Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Mings was so influential on and off the pitch when he was on loan with us that firstly it vastly increased his value, but also made him pretty much indispensable to us to the point that we had to overpay.  Hopefully Conor can do the same for Swansea - we're bound to get £5m especially if he can be influential enough in getting them promoted.

this is my thinking. if he has a huge hand in them going up the fans wont accept not signing him. remember all the 'announce mings' all over here and social media...we as a fanbase would not have accepted the deal not getting done. bournemouth had us over a barrel. we will do the same with swansea

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

we have already paid 15m for him. we don't need to pay city any more money. we already own him.

I think the idea is that if City think they could sell him for £45mil but they have to pay £30mil to get him back off us, we could just pay City £15mil which would get rid of the clause moving forward.

17 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Big fan of loaning out youths here too to be honest!

Me too, some people are dead against it but I just think if you want make it in league 1 or the championship you will never make it here.

13 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

I think the idea is that if City think they could sell him for £45mil but they have to pay £30mil to get him back off us, we could just pay City £15mil which would get rid of the clause moving forward.

i would think for that to happen, there would have to be a bid on the table from the unnamed club. city can't just phone us up and say "we think we can get 45m, give us 15m or we're executing the clause"

my gut feeling is that if city want to execute the clause, we'll just let them and not bother with any negotiation of buying them out of the clause. we'd have doubled our money in 2 years and just re invest it in another player i reckon

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i would think for that to happen, there would have to be a bid on the table from the unnamed club. city can't just phone us up and say "we think we can get 45m, give us 15m or we're executing the clause"

my gut feeling is that if city want to execute the clause, we'll just let them and not bother with any negotiation of buying them out of the clause. we'd have doubled our money in 2 years and just re invest it in another player i reckon

If their intention is to sell back to us, Luiz could just tell them no tbf - then we sign him to a fat new deal as a reward for not putting us through the bullshit. 

Edited by lexicon

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Though Man City won't have a bid on the table whilst Luiz is still a Villa player. They would need to buy him back first, and then look to sell him.   

If say Arsenal decided they wanted to bid for him, then they would approach us rather than Man City. 

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Though Man City won't have a bid on the table whilst Luiz is still a Villa player. They would need to buy him back first, and then look to sell him.   

If say Arsenal decided they wanted to bid for him, then they would approach us rather than Man City. 

Yeah it makes no sense for the buying team to get Man City to buy back and sell on, they would deal direct if they were interested. Also, wouldn't that scenario cause issues with the amount of teams a player can be registered to in a twelve month period as it would be three teams?

We only need to worry about Man City being interested in bringing him back, which is always a possibility as Pep is meant to be a big fan of Douglas. Fingers crossed they have moved on to bigger fish now and the buy back expires and a new deal gets agreed with Doug and us.

I love Luiz but I’m not sure anybody is going to think he’s worth 45m.  That’s a hell of a lot of money for him from a club not Villa or Man City.  

If Man City want him back long term I understand although I don’t think he fits in there.  We love him and so value to us but a straight 45m fresh for a new club seems too steep.

Plus Luiz would get a slice of any fee because of closing off contract fee and signing on fee, if Man City sign and then sell him unless he waived them and why would he do that.  He’ll think if Man City is only doing this to make some money why shouldn’t he make a slice of it.

So I think Man City will only activate it if they really want him back long term.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I love Luiz but I’m not sure anybody is going to think he’s worth 45m.  That’s a hell of a lot of money for him from a club not Villa or Man City.  

If Man City want him back long term I understand although I don’t think he fits in there.  We love him and so value to us but a straight 45m fresh for a new club seems too steep.

Plus Luiz would get a slice of any fee because of closing off contract fee and signing on fee, if Man City sign and then sell him unless he waived them and why would he do that.  He’ll think if Man City is only doing this to make some money why shouldn’t he make a slice of it.

So I think Man City will only activate it if they really want him back long term.

yep, i agree. 

So the question is do they think he's worth £35m to them to be a squad player for now and then eventually breaking into the first team.

They have 5 months left to decide.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2021 at 09:21, AvfcRigo82 said:

Great player in his Shalke days JV.

Apparently he has signed a contract with a club in January and will announce his next club in March..   🤔

hopefully its not Villa. 12 starts in the last 2 seasons when PSG were playing defenders in midfield at times

Be another Drinkwater type signing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

my point was that arsenal would approach us, we say "we want £40m" arsenal say "do one"

arsenal then phone city and say "execute your luiz buy back, we'll then buy him straight off you plus £1-2m for your troubles"

arsenal get the player on the cheap, city get £1-2m for doing sod all

it's a long shot, but theoretically it could happen. nevertheless, i still don't think it will and i firmly expect him to still be a villa player next season, when we can finally hear the last of this **** buy back clause

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

If their intention is to sell back to us, Luiz could just tell them no tbf - then we sign him to a fat new deal as a reward for not putting us through the bullshit. 

i thought that was the case too but apparently he cannot. i looked it up. it's part of any buy back clause that the player automatically moves, he can't turn them down.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

hopefully its not Villa. 12 starts in the last 2 seasons when PSG were playing defenders in midfield at times

I don't think that he would be another Drinkwater.

With the formation that they play he fits at LW only (although I think he's better as a 10). Neymar is the LW and if he doesn't play then they usually move Mbappe to the left. You could maybe put him in as a 10 but PSG don't play a 10 that often, but when they do he tends to play when fit. Their style at least under for the big games is a sitting midfielder (sometimes a CB pushed up) with 2 shufflers and let the attacking 3 do their thing. He doesn't get in that attacking 3 and he's not a shuffler.

One concern that I would have with him would be injuries. I think he would be better than Barkley but would come with the same concerns. He'll want very high wages as well especially if he's going on a free.

Edited by sparrow1988

All this talk about Luiz...every time I read people worried about City buying him I get flashbacks to the City game where he was often outpaced. I'm going to throw this out there...I don't think he's quick enough for them. I like him a lot, but a club like City can pretty much choose whoever they want on the planet. Is he destined to be the best DM in the league? I don't think so. He's clearly a good player though.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Rolta said:

All this talk about Luiz...every time I read people worried about City buying him I get flashbacks to the City game where he was often outpaced. I'm going to throw this out there...I don't think he's quick enough for them. I like him a lot, but a club like City can pretty much choose whoever they want on the planet. Is he destined to be the best DM in the league? I don't think so. He's clearly a good player though.

Problem is , is he worth more than his release clause ?nothing is stopping them buying him and selling him the next day, only thing that might stop this might be the market being slower during the pandemic

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

This is where I'm at tbh. I actually don't think he's been great this season. Good, but not great. Certainly finished the back end of last season in better form.

At the end of the day, he's 22 and he's already a decent Premier League defensive midfielder/deep lying playmaker. He is only going to get better so I think it would be great if we could keep him as he further adapts to the league and improves on his game.
I'd like us to bring in a commanding defensive midfielder in the Summer and allow Luiz to compete for one of the two no.8 positions. He's probably got more going forward than we've seen to date.

Do I think he's good enough for Man City at present? No chance. Not by a stretch actually. The only reason we'd lose him to them in the Summer is if they THINK he can become good enough in the future - he has age very much on his side. I don’t think this would even be a conversation if he was 27/28. 

Edited by Delphinho123

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Hopefully it's not us.

I agree that his best days look to be behind him. He was a decent player at one time.

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

my point was that arsenal would approach us, we say "we want £40m" arsenal say "do one"

arsenal then phone city and say "execute your luiz buy back, we'll then buy him straight off you plus £1-2m for your troubles"

arsenal get the player on the cheap, city get £1-2m for doing sod all

it's a long shot, but theoretically it could happen. nevertheless, i still don't think it will and i firmly expect him to still be a villa player next season, when we can finally hear the last of this **** buy back clause

That’s my problem though is that this excludes the Luiz part.

So let’s say Man City buy back for 35m and sell to Arsenal for 38m.  

Man City then have to sign Luiz, pay him a signing on fee and then pay off his contract he literally just signs with Man City before they sell to Arsenal.

Yes, it will get settled to a much lower overall cost to Man City but I bet Luiz would get from Man City a huge slice and it won’t be tens of thousands, it’s at least high hundreds of thousands but more like north of million plus.  

It’s going to leave Man City no value in doing a deal for just a few more million than what they buy Luiz from us.  Only if Luiz was sold for 45m, 50m or more would it be worthwhile for Man City and he isn’t worth that really.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

That’s my problem though is that this excludes the Luiz part.

So let’s say Man City buy back for 35m and sell to Arsenal for 38m.  

Man City then have to sign Luiz, pay him a signing on fee and then pay off his contract he literally just signs with Man City before they sell to Arsenal.

Yes, it will get settled to a much lower overall cost to Man City but I bet Luiz would get from Man City a huge slice and it won’t be tens of thousands, it’s at least high hundreds of thousands but more like north of million plus.  

It’s going to leave Man City no value in doing a deal for just a few more million than what they buy Luiz from us.  Only if Luiz was sold for 45m, 50m or more would it be worthwhile for Man City and he isn’t worth that really.

I agree with this.  COVID has really helped us with Luiz imo.  Many clubs are struggling financially in Europe.  I just don't see how it would make sense for Citeh to spend precious FFP money on a player who would only be a rotational squad player for them.  Given the reports of his buy back being north of 30m, it would be very difficult for them to flip him for a profit in today's market.  The world market for football players is depressed right now.  I've always felt that Luiz will not be going anywhere- still feel the same.

• Like 2