Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I think we'll break our transfer record comfortably in the summer. Not sure which position. Maybe CAM if we don't go for Barkley.

We dont need any keepers. We need two full backs, one winger to replace whichever of El Ghazi or Trez leaves, one centre half, one attacking mid, one forward to compete with / complement Watkins, Wesley and Barry. With Ramsey and Chuk coming through and Sanson in place, I dont see any more CMs coming in.

So maybe 5 or 6 in and as many at least out. Taylor, Gilbert, Elmohammady, Engels, El Ghazi, Davis (loan) etc

47 minutes ago, sne said:

I've mentioned Anel Ahmedhodzic a bunch of times as someone we should look at for CB cover. Think he has potential.

Another one might be William Saliba who doesn't seem to be rated by Arteta and Arsenal but who was great when I watched him for Saint Etienne a couple times and who seem to be doing really great on loan at Nice.

Maybe we can pull a Martinez on them again?

Or we just go straight to the source and pick up Saidou Sow who is still only 18 but I suspect will be the next young CB to be snapped up from the Saint Etienne academy after Kurt Zuma, Wesley Fofana and William Saliba. He's still a year or 2 away from PL level thou.

Is that the fella from Malmo? I don't know a thing about him but he was mentioned as a suggestion in the most recent Sensible Transfers thing that Tifo do for Barcelona. He's meant to be tall, strong, quick, and able to play a bit. He definitely sounds like an interersting prospect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

Is that the fella from Malmo? I don't know a thing about him but he was mentioned as a suggestion in the most recent Sensible Transfers thing that Tifo do for Barcelona. He's meant to be tall, strong, quick, and able to play a bit. He definitely sounds like an interersting prospect.

Yup that's the one, been heavily linked with Atalanta for a while now but they've not been able to get it done. Him and Ísak Bergmann Jóhannesson from IFK Norrköping are the ones I would look at from the Swedish Allsvenskan.

• Like 2

For all that Barkley can bring on his best day, the one thing that doesn't fit his game is playing out wide. I get the calls for Jack to play predominantly through the middle, but imagine how much more devastating our attack could be if we had someone who can interchange and switch with Jack out on the left. Now, we can do it on the right with Traore, but not really on the left. With Barkley, you know he's probably going to run at you through the middle, but if we had a similar player who can also do that out wide left while Jack slips back through the middle...

homer simpson GIF

I don't know so much about players in other leagues at the moment, but from the PL the player that comes to mind would be Trossard from Brighton. Not sure how he does defensively but he can play through the middle, out left, or even in support up front. Not sure he would even be on our radar, but that's the type of player (maybe with a bit more strength/power) I would be looking at.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sne said:

There actually is half decent prize and TV-money now in the Europa League now (maybe not by PL standards but it has gone up) and the winner does get a place in the CL.

I'd love for us to have a run in Europe and I think it would be a valuable learning thingy for the players. Obviously not if it meant we'd get relegated but I don't see that happening. Honestly don't see us qualifying for the CL through league placing happening anytime soon either unless a bunch of the clubs higher up totally implodes and go bust.

The problem in that competition like someone mentioned is the number of fixtures and the ridiculous clubs in it, no one wants to play the club who finished 3rd in the Bosnian league.

Personally I think they need to strip out all those clubs and create a conference type league for them for the chance to play in the Europa league leaving the top ten leagues to play in the Europa 

1 minute ago, a-k said:

For all that Barkley can bring on his best day, the one thing that doesn't fit his game is playing out wide. I get the calls for Jack to play predominantly through the middle, but imagine how much more devastating our attack could be if we had someone who can interchange and switch with Jack out on the left. Now, we can do it on the right with Traore, but not really on the left. With Barkley, you know he's probably going to run at you through the middle, but if we had a similar player who can also do that out wide left while Jack slips back through the middle...

homer simpson GIF

I don't know so much about players in other leagues at the moment, but from the PL the player that comes to mind would be Trossard from Brighton. Not sure how he does defensively but he can play through the middle, out left, or even in support up front. Not sure he would even be on our radar, but that's the type of player (maybe with a bit more strength/power) I would be looking at.

Brandt could do that.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

The problem in that competition like someone mentioned is the number of fixtures and the ridiculous clubs in it, no one wants to play the club who finished 3rd in the Bosnian league.

Personally I think they need to strip out all those clubs and create a conference type league for them for the chance to play in the Europa league leaving the top ten leagues to play in the Europa 

I'm the total opposite.

Just now, Villaphil said:

Ambitious summer I grant you. 🤣🤣

Dembele 40m

Coutinho 40m

Tarkowski 20m

Barkley 25m

Taylor replacement 5-10m

A solid £500-£600k/week in salaries there along with those transfer fees :D 

Just now, Villaphil said:

Ambitious summer I grant you. 🤣🤣

Dembele 40m

Coutinho 40m

Tarkowski 20m

Barkley 25m

Taylor replacement 5-10m

In Order...

Injured ALL the time
Couldn't afford his fee and wages, will definitely not want to come to us.
Would cost WAY more than you quoted.
Buying him would be a huge mistake based on what he has done so far

Fine if you want a young cheap prospect as the back up left back

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

In Order...

Injured ALL the time
Couldn't afford his fee and wages, will definitely not want to come to us.
Would cost WAY more than you quoted.
Buying him would be a huge mistake based on what he has done so far

Fine if you want a young cheap prospect as the back up left back

Given COVID and the Barca fire sale, I think those prices are pretty accurate.  I grant you the wages would be a concern.

Ref Dembele, he’s only 23, Jack’s injury record at that age was pretty awful too.

Edited by Villaphil

54 minutes ago, sne said:

There actually is half decent prize and TV-money now in the Europa League now (maybe not by PL standards but it has gone up) and the winner does get a place in the CL.

I'd love for us to have a run in Europe and I think it would be a valuable learning thingy for the players. Obviously not if it meant we'd get relegated but I don't see that happening. Honestly don't see us qualifying for the CL through league placing happening anytime soon either unless a bunch of the clubs higher up totally implodes and go bust.

I think if some how we get to Europe we’d really have to focus on the Cup in later stages which would mean resting players in the league.

I can already picture the meltdowns on here about subs and rotation after losing to Burnley on the Sunday after a Europa cup tie on the Thursday. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think if some how we get to Europe we’d really have to focus on the Cup in later stages which would mean resting players in the league.

I can already picture the meltdowns on here about subs and rotation after losing to Burnley on the Sunday after a Europa cup tie on the Thursday. 

I'd be absolutely fine to throw the 2 domestic cups and play the kids there. If we made Europe we'd obviously need to build a stronger and broader squad to be able to cope.

9 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Given COVID and the Barca fire sale, I think those prices are pretty accurate.  I grant you the wages would be a concern.

Ref Dembele, he’s only 23, Jack’s injury record at that age was pretty awful too.

If you think Burnley will sell him for that you are off your rocker....

Jack was never injured as much as Dembele and Dembele's are repeated on the same parts of his body exactly what you don't want to buy.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ousmane-dembele/verletzungen/spieler/288230

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

If you think Burnley will sell him for that you are off your rocker....

Jack was never injured as much as Dembele and Dembele's are repeated on the same parts of his body exactly what you don't want to buy.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ousmane-dembele/verletzungen/spieler/288230

Only 12 months left on Tarkowski’s contract in the summer.

3 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Only 12 months left on Tarkowski’s contract in the summer.

They turned down bids of over 30 million this season for him and they have just got new owners, he isn't moving for 20 million.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s better once get to last 16. The amount of games getting to that stage is crazy.

Spurs will probably be throwing every thing in to winning it as it’s the most like way for them to get champions league. 

If we got to Europa I’d be happy. But I’d also accept if we wanted to do well in it then our final league position would have to be sacrificed.  Mid table and a good Europa cup run? I guess that would be decent. Would love European nights at VP again. 

I just don’t think Europa is a big pull for players. We’d have the same pull for just being a top half premier league club in my opinion. 

Not sure, looking at last year, Leicester, spurs and arsenal probably have a greater pull then wolves, sheffield united and burnley.

7 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Not sure, looking at last year, Leicester, spurs and arsenal probably have a greater pull then wolves, sheffield united and burnley.

Do you think that’s because they are in Europe?  Let’s say Leicester, Spurs and Arsenal missed out on Europe but Burnley made it. You think players will rather join Burnley than the other 3?