Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

6 hours ago, TRO said:

The form guide( last 6 games) has Villa 15th and Wolves 4th.

draw your own conclusions.

Beat them tomorrow and we jump ahead of them on the form table. Whilst 4th to 15th looks significant. It’s tighter the table suggest. Also if you look at a 10 game form table we’re above them. 

I think we’ll get a point. 

7 hours ago, smg said:

In your previous post you say that we should put Kessler in and then you put up a team including Elmo what  changed your mind ? Or did you just say that yesterday looking for a reaction and had forgotten about it by the next post ?
Personally I think it would be unfair to put Kessler in on Saturday as surely the first thing Wolves would do would be to put Traore up against him, not a great sight on your proper debut to see him hurtling towards you.

Biggest troll I’ve ever come across. Amazed he is getting away with it for so long. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Beat them tomorrow and we jump ahead of them on the form table. Whilst 4th to 15th looks significant. It’s tighter the table suggest. Also if you look at a 10 game form table we’re above them. 

I think form is more pertinent over 6 games 10 is too many.

Just now, TRO said:

I think form is more pertinent over 6 games 10 is too many.

Fair enough but even then it’s 4 points in it. We haven’t been playing great but I don’t think their form is significantly better than ours in terms of results.  I’ve watched them a few times and they haven’t been great either.  Managed to grind out a few wins similar to the way we did. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough but even then it’s 4 points in it. We haven’t been playing great but I don’t think their form is significantly better than ours in terms of results.  I’ve watched them a few times and they haven’t been great either.  Managed to grind out a few wins similar to the way we did. 

I can't call it.....maybe a draw is a good shout.

I would hate to have to select the team outside of the defence.

• Like 1

Morning all, game day and a nice local derby. The reverse fixture earlier this season was a tight one and won in the closing minutes by us. This will be similar I reckon, few chances and who takes them.  Team pretty much picks itself here, with the main debate being who plays as the middle 3?  Personally I’d go with:

Martinez

Elmo      Konsa    Mings    Targett

Nakamba

Luiz             McGinn

Traore      Watkins       El Ghazi

I don’t think starting Kesler would be right.  Derby, up against Neto and Adama throughout, it would be a huge task and he firstly needs a couple of minutes here and there from the bench.  They will target Elmo though, so we need to ensure he’s supported.

I’ve put Nakamba in because I want him to stop the supply to their wide men and cover the back four.  Basically breaking up the passing ability of Moutinho and Neves. We still need McGinn’s energy in the middle if nothing else. Luiz back in for Ramsey is my only change because I’d like us to keep the ball a bit better and provide some cutting edge.

One goal is going to win this game like last time but I think we can do it again.  

Struggling to get excited for this one - ridiculous considering the season we have had, but Wednesday was such a frustrating one!!

Need a big turnaround and this will be very tough against a disciplined Wolves team. I would go:

Emi

Elmo Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz McGinn

Barkley/Sanson

Traore Watkins Ghazi

Bit harsh on Nakamba maybe but I would like a bit more composure in the middle. Hard one to call between Barkley and Sanson - argument for either. Don’t think Ramsey has done enough to start. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep and Wolves had a 4 game run where they got 10 points with three very uninspiring, two of which very lucky wins.

They're nothing to fear and they’re not playing well.  Unfortunately we are the same at moment.

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

Quite true, the last time we played well was the first half against Burnley. 

About time we saw a good performance really. What baffles me is how we can barely string three passes together these days.

We often hear how we've had a great season but in actual fact we've had a great third of the season (up to Boxing Day) where we were averaging 2 points a game. Since then we've averaged just over 1 point a game which as far as I can work out would have us hovering just above the relegation zone. 

We also hear how we're overachieving, we're not. Expected goals, points, goals against etc is actually around par for where we are, if anything it's probably slightly lower than it should be. Maybe in comparison to where we were last season we are overachieving, but we strengthened in summer and players like Luiz, Konsa, Targett etc are a year older and have improved considerably.

The main concern is performances. In pretty much every game in 2020 this season, we either matched our opponents or dominated the game, with the exception of Leeds at home. In 2021, that hasn't been the case. In fact, over the last 5 games, we only dominated one team in our last game, a team that is rock bottom and had 10 men for over a third of the game. We were sub par against Brighton and Leicester (despite having more rest than both of them as they had played midweek), and got 2 scrappy wins against Leeds and Arse. 

Our sub par performances started even with Jack in the side, but now he's out despite some writing him off I really pray Barkley can get some form. He's our most creative player after Jack and when he's firing he's a quality player. If he stops doing silly flicks trying to look good and focuses on having an impact in the final third, he may be able to help us while Jack is out. But sadly he's looked nowhere near on it in the last 10 games or so.

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He hasn't been great for them really. Not sure they'll start the young kid either upfront although he nearly scored in the December game. Thought they might just do a three of Podence, Neto and Adama but think Podence is still injured so perhaps just those two upfront in a 5-3-2.

They'll be happy with a point....as we'd be you'd suspect after midweek so can't see anything but it panning out that way.

No win for us again today according to mystic Lawro.

Has he always disliked us or it is since the 7-2?

If his predictions had come right this season, we would be 30 points behind Leeds now, and comfortably below Burnley and Brighton.

30 points ffs. Youd think he would have changed that bias as the season went on given that we've only been above them.