The Yoof Of Today

chrisp65

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I can’t imagine how hard it must be to work with a young apprentice on a building site. 

I dread to think what the churn is of new recruits in the construction sector. Wouldn't be surprised if most don't last a week.

Just now, lapal_fan said:

HOW? :lol: 

Well, a milk float is mostly fibreglass and a windscreen, so once you drive it through your average suburban garden wall and down an embankment there’s really not that much of it left.

• Haha 2

I worked on Stetchford Police station and 2 labourers used to wait for the weed busts to come in and get skipped, they'd then jump into the skip and get out the thousands of quids worth of plants and put them in the back of their cars :lol:  

My dad was the site manager and some of the cctv footage was comical.  When asked if they were taking drugs out of the skips, they denied it and said they didn't think they were drugs they were taking, but normal plants :lol: 

Birmingham art gallery was the best place to work, it was fascinating, until a chippy was pulling his tools through a gallery in a 4 wheeled, wooden cart and pearled this incredible glass table.  The glass was crystal and about 4 inches thick, with golden and mahogany wooden legs.  I've never seen a guy shit his pants so badly. 

19 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Birmingham art gallery was the best place to work, it was fascinating, until a chippy was pulling his tools through a gallery in a 4 wheeled, wooden cart and pearled this incredible glass table.  The glass was crystal and about 4 inches thick, with golden and mahogany wooden legs.  I've never seen a guy shit his pants so badly. 

When? 

I spent about 3 years at the BMAG between the roof, the galleries and then an office project in about 2010 to 2013

Crazy place, they could spend the rest of my working career refurbing it

This is starting to feel like a competition.  But I must tell this story.  

I grew up in a place called Wednesfield in the Black Country.   This included a massive area of industrial wasteland called "Bowman's Harbour".  As a kid it was like a massive but dangerous adventure playground.  There were acres of ruined building,  abandoned factories, piles of industrial rubbish etc.  

Part of the site has been redeveloped but the majority remains fenced off to this day.  That's because its contains >> 

• Dangerous levels of methane gas. 
  • Massive amounts of barely buried asbestos. 
  • Radioactive waste that was buried  there before it was realised just how dangerous is was.    
  • But the cherry on the cake has to be...............it was an abandoned Smallpox hospital.  

People who talk about "the good old days" are talking utter rubbish.    There's no better time to be alive than the present, even with COVID.  

• Shocked 1

I had a paper round on some posh roads where Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph were prevelant.  Those used to be hefty items, my paper bag was double the weight of anyone else's. 

I had to balance it on the crossbar of my bike to carry it. 

There was this girl at the papers shop who was a couple of years older than me and I was completely besotted by her. 

One Sunday I was walking up the hill from the shop, paperbag balanced on crossbar.  She was walking down the hill towards me, my heart started to race just at the thought of walking past her.  Tried to keep my cool.  The strap of the bag was still round my shoulder to help keep the bag in place on the crossbar.   I suddenly felt the bike start to lean away from me and the centre of balance shift away. 

The bike and bag went right over dragging me down on top of them right in front of her.  She walked past pissing herself.  Bitch. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

When? 

I spent about 3 years at the BMAG between the roof, the galleries and then an office project in about 2010 to 2013

Crazy place, they could spend the rest of my working career refurbing it

07-08 I was there, during uni.  Worked there on Mondays/Fridays and any uni term breaks. 

Again, my dad was the site manager there.

We used to regularly play in an abandoned coal mine up on Hirwaun Common.

Dangerous buildings aplenty but even worse than that, the entrance to the drift mine had been partially unblocked for many years, you could just walk down the shaft

Where've you been today?

Just playing up the mine

Ah Ok

42 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

This is starting to feel like a competition.  But I must tell this story.  

I grew up in a place called Wednesfield in the Black Country.   This included a massive area of industrial wasteland called "Bowman's Harbour".  As a kid it was like a massive but dangerous adventure playground.  There were acres of ruined building,  abandoned factories, piles of industrial rubbish etc.  

Part of the site has been redeveloped but the majority remains fenced off to this day.  That's because its contains >> 

• Dangerous levels of methane gas. 
  • Massive amounts of barely buried asbestos. 
  • Radioactive waste that was buried  there before it was realised just how dangerous is was.    
  • But the cherry on the cake has to be...............it was an abandoned Smallpox hospital.  

People who talk about "the good old days" are talking utter rubbish.    There's no better time to be alive than the present, even with COVID.  

My Mrs is from Wednesfield 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

We used to regularly play in an abandoned coal mine up on Hirwaun Common.

Dangerous buildings aplenty but even worse than that, the entrance to the drift mine had been partially unblocked for many years, you could just walk down the shaft

Where've you been today?

Just playing up the mine

Ah Ok

Did you watch 'Dark'?  :)

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, a milk float is mostly fibreglass and a windscreen, so once you drive it through your average suburban garden wall and down an embankment there’s really not that much of it left.

?width=360&version=2049585

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Anyway paperboys... bah they were the softies of child Labour.

We had kids in our school that did milk rounds, every Milky had a lad, they'd run to each house and deliver the milk, whilst the Milky generally sat on his arse in the Milk Float.

These kids would be up at 5am, do the round and be in school on time and asleep.

The only time the Milky would get off his arse would be to collect the money on a Friday night and he'd probably make an effort in December

And back then, you'd leave a note in the bottle for extra orders (or to decrease it) so sometimes the lad would have to go back to the same house again to dropp off the extras.

For some reason these kids were also good at running in PE

The kids were probably hoping for some perving.

fw0YYct8cn1F.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Nope, no idea what that is

German TV sci-fi series. Basically, the old abandoned mine that the kids play in is a portal to alternative universes. 

• Thanks 1

Â