VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The vast majority of people watch the first 2 or 3 episodes and think "meh, I don't see what the fuss is about". Including me.

Believe me, it's worth it. It is absolutely superb.

seems to be understanding them, the pace and then getting your head around the ensemble cast are the main problems

the cast in particular is what makes the show so good, there is no tony soprano or walter white, there's 10+ brilliant well developed characters from which you can pick your favourite

and omar will definitely be one of them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, djdabush said:

Give it time, takes about half a season to really get into. People also struggle with season 2 as it's very different to season 1 but persevere. 

I gave up after episode 1. Same with Game of Thrones. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I’m not really one to speak here, because Breaking Bad never did it for me, but anyway, giving up on the wire after 1 episode was a mistake. Once you get over the unfamiliarity of the location, accents, culture, it’s a masterpiece of TV. Given you enjoy the Scandi stuff , it’s worth revisiting the Wire, IMO. 

• Like 3

Just now, blandy said:

I’m not really one to speak here, because Breaking Bad never did it for me, but anyway, giving up on the wire after 1 episode was a mistake. Once you get over the unfamiliarity of the location, accents, culture, it’s a masterpiece of TV. Given you enjoy the Scandi stuff , it’s worth revisiting the Wire, IMO. 

Yep. Honestly like 99% of people aren't hooked by the first few episodes of the Wire.

I was the same. After 3 or 4 I was messaging my mate saying I didn't know why he'd recommended it to me.

Now I rate it as the greatest show of all time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I gave up after episode 1.

The disussion he has generated within this thread alone should make you curious. It's a clichéd meme to call The Wire a masterpiece in character development and writing. It's clichéd because it's very true.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Join us again tomorrow on «Mike’s hot takes» as we discuss topics such as;

- Anna Karenina and why ten pages was enough for me. 

and

- It’s really just a book about some old guy and a fish. 

Thanks for watching, and as we always say «f*** it, life’s too short for patience anyway!» 

;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

No **** way 😭 that's a proper horrible shocker, early reports saying drug overdose 

Not just omar, brilliant actor should have been in way more, the wire, boardwalk, the night of, when they see us all excellent 

yep. he had charisma to burn. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Breaking Bad can't hold a matchstick to the Wire. But the Wire is very specific to urban East Coast USA and Baltimore in particular, obviously. Lots of lingo and cultural references that would be lost on a viewer from abroad or older American who doesn't want the bother of reading between the lines to glean context and meaning.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Honestly like 99% of people aren't hooked by the first few episodes of the Wire.

I remember watching the opening scene with McNulty and the kid on the stoop and thinking that it seemed annoying. Restarted it later on and by the end of the first episode I was hooked.

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Join us again tomorrow on «Mike’s hot takes» as we discuss topics such as;

- Anna Karenina and why ten pages was enough for me. 

and

- It’s really just a book about some old guy and a fish. 

Thanks for watching, and as we always say «f*** it, life’s too short for patience anyway!» 

Didn't even start Anna Karenina. I have read War and Peace, though. And The Old Man and the Sea (although it's probably my least favourite Hemingway book). Won't touch Dickens with a bargepole, though. 

Anyway, we're getting off topic, this is all for the books and TV threads. 

Somebody is bound to drop dead shortly. 

28 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

The Wire is more like a book than most TV shows in that it doesn’t go for the “leave every episode on a cliffhanger so they’ll come back” approach to it’s format.  You get long character arcs, you get people who come across as mere background characters becoming major players in the plot (Exhibit A: the reason why this thread is currently blowing up) and as a result the payoffs are excellent. If you like long form stuff then The Wire is arguably the best example of it in television. It’s emphatically not a police procedural. It’s s not even really a show about cops and robbers, a lot of the criminal characters are sympathetic and relatable and there are whole seasons where things like trade unions and the school system are basically what the show is about.  It’s an astonishingly good bit of work and joyfully it rewards multiple viewings as you realise just how much stuff you missed the first time round.   

The montage in the last episode wraps it all up perfectly 

Spoiler

It's a show about the city and how that city and its politics and its systems makes its characters what they are, not how it's characters make the city what it is 

• Like 2

The Wire is amazing. Took me a few episodes to click with it. The large cast and the dialect make it hard to follow initially. There is no 'dumbing down' for people, you have to pick it up quickly as you go along. Seasons 1, 3 and 4 are amazing. 2 is different. 5 was perhaps the weakest but I do like the last scene. 

As @villa4europe says

Spoiler

Its a film about the city of Baltimore. Not about any specific plot

RIP Michael Kenneth Williams

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Breaking Bad can't hold a matchstick to the Wire. But the Wire is very specific to urban East Coast USA and Baltimore in particular, obviously. Lots of lingo and cultural references that would be lost on a viewer from abroad or older American who doesn't want the bother of reading between the lines to glean context and meaning.

That's me out, then.   And right after everyone else had just about convinced me to give it a try!

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

That's me out, then.   And right after everyone else had just about convinced me to give it a try!

Only if you don't want to bother figuring out what the slang is. I'd give it a go.