Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Definitely did. 3-4-3 with Cash and Digne wide, dropping back to a 5-2-3 at times. 

Are you getting that from somewhere or just basing it on who played? When I saw the line up I thought we were playing 3-4-2-1 but then every report I have seen puts it at 4-2-3-1 as normal. Unai even stated that Cash was playing playing right wing in his after match talk.

26 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Are you getting that from somewhere or just basing it on who played? When I saw the line up I thought we were playing 3-4-2-1 but then every report I have seen puts it at 4-2-3-1 as normal. Unai even stated that Cash was playing playing right wing in his after match talk.

That's what it looked like to me watching tbh. 

I just knew it… these dumbasses on MOTD didn’t even show our goals properly 🤦‍♂️ 

Not even the 19 pass move… if it was a “super 6 team”, they would have showed it over and over again and raved on about it continuously…

Sod it… I love flying under the radar… 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Having watched MOTD…

2Z7Y.gif

Typical… first time I’ve watched it in yonks and nothing’s really changed when it comes to Villa coverage…

Edited by Jas10

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

It's been remarked on many times but without the ball we are incredibly well-organised and hard to break down under Emery.

First half, Konsa burst forward into midfield, in their half, and made a tackle. The ball broke free and they broke forwards down our left. Kamara dropped into Konsa's position and Konsa chased back through the centre. When the ball got cleared forward, Konsa just naturally fell back into position as Kamara trotted forwards back into centre midfield. It was pure fluidity and beautiful to watch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

That goal was sensational. So many players contributing to it and often with sublime touches around players to beat their man. 

Emery had our Villa team playing some of the best football we have even witnessed for our club. We all need to be grateful for the man, win lose or draw, we won't find better coming here. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

First half, Konsa burst forward into midfield, in their half, and made a tackle. The ball broke free and they broke forwards down our left. Kamara dropped into Konsa's position and Konsa chased back through the centre. When the ball got cleared forward, Konsa just naturally fell back into position as Kamara trotted forwards back into centre midfield. It was pure fluidity and beautiful to watch. 

Watched the game with my son. I said to him Konsa's needs to get back quick. My son said Kamara's already back covering. A few seconds later Burnley were passing backwards so Kamara and Konsa switched back. It's strange how something so apparently simple and obvious seemed so alien to us pre Emery.

• Thanks 1

What a front line we have now.

Diaby is looking like he could be special for us, Watkins, Zaniolo looking really promising. 

It takes me back to some of our best ever lineups.

We're building some team here, lads.

2 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

3421(343) was how we lined up

If you look at the average positions from today we more or less played the usual shape. Konsa is making up a sort-of back three, but ultimately is wide enough to really be a defensive right back (where Torres and Carlos are positioned as a CB pairing usually would be) while Digne is bombing up the opposite side. McGinn is therefore tucking more into midfield while Cash is holding the width as a wide midfielder on the right.

Screenshot_20230828_014433_Sofascore.jpg

• Thanks 1

The single points of weakness in the squad now appear to be cover/ competition for Watkins and Martinez.

Since Newcastle we’ve seen Bailey, Cash, Konsa questioned and all step up and show that they have an important role to play. We have Moreno, Ramsey and Donks to come back who will all contribute. 

It’s a great sign that we’ve already come so far so quickly that we’re no longer looking at short support options and that Emery is now only in the market for players that can make a significant difference to the squad right now or have the potential to do that in the future. 

4 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

We all see different things, probably because the roles switch depending on where the ball is and because every match is a little different. That said, I hardly ever see us play something that looks 4-2-3-1 to me.

In defence I almost always see a variation on 4-4-2 though I've seen the outside midfielders tuck into the back line on occasion, especially when defending a lead. What I thought was unusual today was that Kamara was sort of in between the lines, more of a 4-1-3-2 then a 4-4-2. All I can figure is that Unai was worried about them playing balls between the lines.

In attack, I agree with CVByrne...it looks to me like we run a 3-2-5 this year. It's very Guardiola-inspired. When the ball is in midfield, we divide the pitch into five channels and put an attacker into each to try to attack the spaces in the back line (5 men fit into the gaps in a 4 men back line) and to use the width of the pitch. The players in the half-spaces may be a little more withdrawn giving us the 3-box-3 look but not quite as much as last year. Like Guardiola teams, it's pretty free-form once the ball is high in the attacking third...the players do what they're comfortable with and react to the circumstances. If we're crossing from one side, the wide man on the other side almost always makes a run into the box because we don't need the width in that situation.

11 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Not sure the formation changed at all. We simply played Cash where we normally play Bailey.

Formation didn't change at all. Emery won't defend in a 5 4 1 until late in games. We always go with the 4 4 2 and attacking shape can vary 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Something I've really noticed is how if we have any sort of lead our players get really really greedy and start taking like Hollywood shots that's you'd expect at 5-0. Hopefully this can get kicked out of them. 

Yes I agree we could have scored 2 more yesterday if it wasn’t for a certain players trying to get on the internet score sheet and score a hatrik.

Â