NYE Chat - Greatest moment as a villa fan ?

hippo

For me it was seeing our coca cola cup final win against Man utd, what a wonderful game it was and we won 3-1. Dalian Atkinson and Dean Saunders with goals, what a team we had then.

Having supported the club since the mid 70's there's been a few memorable ones, but personally having flown to London from Australia for the Championship play-off final in 2019 was a day I'll never forget.

• Like 1

1. Beating Arsenal 3-1 at the Emirates in 2013. The match that got me hooked.

2. Playoff final at Wembley 2019.

3a. The FA Cup semifinal win in 2015 against Liverpool

3b. 7-2 smashing of Liverpool a couple months ago.

Happy New Years everybody and UTV

• Thanks 2

Easily the playoff final v Derby. Having been there the year previous for the Fulham game and experiencing that low just made it all the more special. 

The Albion 2nd leg and the final in that couple weeks was something else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Farlz said:

Easily the playoff final v Derby. Having been there the year previous for the Fulham game and experiencing that low just made it all the more special. 

The Albion 2nd leg and the final in that couple weeks was something else. 

Good shout on the penalties vs West Brom. That was special too

Last year at Wembley for me.

The significance of it, the nature of it, the fact that I and we had been there 12 months prior suffering polar opposite emotions.

Was there with my old man, he and I have had a strained relationship for some time to say the least, before the game 12 months prior against Fulham we almost came to blows outside the ground so to celebrate with him had some poignancy.

I actually blacked out when McGinn scored, really weird and only time ever happened to me, I came round on the floor after a couple of seconds. In true Dad fashion he didn’t check to see if I was okay or anything, when I mentioned it after the game he said he thought I was just crying 🤣

• Like 3

That I've actually seen in person, either the pitch invasion vs West Brom in the FA Cup in 2015, beating Liverpool in the semi-final in the same year or the 4-2 comeback against Reading in the FA Cup in 2010.

As a fan overall though probably the play-off final in 2019. Wasn't there and in the grand scheme of things it was simply getting back to where we belonged, but it definitely felt massive.

Tranmere semi final at VP. As a 14yo, it was magical for me! Inter Milan later that year was also epic. Atmosphere was electric in both games

• Like 1

Suppose I’m getting a bit old in the tooth now, have been to everyFinal we’ve been to since 1971 (Spurs). As others have said, Highbury and Rotterdam were truly brilliant days. But for me personally it is 23 December 1970. League Cup semi, second leg at VP. Third Division team against the club who’d been Champions of Europe 2 years previously, boasting Best, Charlton, Kidd etc. 58,677 saw us reach Wembley, incredible night, literally finished the match standing 10 yards from where I’d started. I was 15 years old, never really seen us compete with the best. Left that match along with thousands of other euphoric Villa fans. We knew a long road back lay before us, but we just knew we would be back. The rest is history. 

• Like 3

Funny game was, if my memory serves me right, where we played Blues in a friendly, were 5-0 up and Brian Little (our then manager) came on, which was taking the pee further...

I've tried to look to see if my memory was correct on the internet but cant find anything, anybody else remember that game at the Blues ground? or is it one of my dreams...must have been in the 90's if it was

13 hours ago, regular_john said:

Watching the 1996 league Cup final with my dad in his hospital room. We went absolutely mad when the goals went in. Like a typical kid, I did a Klinsmann across the wooden floor and had to have the nurse come in to sort out my bloody knees.

He passed away just a few months later. It was one of the last things we did together and I'll never forget it.

Incredible, thanks for sharing

Greatest moments?

1. Paul Merson winner against Coventry

2. Gareth Barry wonder goal v spurs for the draw 

3. 5-1 vs blues

4. 7-2 vs Liverpool

5. youngs goal vs Everton

6. Laursen Header vs Ajax (that was the loudest I’ve ever heard villa park). Even louder than Collymores curler in Europe. 

Many great days for me over the years, the Wembley final when we got promoted against Derby was one for sure. It truly felt like we had somehow escaped oblivion after nearly going Bankrupt under Xia.

That amazing day in Rotterdam was of course up there too as me & my mates went over on the Train/Ferry/Coach special... what a day that was & i can still now clearly remember the excitment on the first leg of the journey (train from New st) & feeling as though we were invincible even though everyone other than Villa fans fancied Bayern (which was half the German national team effectively) to win it. The singing & drinking on the ferry over to Ostend and the sweltering 30+ degrees on the 3rd leg of the journey on one of hundreds of coaches between Ostend & Rotterdam and after a real nail biting final when Jimmy Rimmer scared the bejesus out of us all going off early in the game & making way for a rooky Nigel Spink, the European cup glistening with a 1000 camera flashes bouncing off it as Dennis Mortimer proudly lifted it into the evening sky. What a day!

The only time that was topped was that day at Highbury in 1980 Arsenal (a) when still as a school kid, i went in the North bank (home end) with our colours on, on my own. This was due to my mate & his dad having tickets and thinking i had too (i didn't but didn't tell them as i knew his dad would refuse to take me otherwise & i was so desperate to be there) So i ended up being helped into their end by a friendly guy & his son who made me hide my scarf but could do nothing about the Villa badges sewn into the back my denim jacket, so the guy kindly stood behind me through the turnstiles so the stewards & Arsenal fans didn't see them. initially at least. They then told me if i sidled along a thin strip of terracing which went right down the length of the side of the pitch i would be able to stand next to where the Villa (Clock end) were. I did this and found there were quite a few Villa fans bunched up there but i think some Gooners must have been in there & saw my colours and prior to KO it all started to kick off just behind me. That was when bizarrrely i ended up on the Pitch with Pele!! He was just being walked into the centre circle with everybody singing "sign him up sign him up sign him up" and as it went off behind me i saw my chance and climbed the little fence in front of me onto the pitch, i ran across (so yes this was my claim to fame as i shared the pitch with Pele :) ) and leaped onto the fence housing the Villa fans before dive bombing into the arms of my fellow villains!! Shame we lost but when news trickled through that we had won due to Ipswich's result we went wild!! I remember the whole of the M1 being seized up and all the Villa partying & chanting on it celebrating our famous tilte win.

What wonderful times.

• Like 1

Â