Happy Christmas or Something (2020)

Seat68

20 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've had my arse in my hands since my nephew was stabbed to death two weeks ago, so right now "4 weeks time" feels like a lifetime away.

Breaking from societal convention, and my own Christmas tradition, is making things feel a bit better in the here and now.

And as I've learned recently, the here and now is all we've got.

Under the circs, you get a free pass, mate. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've had my arse in my hands since my nephew was stabbed to death two weeks ago, so right now "4 weeks time" feels like a lifetime away.

Breaking from societal convention, and my own Christmas tradition, is making things feel a bit better in the here and now.

And as I've learned recently, the here and now is all we've got.

I completely understand why you’d want to create a immediate distraction from the awful situation with your nephew 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Maybe. Let me know in 4 weeks time when there’s still 2 weeks to go if it still feels magical

Not sure if you have young children but believe me the magic won’t be lost in 4 weeks time in our house. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Not sure if you have young children but believe me the magic won’t be lost in 4 weeks time in our house. 

Mine are 10 and 8. I think having the decorations up for 6 weeks before the big day will dilute it down. Each to their own though, it’s perfectly harmless. 

• Like 3

Personally, I wouldn't put the tree or deckies up until December 20th (and then go apeshit with it), but the compromise in our family is that they can go up any time after our daughter's birthday on the 8th. 

We are booked into a restaurant near my brother's in Bournemouth for Christmas dinner so hopefully we will be able to do that.  We are doing the Secret Santa thing too which I had a similar reaction as @mjmooney but as I'm basically on unpaid leave until lockdown is over then it's probably a good thing I'm not spending a huge amount on presents.  I just hope lockdown is over in the first half of December but I'm not holding my breath.

Not feeling at all Christmassy at the moment - too much on at work and it’s still November.

we’ll probably wait until the second weekend of December to put up our decorations though.

I do love Christmas though but prefer a quiet day with just the wife and our two kids. Christmas Day for us is a great day of food, presents and chilling out! 

both sets of parents live miles away which doesn’t allow for Christmas Day rushing around each folks houses. Instead we go visit for a few days either before or after Christmas (sadly not likely this year though) 

• Like 1

I can see that for many people, Christmas is a rare chance to get the family together (particularly if they live far away), but that's not the case for us - our parents are all long gone, our children and grandchildren all live ten minutes drive away, and we see them every week (sometimes several times a week). My missus rather guiltily admitted the other day that she wouldn't mind if we just had Christmas day to ourselves. 

• Like 2

I don't bother with decorations. I live alone and spend the day at my folks anyway. Not all day as that would be too much but a good few hours. That's what its about for me, seeing the folks, getting fed and relaxing and chatting. Its probably the only time I eat with my parents in a year unless we go out for a special occasion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Personally, I wouldn't put the tree or deckies up until December 20th (and then go apeshit with it), but the compromise in our family is that they can go up any time after our daughter's birthday on the 8th. 

That's a sensible cut off date, do the birthday then move on to xmas

Personally I do the first Sunday in December but this year with the 1st being the Tuesday I'll do it at the end of November 

I'm really not bothered what other people do to be honest, the need to put it on social media is something different though 

14 hours ago, Xann said:

What's a good present from the UK to send to Scandinavia?

Tried the local gin before, Royal Mail intercepted it.

external-content.duckduckgo-3.jpg.224cb6cd4f75f6e3b0182fa3cf1677f0.jpg

Thinking maybe Black Bomber and some quince jelly?

How about a Molotov Cocktail? 

EvilTwin+Molotov+Cocktail+(583x800).jpg

No doubt @Xela has tried this and can give you an opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Xann said:

Quince jelly baffles me. It's one of those things that seems to get pushed to the side of everyone's plate.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

How about a Molotov Cocktail? 

Ta - Though I've had this one of theirs.

Photo0553.jpg.da032df5857556a641ee77d4b2b63178.jpg

Bloody awful out of 10 :)

26 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Quince jelly baffles me. It's one of those things that seems to get pushed to the side of everyone's plate.

If you like a strong cheese? Try that combo. Black Bomber is amazing, we got quince jelly from the same shop as we got the cheese. Much higher concentration of fruit vs sugar than jelly from M&S, and it was stunning!

https://www.hamishjohnston.com/cheese-toppage

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xann said:

Norwegian Customs webpage in English: https://www.toll.no/en/goods/gifts/

Alcohol and tobacco a definitive no-no. Likewise, meat and dairy products. Even before Covid-19, you couldn't legally bring potatoes or potted plants back with you from a shopping trip to Sweden.

A cheese might (or might not) make it through the customs, though the quince jelly should be ok.

I'd suggest things available in the UK that is close to impossible to find in Norway (or prohibitibly expensive). 

I ask any friends or family going to the UK to bring back food items such as Black treacle (cannot find it anywhere in Norway) or Malt vinegar (ridiculously expensive, if found at all)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TB said:

Norwegian Customs webpage in English: https://www.toll.no/en/goods/gifts/

Alcohol and tobacco a definitive no-no. Likewise, meat and dairy products. Even before Covid-19, you couldn't legally bring potatoes or potted plants back with you from a shopping trip to Sweden.

A cheese might (or might not) make it through the customs, though the quince jelly should be ok.

I'd suggest things available in the UK that is close to impossible to find in Norway (or prohibitibly expensive). 

I ask any friends or family going to the UK to bring back food items such as Black treacle (cannot find it anywhere in Norway) or Malt vinegar (ridiculously expensive, if found at all)

Thanks for that.

They're Finns as it goes.

Â