncing up and down curbs

I'm fairly relaxed over most things the kids do , but I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near that A320 on a bike now  , they can get their character building from being groomed on the internet by strangers , far safer

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The other major benefit if you’re a bricky or a spark, you know plasterers and roofers.

You show me a spectacular house extension with the latest everything, I’ll show you someone that probably drives a van.

YES! 

Holy moly, yes.

I had my bathroom refitted just before xmas and it cost about £5k.

Having brother/dad working in construction (as have I when I was at/just finished uni) I asked him about the money because I was surprised how much his time cost (without sounding like I was moaning), he said there's been a boom in wages over the last 10 years and he knows brick layers earning £1200 a week.  

If I didn't see the body issues my grandad/dad now have, I'd be a brickie.  Really hard work though (I was a labourer for 2 brick layers for a while, not a fan of 6 inch blocks!).

Anyway paperboys... bah they were the softies of child Labour.

We had kids in our school that did milk rounds, every Milky had a lad, they'd run to each house and deliver the milk, whilst the Milky generally sat on his arse in the Milk Float.

These kids would be up at 5am, do the round and be in school on time and asleep.

The only time the Milky would get off his arse would be to collect the money on a Friday night and he'd probably make an effort in December

And back then, you'd leave a note in the bottle for extra orders (or to decrease it) so sometimes the lad would have to go back to the same house again to dropp off the extras.

For some reason these kids were also good at running in PE

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

When I was a kid, I stole a milk float and totalled it.

Left it in someone’s garden in a state of rapid unscheduled disassembly.

True story dat.

We used to climb into our depot and steal the Corona pop bottles they used to deliver back in those days out the milk float

no CCTV when i were a lad .. another advantage we have over the current yoof

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

YES! 

Holy moly, yes.

I had my bathroom refitted just before xmas and it cost about £5k.

Having brother/dad working in construction (as have I when I was at/just finished uni) I asked him about the money because I was surprised how much his time cost (without sounding like I was moaning), he said there's been a boom in wages over the last 10 years and he knows brick layers earning £1200 a week.  

If I didn't see the body issues my grandad/dad now have, I'd be a brickie.  Really hard work though (I was a labourer for 2 brick layers for a while, not a fan of 6 inch blocks!).

There is because there is a boom in housing meaning they can charge more for the works and then housing is the dregs of the industry, we called them house chuckers

brickies for example can charge more for housing because they are so in demand but the brickies that work on schools or office blocks etc are higher quality so they get the benefit too

You get the sun shining and a good run of something like an external wall in stretcher bond and you'll be amazed at what a brickie earns 

That's why I said about them shouting at their labourers, a brickies labourer is a tough world, if they're too slow then the £s start dropping before their eyes 

Â