Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Cant remember if Targett was Premier League or Championship for Fulham when we bought him.

That's what I mean, we bought Targett off Southampton after he spent a year at Fulham on loan because he wasn't 1st choice 

We haven't bought a first choice player in years, it's really rare for us 

So the idea that we will go buy Newcastle or Southamptons best player for £40m+ would buck the trend massively 

• Like 1

Last summer Dean had 2 player lists, 1 for if we stayed up and 1 for if we get relegated.  With the top of the table so tight at the moment he’s probably looking at 3.....  top 10, Europa League and Champs League.  With COVID economics still in place, Europa, or even that last Champs League spot would really allow us to flex our financial muscles.

Not sure where everyone else is expecting us to finish, but can I throw 1 name out there.

Ousmane Dembele at Barca, age 23, contract will have 12 months remaining and Barca are likely to have a fire sale.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

So the idea that we will go buy Newcastle or Southamptons best player for £40m+ would buck the trend massively 

We won't. It's just fever dreams. This place is turning into The Fighting Cock or Redcafe when they were sniffing around Grealish

3 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Last summer Dean had 2 player lists, 1 for if we stayed up and 1 for if we get relegated.  With the top of the table so tight at the moment he’s probably looking at 3.....  top 10, Europa League and Champs League.  With COVID economics still in place, Europa, or even that last Champs League spot would really allow us to flex our financial muscles.

Not sure where everyone else is expecting us to finish, but can I throw 1 name out there.

Ousmane Dembele at Barca, age 23, contract will have 12 months remaining and Barca are likely to have a fire sale.

Would Europe leave really be that much of a attraction to players.  You end up having a ridiculous fixture list which involves getting out of a group that contains the Macedonian champions.  

If you some how manage to get out the group and are still in a good position in the league you then have to Juggle your squad to determine what’s more important. Another 9 games in the Europa in the hope of winning it or the push for top 4. In the end you try and balance both and end up with neither. (Watch Leicester this season).

I really think the Europa is a farce in its current format. 

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We won't. It's just fever dreams. This place is turning into The Fighting Cock or Redcafe when they were sniffing around Grealish

Mike Ashley is desperate to sell the club. He is not an ambitious owner. If a big offer came in for Saint maximin I think he would consider it. However I don’t not think we are going to spend 40m on a single player anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would Europe leave really be that much of a attraction to players.  You end up having a ridiculous fixture list which involves getting out of a group that contains the Macedonian champions.  

If you some how manage to get out the group and are still in a good position in the league you then have to Juggle your squad to determine what’s more important. Another 9 games in the Europa in the hope of winning it or the push for top 4. In the end you try and balance both and end up with neither. (Watch Leicester this season).

I really think the Europa is a farce in its current format. 

I think it's a huge attraction that we belittle. Watching that spurs doc on amazon, the likes of Kane and others were desperate for europa qualification.

Theyve got Wolfsburg next, just gone past Antwerp and are 4 games away from the champions league (or maybe 5).

Something like that could be a huge factor in keeping the likes of grealish. Its shows consistent improvement.

• Like 2

Every club in Europe that doesn't qualify for the CL next season (and some that do) will be a selling club due to the effects of Covid.

Not saying it will be a total reset, far from it, but a lot of clubs are sitting on very big player contracts that they desperately want rid of.

The PL is a different beast due to the TV-deal but a lot of clubs are still hurting. We are lucky to have rich owners who are in the beginning of their project and happy to pump in money which puts us in a good position. Especially since we are doing very well on the pitch and are playing entertaining football most of the time.

Still don't think buying top players from other PL-teams is likely, most clubs have enough a buffer to not have to sell unless the player and agent forces a move. And even then it will be silly prices. As always outside the PL is where to look for good deals, this summer more than ever. And the competition for players might be smaller than usual. But as always there will be exceptions of course.

Or not, who knows :D 

Edited by sne

We've done well picking up unwanted scraps from then benches of Arsenal, Bournemouth and Southampton. 

Wasn't cheap by any means but certainly value for money.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think it's a huge attraction that we belittle. Watching that spurs doc on amazon, the likes of Kane and others were desperate for europa qualification.

Theyve got Wolfsburg next, just gone past Antwerp and are 4 games away from the champions league (or maybe 5).

Something like that could be a huge factor in keeping the likes of grealish. Its shows consistent improvement.

It’s better once get to last 16. The amount of games getting to that stage is crazy.

Spurs will probably be throwing every thing in to winning it as it’s the most like way for them to get champions league. 

If we got to Europa I’d be happy. But I’d also accept if we wanted to do well in it then our final league position would have to be sacrificed.  Mid table and a good Europa cup run? I guess that would be decent. Would love European nights at VP again. 

I just don’t think Europa is a big pull for players. We’d have the same pull for just being a top half premier league club in my opinion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s better once get to last 16. The amount of games getting to that stage is crazy.

Spurs will probably be throwing every thing in to winning it as it’s the most like way for them to get champions league. 

If we got to Europa I’d be happy. But I’d also accept if we wanted to do well in it then our final league position would have to be sacrificed.  Mid table and a good Europa cup run? I guess that would be decent. Would love European nights at VP again. 

I just don’t think Europa is a big pull for players. We’d have the same pull for just being a top half premier league club in my opinion. 

I think players that can’t get in at a club in the Champions League then look at clubs that could qualify next season.  Where do you find such clubs ????  Next step down is Europa League.

I also think national managers want players to be used to travelling internationally and performing well against clubs that play a different style than the player is used to.  Playing in the Europa demonstrates this.

• Like 1

I've mentioned Anel Ahmedhodzic a bunch of times as someone we should look at for CB cover. Think he has potential.

Another one might be William Saliba who doesn't seem to be rated by Arteta and Arsenal but who was great when I watched him for Saint Etienne a couple times and who seem to be doing really great on loan at Nice.

Maybe we can pull a Martinez on them again?

Or we just go straight to the source and pick up Saidou Sow who is still only 18 but I suspect will be the next young CB to be snapped up from the Saint Etienne academy after Kurt Zuma, Wesley Fofana and William Saliba. He's still a year or 2 away from PL level thou.

Edited by sne

12 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

I think players that can’t get in at a club in the Champions League then look at clubs that could qualify next season.  Where do you find such clubs ????  Next step down is Europa League.

I also think national managers want players to be used to travelling internationally and performing well against clubs that play a different style than the player is used to.  Playing in the Europa demonstrates this.

Ok here’s one for you. Finish 6th, a Europa semi final next season and a 10-14th placed finish. Or finish 7th and have a genuine push for top 4 next year with no additional games. With one would you take?

edit: for the record I want Europe. I’m having to accept our league form will inevitably suffer with it. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's what I mean, we bought Targett off Southampton after he spent a year at Fulham on loan because he wasn't 1st choice 

We haven't bought a first choice player in years, it's really rare for us 

To be fair, I feel from this summer onwards, we will be operating in a higher market/budget.

We don't need as many players, and should/will now be a stable Premier League club, with Premier League money.

It's tweaks and proven quality in certain areas we might go for now IMO.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok here’s one for you. Finish 6th, a Europa semi final next season and a 10-14th placed finish. Or finish 7th and have a genuine push for top 4 next year with no additional games. With one would you take?

edit: for the record I want Europe. I’m having to accept our league form will inevitably suffer with it. 

Clearly the second, but I could just as easily ask, do you want 7th and struggle to attract players to improve the team, or 5th, take advantage of COVID economics and attract a couple of worldies and win the Premier and Europa League next season ??

Edited by Villaphil
Spelt Europa wrong

2 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Clearly the second, but I could just as easily ask, do you want 7th and struggle to attract players to improve the team, or 5th, take advantage of COVID economics and attract a couple of worldies and win the Premier and Europa League next season ??

Fair enough but I think Europa will mean we struggle in the league. It’s just too many games. I’m happy with that, I’d take a hit in league placing if it meant a European journey.  I just don’t think many fans would feel the same way.

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

At the risk of starting the Brentford thread again (😆) Ivan Toney would be a great foil to Ollie. He’s scored 22 in 27 in the Champ and I would imagine we could get him for a half decent price... or we could wait and see and then he’ll probs be more £££.

Half decent price and Brentford don’t go in the same sentence.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough but I think Europa will mean we struggle in the league. It’s just too many games. I’m happy with that, I’d take a hit in league placing if it meant a European journey.  I just don’t think many fans would feel the same way.

There actually is half decent prize and TV-money now in the Europa League now (maybe not by PL standards but it has gone up) and the winner does get a place in the CL.

I'd love for us to have a run in Europe and I think it would be a valuable learning thingy for the players. Obviously not if it meant we'd get relegated but I don't see that happening. Honestly don't see us qualifying for the CL through league placing happening anytime soon either unless a bunch of the clubs higher up totally implodes and go bust.

• Like 1