Midweek Football 15/17 December

andykeenan

They are 2nd in the league. I'm sure they would have been happy with a point but also had the best chances in the 2nd half against a side which hasn't lost in 60+ matches at home in the Premier League and then conceded at the death it was hardly a bus of West Brom proportions yesterday.

His style has always prioritised defence and not conceding many chances, which rarely leads to open games but I think the criticism is OTT. People will see want they want to see I guess, on both sides of the argument.

13 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

I'm not arsed to spend the next 10 minutes finding stats to spin for my narrative, but using a result against Arsenal to prove anything is reaching a bit you know 

Don’t worry about it. You’d be wasting your time if you’re going to be so selective.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

They are 2nd in the league. I'm sure they would have been happy with a point but also had the best chances in the 2nd half against a side which hasn't lost in 60+ matches at home in the Premier League and then conceded at the death it was hardly a bus of West Brom proportions yesterday.

His style has always prioritised defence and not conceding many chances, which rarely leads to open games but I think the criticism is OTT. People will see want they want to see I guess, on both sides of the argument.

2 shots on target, one was the goal, the other was a tame free kick by Dier. In contrast, Liverpool had 11. The Bergwijn chance was the only real chance they fashioned from open play besides that and it was straight up route 1 90's football that led to it.

I'm just some dumbass on the internet, but I think if you play for a point, especially against the really good teams, there's always the chance that you end up with zero points and that just doesn't seem like an intuitive strategy for a team trying to win silverware. We've seen it play out with us in the Championship. Of course Mourinho is a master at it, with 20 trophies to his name to show for it, so he obviously gets more leeway.

It seems football has largely moved away from those kinds of strategies, with even the minnows playing progressively against top teams nowadays and more and more of the managers who employ such strategies being phased out of the game.

• Like 2

Apart from the big teams they’ve beat, and all the goals they’ve scored, and the great goal difference, and the league position, and the Europe position (top), and the thrashing of United, Tottenham are a joke and the fans will be getting sick of it and just won’t tolerate it much longer.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apart from the big teams they’ve beat, and all the goals they’ve scored, and the great goal difference, and the league position, and the Europe position (top), and the thrashing of United, Tottenham are a joke and the fans will be getting sick of it and just won’t tolerate it much longer.

Talk about a strawman and selective contextualization. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Talk about a strawman and selective contextualization. 

So because you say Jose has been cautious tonight (but as I proved his record shows he isn’t always cautious against the big teams) it’s all bad? I don’t understand the argument you’re trying to build against Jose.

Just now, Genie said:

So because you say Jose has been cautious tonight (but as I proved his record shows he isn’t always cautious against the big teams) it’s all bad? I don’t understand the argument you’re trying to build against Jose.

No I'm not saying it's bad at all, that's not even close to the point I'm making. They're in a really good place from a neutral point of view. My point about Jose is a wider criticism of his tactics and how it looks like the game has moved past it. I have no skin in that game though, so I don't care if he can't win Spurs any trophies as a result.

My main point is just gauging and predicting fan reaction in the event they don't win a trophy, going by what I've seen and heard from Spurs fans this season. The consensus seems to be that they're perfectly happy with this football as long as it wins them silverware which was the whole point of bringing in Mourinho. That doesn't mean they like the football though, regardless of what a cursory glance at some stats might suggest.

Spurs have 53 goals in 23 games so far this season in all competitions, they will easily break the 100 mark and could even do that in the league. The football isnt sparkling but it gets goals and is effective

They also destroyed Southampton away which has been left out of the results being praised

• Like 1

Unsurprisingly, spurs are playing like a Mourinho team: Typically hard to break down, good from set pieces and deadly on the counter.

They will bully the smaller sides where their overall quality lets them, but they sit very deep against teams that can match that quality, allowing them possession and position.

It's not always pretty, but it's largely effective.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Spurs have 53 goals in 23 games so far this season in all competitions, they will easily break the 100 mark and could even do that in the league. The football isnt sparkling but it gets goals and is effective

They also destroyed Southampton away which has been left out of the results being praised

Southampton game was odd.

Their back 4 stood flat on the half way line and got done by the most simple of combination passes for almost every goal. I'm not sure you'll see many games like that any time soon 

2 hours ago, penguin said:

FFS I really can't stand Liverpool and I'm starting to feel the same way about Klopp.

I hope City pull their finger out their arse because I can't handle them winning back to back titles and never hearing the end of how they are the greatest side the world has ever seen.

If that’s how they go down in history then it makes our thrashing of them all the better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Southampton game was odd.

Their back 4 stood flat on the half way line and got done by the most simple of combination passes for almost every goal. I'm not sure you'll see many games like that any time soon 

Except Leeds, the best team in the land, sat in 13th 👀

• Thanks 1

Tottenham have gone very defensive in recent games so all those stats about how many goals they have scored are bit misleading as the goals are starting to dry up and they rely on very much on Kane and Son. Liverpool deserved to win but they were the side always tryiing to press for victory. Sure they had a couple of very good chances the second half. They should have scored them to be fair. Both were bad misses. The first one hitting the post was no bad luck, Son would have put that in the corner of the net. . Liverpool had far more chances although not as clear cut because Spurs defended very well. But then they concede a late goal from a  corner. So no Jose! The better team didn't loose. 

Â