General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

47 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Say what you will about Jon Moss, but watching him ‘run’ is really entertaining if you imagine he’s not refereeing professional football but acting in a remake of the Benny Hill Show theme. 

Strange Fact: Jon Moss used to be James Milner PE teacher,  I assume from Milner fitness levels that Moss was as shit a teacher as he was a referee

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm his post match interview Luke shaw claimed that the ref told maguire that he didn't give man utd a penalty because he knew there would be a backlash after 

Because the ref knows the rules are nonsense. Never in a million years is that a pen. Running away from goal and if Hudson-Odoi doesn't touch it then it hits Greenwood below the sleeve. Can also argue that Greenwood slightly lifts CHO's arm towards the ball. Sod whatever the "rules" are, a pen should never be given for that.

• Like 1

VAR isn't there to help him give corners and goal kicks the right way 

Made some baffling minor decisions, the penalty was inconsistent as he then gave a couple of identical fouls elsewhere on the pitch

Said in the match thread - my 10p on the red card is that el ghazi is close enough to the edge of the box to feasibly take a shot, which would be classed as a goal scoring opportunity, yes if he keeps running there is cover that will get to him but theoretically el ghazi can take a 30 yard shot with his first touch after beating Jagielka so it's harsh but not necessarily wrong

I thought it was more of a red than the VP game, Jagielka knows what he's doing and even tries to sell it as pulling out but it's cynical as **** 

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Regarding that Fulham goal, I thought the rule had been changed? That now an arm needs to be in an unnatural position? Ridiculous 

Not if it immediately leads to a goal being scored apparently, then any touch of the arm at all is a foul. And agreed it is absolutely ridiculous because it would've hit his body and had the exact same result if he didn't have an arm. And unfortunately VAR actually got this one "right" in that they implemented the law correctly, it's just the law is bollocks.

• Thanks 1

It's the same with these sleeve offsides too. It's not VAR that's the problem, it's that they keep "clarifying" the rules to the point that they've completely killed the spirit of them.

On 02/03/2021 at 19:48, Brumstopdogs said:

While it might give us more transparency, I can see the hatred Mike Dean will receive after he justifies a wrong decision. 

For the refs it will be much worse.

But I guess it's not about the ref's feelings, it's about making sure we have a well refereed football league. So I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

Not until July though, I thought they'd decided to shake things up mid-season again.

I'd happily see them just roll things back a  decade or two and tell them to stop **** about trying to fix things.

41 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

They've changed the rules again.

Good. I can't believe the rule was written that way in the first place. How could they not have foreseen the exact scenario from the Fulham disallowed goal? They've had a goal chalked off because a player had the audacity to have an arm and was holding it in exactly the position he's told to to avoid a handball.

As usual it's a smaller club in a relegation battle getting stooged. Can you imagine if this had happened to Manchester United or Liverpool?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Not until July though, I thought they'd decided to shake things up mid-season again.

I'd happily see them just roll things back a  decade or two and tell them to stop **** about trying to fix things.

Exactly this, when you fix something that means it was broken.

Football never felt broken to me, it never needed all this shit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Good. I can't believe the rule was written that way in the first place. How could they not have foreseen the exact scenario from the Fulham disallowed goal? They've had a goal chalked off because a player had the audacity to have an arm and was holding it in exactly the position he's told to to avoid a handball.

As usual it's a smaller club in a relegation battle getting stooged. Can you imagine if this had happened to Manchester United or Liverpool?

yes i can. the difference is that the rule will have been changed with immediate effect

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

If it had happened to Man Utd, it would have been an immediate change.

Edited by Jono62

Â