The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Yep. Two new central midfielders needed in the Summer. We seemed to have spent a lot on every other department since being promoted, now we need to improve this area in particular. 

TWO new central midfielders is important. I’d let Luiz and Sanson leave. 

How easy do you think it is to get two midfielders better than Luiz and Sanson?

If we really are to improve then we will probably sell one of Luiz or McGinn this summer.

As much as I love McGinn as a player and what he’s done for us for me he is the one with lower ceiling and I’d look to move him on. Ideally you’d want to keep both as competition but I don’t think it’s realistic.

I’ve sometimes thought it a bit simplistic of a view but we need someone really physical and aggressive in midfield. Arsenal have Partey, West Ham have Soucek and Rice, Spurs have Hojberg, Liverpool have Fabinho, even Henderson etc. We don’t have that in McGinn or Luiz.

Surely our scouting system can find someone for better value than Kalvin Phillips?

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

TWO new central midfielders is important. I’d let Luiz and Sanson leave. 

Yes. I don’t know why Sanson can’t get a chance but clearly he’s off. Luiz for me is the one I’d be least bothered about losing from the squad, and we need to make room for two new starting signings. If we’re going to spend big then it’s these two positions plus Coutinho - imo. 

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

How easy do you think it is to get two midfielders better than Luiz and Sanson?

Easy. Just go to your local Sunday League and you will see them better than Luiz

• Confused 2

30 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Easy. Just go to your local Sunday League and you will see them better than Luiz

You have a very odd opinion on Luiz pal. No point quoting me about him anymore.

Early on in the Arsenal game Mings was shouting and pointing at Ramsey to drop into space to receive a pass. I thought this was basic stuff, pass and move, but it's been prevalent in the Villa midfield for years now. What am I missing exactly? Him, McGinn and Douglas (less so) are constantly stood still and walking around. This is why I'd like to see Buendia play deeper, at least the bloke puts himself about, wants the ball and moves into space.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Early on in the Arsenal game Mings was shouting and pointing at Ramsey to drop into space to receive a pass. I thought this was basic stuff, pass and move, but it's been prevalent in the Villa midfield for years now. What am I missing exactly? Him, McGinn and Douglas (less so) are constantly stood still and walking around. This is why I'd like to see Buendia play deeper, at least the bloke puts himself about, wants the ball and moves into space.

I've said it a few times on here. Please try Coutinho (or Buendia) in Ramsey's position, with the other one (Coutinho or Buendia) playing with Bailey behind Ings. I'd also love to see Sanson over McGinn for a few games. Try this, with Douglas still at the base, and see what happens.

17 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Answered your own question. McGinn would be the first one out the door for me, as likeable as he is.

I am coming around to this.

Personally, I would like to see a DM come in before anyone goes, because I think a good one, will have that knock on effect to the other players.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The midfield 3 are a huge concern....in terms of their effect.

I am not a Luiz fan....but I thought he was the better of the 3 on Saturday, doesn't say much, I know.

Edited by TRO

It's hard to single out any one of our midfield three. One big signing like Phillips and moving of Luiz to 8 could transform the midfield. Luiz Phillips McGinn could be the right combination

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's hard to single out any one of our midfield three. One big signing like Phillips and moving of Luiz to 8 could transform the midfield. Luiz Phillips McGinn could be the right combination

Absolutely. Dougie isn't a natural number 6, neither is McGinn a DM and we're seeing him play the deeper role that old cabbage and cheesy chips had him playing. Pop a proper DM in, and til Nakamba is fit just put Chambers there, and we'll see that midfield operate alot better.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

The midfield 3 are a huge concern....in terms of their effect.

I am not a Luiz fan....but I thought he was the better of the 3 on Saturday, doesn't say much, I know.

Yes we can keep going around in circles but fact is theres no consistency. They can go from being really good to really bad next game.  I dont think Gerrard can change the mentality of the players. Too comfortable., too passive, too nice. 

• Like 1

I think the problem with our midfield is that none of them really excel at anything. None of them are excellent at keeping the ball, passing, tackling or closing passing lines. Ramsey is probably the exception in that he is excellent at driving forward with the ball. That is why Mcginn and Luiz are expendable under a possession based system. 

• Like 1

Sanson will be loaned out if we can't sell him.  Clearly not trusted enough by either Smith or now Steven Gerrard.  I think we may want to cash in on him to raise as much funds as possible.  

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

I think the problem with our midfield is that none of them really excel at anything. None of them are excellent at keeping the ball, passing, tackling or closing passing lines. Ramsey is probably the exception in that he is excellent at driving forward with the ball. That is why Mcginn and Luiz are expendable under a possession based system. 

A midfield of modern Gavin McCanns you say?

Â