VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

14 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I might give the Wire a go.  I never got past episode 1. If it is like a good book then I should treat it as such.

There’s a reason why I referenced Anna Karenina earlier. The Wire truly is Tolstoyan.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is like when Bowie or that man from fast and furious died. I am yearning for a high profile death to bring some normality back to this thread. 

For me he's high profile but the shame in his death is that because of his talent he should have been much bigger 

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

seems to be understanding them, the pace and then getting your head around the ensemble cast are the main problems

the cast in particular is what makes the show so good, there is no tony soprano or walter white, there's 10+ brilliant well developed characters from which you can pick your favourite

and omar will definitely be one of them

For me it was getting past the way they were all speaking - the Baltimore slang along with all the street talking. I had to have subtitles on for the first few episodes to make sure I didn't miss anything. I think I've described it before as like going to watch a shakespeare play at the RSC. For the first few minutes you don't have a clue what's going on but then your ear adjusts to their manner of speaking and you're generally fine.

Part of it is that by it's nature you're listening to wire tap conversations with people who have Baltimore street accents, but they're also talking in code because they know they might be being listened to. That makes it much worse.

You do just have to appreciate the authenticity that went into The Wire, including using genuine Baltimore gang members in pretty major roles (I think Snoop?). It's a show that really never talked down to it's audience with massive exposition dumps and really committed to what it was trying to achieve. Definitely my favourite of all time.

• Like 1

Michael K Williams was on Anthony Bourdain in the Brooklyn episode of No Reservations and you could tell what a great man the former must’ve been because of everyone they walked past in the street knowing and greeting him, not for being famous but because they all actually knew him in his neighbourhood. RIP both.

Snoop? None of this is selling it to me. Black street culture/drugs/gangs/hip hop? Nah. 

Come on, let's have another dead celeb so we can stop talking about the bloody Wire. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Susan Anway, sometime vocalist in The Magnetic Fields has died. 

I don’t think she was involved on 69 Love Songs, which I loved, so I don’t know her work. Still sad, and this news is a reminder to listen to The Magnetic Fields more often than I do. 

37 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I don’t think she was involved on 69 Love Songs, which I loved, so I don’t know her work. Still sad, and this news is a reminder to listen to The Magnetic Fields more often than I do. 

No nothing to do with 69 love songs, I do like those early albums she was on but my favourite Merritt work is without her, 69 Love Songs and the debut The 6ths album, Wasps Nest. If you have the opportunity its well worth a listen. 

• Thanks 1

Ah, very sad news... Michael Chapman has died. One of the greats of English guitar-slinging singer-songwriting. So happy that he had a new musical lease of life, as it were, in the last ten years or so. A true individual and a unique talent. RIP.

• Sad 1