Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I wouldn't expect to see Jack for a while. And certainly not for this game. Not a hope in hell. 

Honestly,  I'm ok with that. We ain't qualifying for Europe or getting relegated. We consolidate our status, so job done. Let him heal fully.

• Like 1

Wolves central midfield is weak, especially in an attacking sense, they don't even play with any attacking midfielders because they don't have any, not sure about Vitinha but apparently hasn't impressed and doesn't get a game, Nakamba not really needed, unless we specifically play him to help the full-backs out, as the wide positions are where they're dangerous. I would definitely bring Luiz back for this game.

8 minutes ago, doaflip said:

0-0 or 0-1

Really can't see anything else. We rely on individual brilliance or moments of luck to score goals and we don't seem to have either in abundance at the moment.

If we rely on that we're a poorly coached team 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We aren't getting Europe anyways so may as well throw Kesler in there.

Not much to lose anymore.

Local bragging rights too.

I for one have had enough of Wolves fans bleating on about being the better team and telling us to mind the gap. A win tomorrow, getting the double over them and further extending the points gap between them and us, should soon lead to them falling back into line;) :

image.jpeg.c08cf25f818571b4f9f9ed6b2fcfb47e.jpeg  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we rely on that we're a poorly coached team

I think that sometimes. Or that we are coached in a way that is too reliant on one particular floppy haired magician. I'm sure this article has been on here before: https://statsbomb.com/2021/02/aston-villa-2020-21-deep-dive/

It just highlights how much we rely on a direct game to Grealish or Watkins on that left hand side. 

When we come into a game where we can't play directly to Grealish or Watkins we come unstuck. I.e:

1. Jack Grealish is out injured.

2. Our opponent is in a low block defending a lead. 

We really have no other way of playing. I think it's why we tend to win when we score first or lose when we concede first.

Defeat at Bramall Lane was a bitter pill to swallow and the team owe themselves, and us a win after that abject none performance. Defeat in tomorrow's local derby would be unacceptable. We have had a superb season to date, so let's not blow it now with a "Palace like" run of poor performances, between now and the end of the season. At the end of last season, we would all have gladly accepted a top half placing at the end of this season. Our job is now to secure that place in the top half, a European campaign for next season was a nice thought, but now we need to focus on being tenth at the end of the season, any higher would of course be a nice bonus. 

Tomorrow evening we have the opportunity to record a double over our visitors from the Black Country for the first time since season 2003/04. A win would also extend the points gap between the two clubs to 8 points, with us having played 2 games less and therefore being in prime position to finish the season above them, for the first time since season 2016/17. Three points would also keep us in ninth, whereas defeat could see us drop a place and seem increasingly catchable to the clubs directly below us. A draw would probably keep us in ninth, but it is a win that we really need, having somehow managed to drop all three points against all of the odds on Wednesday night.  

Our visitors have had a disappointing season to date and having been beaten by us at the Molineux earlier this season, will see this as an opportunity to gain revenge, to reduce the points gap between us and to restore some of their dented pride. Overall, we have won 47 and have drawn 26, of the 111 league games that there have been between the two clubs. Win this one for us Villa!!   

• Like 3

I’d be sticking with Nakamba at DM. Think I’d probably put McGinn on the bench and bring in Luiz and Sanson to play ahead of Nakamba. Rest of the starting 11 at Sheffield United stays the same........or maybe throw in the wildcard that is Kessler in place of Elmo? Elmo really hasn’t contributed anything positive in his games, so I don’t feel we have much to lose there. 

Emi

Kesler    Konsa  Mings   Targett

Nakamba

Traore    Luiz    Sanson     El Ghazi

Watkins

I'm not sure how ready Kesler is but I think we have nothing to lose to give him a go, Elmo has been poor 2 out of 3 matches and I would like to see a change in there (though I doubt we will).

I actually don't think we were that bad on Wednesday night but I appear to be in the minority - I mean don't get me wrong, we weren't good but I think we were very unfortunate not to get at least a point. If anything, we got gradually worse after the sending off - The lack of creativity (without Jack) was just plain for everyone to see. 

This has the same feeling (as many of our games) that first goal wins it, in what will be a low-scoring, tight affair. I think they might nick it to be honest. But even if they do, we've still made remarkable strides and this team and management should be backed to the hilt!

Cash and Grealish have been massive losses to us and without them we just do not have the same threat so I'd probably have been satisfied with a point in this one, but a point is neither here nor there at this stage of our season so let's go out all guns blazing.

UTV

• Like 1

Possibly the hardest game of the season to predict so far IMO.

With my Aston Villa hat on I’ll go for a 2-0 win, I certainly wouldn’t be putting any money on it though.

Lawro has us down to lose yet again, no surprises there.

18 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Possibly the hardest game of the season to predict so far IMO.

With my Aston Villa hat on I’ll go for a 2-0 win, I certainly wouldn’t be putting any money on it though.

Lawro has us down to lose yet again, no surprises there.

I thought us beating Liverpool 7-2 was more difficult to predict, but I know what you mean. ;) Lawro really does struggle to predict us doing anything, other than lose doesn't he? :rolleyes:

No Jack. No Cash. Traore on Elmo with Neves and Moutinho controlling the middle of the park. I don't see us getting too much from this one if I'm honest, and they owe us one too.