Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

It'll be a bit more open and expansive than Sheffield United, which will suit us. We can't break teams down but we can get in behind them at speed.

Martinez

Elmo      Konsa    Mings    Targett

Luiz

McGinn      Barkley

Traore      Watkins       El Ghazi

Is probably what I would go with.

I've never seen Kesler(?) play so have no idea if he'd be any good. I'd be tempted to put Trezeguet on the right and put Traore on the left for some left foot crossing but not sure.

If we're going to be breaking we need McGinn and Barkley.

Luiz or Nakamba is a tough one. I'd be minded to put Luiz in there for the better passing ability but with McGinn dropping more when defending.

50/50 on this one. Should be very close. It won't be won or lost on the first goal either.

16 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We aren't getting Europe anyways so may as well throw Kesler in there.

Not much to lose anymore.

that's the spirit......

Let's throw the towel in now then !!!!

Your posts will be all the more interesting to observe when/if we lose more matches and slide down the table.

There is so, so much more to play for and hopefully we can get a favourable result Saturday.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, darrenm said:

It'll be a bit more open and expansive than Sheffield United, which will suit us. We can't break teams down but we can get in behind them at speed.

Martinez

Elmo      Konsa    Mings    Targett

Luiz

McGinn      Barkley

Traore      Watkins       El Ghazi

Is probably what I would go with.

I've never seen Kesler(?) play so have no idea if he'd be any good. I'd be tempted to put Trezeguet on the right and put Traore on the left for some left foot crossing but not sure.

If we're going to be breaking we need McGinn and Barkley.

Luiz or Nakamba is a tough one. I'd be minded to put Luiz in there for the better passing ability but with McGinn dropping more when defending.

50/50 on this one. Should be very close. It won't be won or lost on the first goal either.

Looking at the record and style of both teams. I wouldn’t surprised if a 1-0 decided it either way.

After the worst result of the season on Wednesday, you'd hope there would be a response. 

However, despite Wolves' position in the league, they still have good players in most positions and this will be once again a tough game. Wolves don't score many goals (which has been compounded by Jimenez's injury) but then neither do Sheffield and we contrived to allow them to score on Wednesday night despite our defence being miserly on the whole this season. 

Elmo's inclusion in the team is a worry, Neto for me has been Wolves' best player this season. It really is a shame Cash isn't fit. 

Clearly this will be a game of very few goals but it's clear that whoever scores first will win as we never come back from conceding the first goal and if we score first we more often than not win the game. So I hope to God we start well. 

We usually win when I don't watch but on Wednesday that superstition died so I may have to watch this one. Hopefully it's not 90 minutes of hell and we turn up. 

• Like 1

Wolves play with a two sitting midfielders - whether they go with four or five at the back - they're a defensive team that try to break on you. We're going to find them very difficult to break down. They don't score many goals and so long as we do nothing silly, we should be able to limit them in attack. On paper, it's the most nil-nil that it could possibly be.

They won't come out to us because they don't come out to anyone - if we get lucky we might nick a goal and win it - it could come down to who practices a set piece hardest this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

..................Martinez...............

Elmo....Konsa..Mings...Targett

..............Nakamba....................

............Luiz.......Sanson.............

Traore........Watkins.....El Goalzy

In your previous post you say that we should put Kessler in and then you put up a team including Elmo what  changed your mind ? Or did you just say that yesterday looking for a reaction and had forgotten about it by the next post ?
Personally I think it would be unfair to put Kessler in on Saturday as surely the first thing Wolves would do would be to put Traore up against him, not a great sight on your proper debut to see him hurtling towards you.

On 03/03/2021 at 20:31, M_Afro said:

I won £35 tonight having backed Sheff Utd (following team selection). Just put the lot on Wolves at 2-1. We are so poor at the minute and they, although not great, still have a solid defence and attackers who can hurt you on the break. Easy win for them.

we just have too many, not quite at it.

1 hour ago, troon_villan said:

Just don't know what to predict anymore with Villa. Thought we'd beat Sheffield 7-0 but I was miles away really.  

6-0 to Villa.

is your expectation dropping in increments?lol

Looking the two club's home and away records was surprised to see that we've taken more points at home than they have away, only one more point, but they've played three more away games than we've played home games. Their away record isn't great, lost seven, won four, and drawn three of the fourteen that they've played; only Fulham, Southampton, Burnley, Newcastle, West Brom, and Sheffield United have taken less away points, and they've all played one less away game.

On 03/03/2021 at 23:37, VillaChris said:

Tonight hasn't really changed what I think for this.

1-1.

Wolves better in recent weeks but still don't score much and neither do we in recent times.

I don't see it like that......if teams turn up and play poor, all opponents usually score....i.e conversely, Leeds are a free scoring outfit, but we played well defensively and got a break...we played well defensively that was the common denominator.

Its all about 11 players doing their jobs and playing well.....2 or 3 below par and we are in trouble against most teams.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, TRO said:

The form guide( last 6 games) has Villa 15th and Wolves 4th.

draw your own conclusions.

Yes unfortunately we're not playing them at a great time as they've started carving out some results recently albeit without scoring many goals still. Similar to the Leicester game when we played them a week early (before Maddison and Barnes had got injured). Hopefully the City defeat will have knocked some confidence out of them.

It's clear since January our form (and performances generally) haven't been right and when I told someone this on here a few weeks back they told me to give my head a wobble. 

Strange what some people see and others don't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes unfortunately we're not playing them at a great time as they've started carving out some results recently albeit without scoring many goals still. Similar to the Leicester game when we played them a week early (before Maddison and Barnes had got injured). Hopefully the City defeat will have knocked some confidence out of them.

It's clear since January our form (and performances generally) haven't been right and when I told someone this on here a few weeks back they told me to give my head a wobble. 

Strange what some people see and others don't. 

Quite true, the last time we played well was the first half against Burnley. 

• Like 2