Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Villa DMs are never good enough for armchair Villa fans. Some people thought Gueye was shit. Smith identified Nakamba to do a job against Leeds Arsenal Spurs and Chelsea like the good squad DM that he is

I saw a stat yesterday, it may have been on here, that Emi had to make twice as many saves for his clean sheets as his two main competitors. That tells us two things; firstly that Emi is ace and secondly that we are too easy to get at. Chelsea was a brilliant end to the season and Marvelous did play well but let’s be honest, if they had taken their chances they would have won comfortably. Add to that the fact that Chelsea have struggled to create chances under the new manager. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Assuming Evans is correct about this (Haha) then agreed, but... I wouldn’t have picked Matt Cash as our new RB either, and who would argue with that now?

If Deano wants him as a first choice he must be good enough and fit into a wider plan. 

True, suppose its easier to trust the process if its a sexy foreign name!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I saw a stat yesterday, it may have been on here, that Emi had to make twice as many saves for his clean sheets as his two main competitors. That tells us two things; firstly that Emi is ace and secondly that we are too easy to get at. Chelsea was a brilliant end to the season and Marvelous did play well but let’s be honest, if they had taken their chances they would have won comfortably. Add to that the fact that Chelsea have struggled to create chances under the new manager. 

I've said this numerous times, the statistic has been evident most of the season.

Emi Martinez is among the keepers who got relegated or are bottom of the table for shots saved, this is a working statistic as it means our midfield aren't protecting us enough. Once the attackers are through there is only so much the defence can do for blocking.

I still think the midfielders are making it tough for us with their consistency in giving the ball away (McGinn).

• Like 1

Obviously, City & Chelsea are adept at retaining possession and play a passing game…

If we are genuinely ambitious and want to disrupt the established order of top 6, even top 8, we would do well to gain that ability…

Also, it would really help us against the smaller teams where we have often failed to get results and been defeated too. I know we lost Jack but we have to be better as a team, on the whole…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

True, suppose its easier to trust the process if its a sexy foreign name!

Yep, plus 2 goals and 5 assists in 36 PL games doesn’t scream 1st choice winger target. 

The articles this morning claim that Pep was interested in him previously but a deal didn’t come together. Must be something in his game that you and I aren’t seeing. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Villa DMs are never good enough for armchair Villa fans. Some people thought Gueye was shit. Smith identified Nakamba to do a job against Leeds Arsenal Spurs and Chelsea like the good squad DM that he is

If they’re not as tall as Peter Crouch then people think they’re shit, and must be the reason we didn’t win a game.

We would’ve been lost without Emi this season… just shows the difference an excellent GK can make.

Signing and player of the season for me, genuinely revolutionary for us.

We worked hard on defence during lockdown and it was a major success.

Now, this preseason, the thing we need to work on hardest/most is ball retention, composure and pass selection…

Learn to keep hold of it, especially under pressure, look up before playing the ball and pick out the right man. Constant short passes and playing in triangles will help but players need to make themselves available and give support.

A lot of the time we get it out to the wing, for example (I’d like us to mix it up and play through the middle a bit, not so predictable), and the receiver is left isolated and crowded out and, again, we easily surrender possession. We need to get closer to each other and keep playing…

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Some may have, but the large majority thought he was one of our best, if not the best, that season.

Nakamva is fine in the squad, but I'd look for someone more comfortable with the ball.

• Like 1

If The Athletic is right about McNeil and Buendia (or atleast the positions) I wouldnt be against it. If we could have a trio behind Watkins with Grealish, Buendia, Traore, McNeil and El Ghazi to choose from would be great. That will allow us to have somebody on the bench who could make a difference coming on late in games.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Martinez 2 nearest rivals were Ederson who sees the ball about 10 times per game and Mendy with Chelsea playing a more defensive system since Tuchel came in. 

They are also the 2 Champions Leqgue finalist teams

• Like 1

I think he'll be a fairly typical English winger, comes through young and exciting, fades badly, by his late 20s he'll be a nothing player, he also won't be a bargain, got doubts about him 

Happy to see the comment about not interested in Abraham due to Chelseas asking price we don't need a £40m striker 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1