Happy Christmas or Something (2020)

Seat68

Started decorations this week which is about three weeks earlier than normal. That’s what 2020 has done to me.

also a tree on first weekend of December and still need to get some various bits for Christmas. 

I’ve booked the whole of the festive period off. Had to be done. 

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, because 2020 has been shite, you start Xmas early, guaranteeing that by mid December it will have become totally stale? 

In a bad year, you need to make Xmas more special than ever. So you hold back for a proper intense few days around 25th Dec. 

I actually love Xmas, but unlike Roy Wood, I emphatically do NOT want it every day. 

When I was 20 (a long time ago  - 1976) I went to Vienna for a week, in mid-October, and they had all the Yuletide* decorations up already. It felt so strange. Back home in Norhern Norway at the time, nothing like that happened until 1st Sunday in Advent - it was unthinkable. Likewise, back then, Saturday treats were for Saturdays. Nowadays, Saturday treats have become an everyday occurrence, both for kids and grown-ups, and you will find the Yuletide* items in the shops from mid-September.

* Side note: I'm with you every inch of the way on making the holidays short and thus more special - but I beg to differ on one point: the Xmas spelling. To me, it's an Americanism. I'd love to hear someone actually pronounce it as it's spelt... Perhaps it's because English isn't my first language and thus, the word Christmas doesn't really have the implications of believing in some supernatural being? The word kristmesse (Christmas) is rarely used in Norwegian, 99,99% of the time it's jul (Yule/youletide), harking back to the days before Christianity had reached Northern Europe and people were celebrating that the darkness had been at it's lowest, and hoping that if everyone did things in the correct manner (e.g. not stirring the pot or doing any other circular motion counter-clockwise) the sun would indeed rise higher and higher again, and the circle of life would get a new turn of the wheel. 

• Thanks 1

I’m also of the view, why ruin the festive period just because 2020 has been a shitty year. Very odd.

Drinking and eating too much food, sweets, watching movies, PJs all day, chilling with the family. This is what Christmas is about for me and you can’t do it from the start of November. You break up from work and your car doesn’t leave the drive for a week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I like the jul/yule thing, but I don't mind including all the baby Jebus stuff, if only because it's what I grew up with. Winter solstice, babies in mangers, whatever, chuck it all in. I only use Xmas because I mostly can't be bothered to type out the longer word. But I'm no Xtian, anyway.  ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I hate early January when everything goes back to being gloomy, pissing down and dark for 18 hours a day.

Yeah me too.  It's actually the worst thing about Christmas. Everything just feels dour and desolate afterwards. 

Last year we talked about getting some permanent LEDS installed above the sliding doors between front and back rooms just for a bit of all year round twinkle. 

Our tree and decs won’t be going up for some time yet.

But we’ve prepped, I ain’t shopping for prezzies in December.

I’ve just got the enjoyment to look forward to, rather than worrying about amazon deliveries and queues for shops and crowds in town.

Really enjoyed hearing kids having a good time on the mini fairground rides and whatnot yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

We put our tree and some of the decs up this week.  We've gone a month earlier than usual.

I hear you about it getting stale, but it doesn't for me.  I'm not Christmas-mad, far from it, but I love the twinkly lights.  I hate early January when everything goes back to being gloomy, pissing down and dark for 18 hours a day.

Normally I'd be frowning at people with the tree up already, but this year anything goes.  It's been properly shit, and if something as small as this can help people feel a bit better then they should go for it.

Same here.  We did ours yesterday and probably 2/3 weeks earlier than usual.  

Having an 8 year old and 6 year old waiting for Santa already just adds to the magic, so why not.  We had a really good family day yesterday and watched Home Alone later, whilst having a takeaway.  Priceless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's been properly shit, and if something as small as this can help people feel a bit better then they should go for it.

But is it gonna last? After 2 weeks of looking at the decorations it’s still not December it’s kinda diluting the magic.

Why not leave them up all year for all round Christmas magic 🙂 

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

So, because 2020 has been shite, you start Xmas early, guaranteeing that by mid December it will have become totally stale? 

In a bad year, you need to make Xmas more special than ever. So you hold back for a proper intense few days around 25th Dec. 

I actually love Xmas, but unlike Roy Wood, I emphatically do NOT want it every day. 

Nah, would never get totally stale. Just bringing the festive relax massively early.  Most of December will be annual leave for me. By the time I take my final few days I’ll be off from 14-Dec until 4-Jan. 

plus doing Christmas this year so the day itself will be fairly hectic for me. 

Â