Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Be interesting to see what the club's stance is on transfers in Jan. I imagine they will be saying to Smith that he can sign 3/4 players in every Summer window and that any deals done in Jan will be taken from this allocation. 
If we keep signing players like Cash, Martinez, Watkins and Barkley in each window, we'll be fine. 

Personally I'd love us to sign a big defensive midfielder and a wide forward in Jan. We'd be unstoppable going forward with a wide player who is similar in quality to Barkley and Grealish (I don't know who that player is). I don't think we will though, clubs struggle to sign players in Jan, I'm just wondering if Covid will force selling clubs hands a little. 

• Like 3

Slightly off camber, but a player who was bought for a lot of money and is struggling to settle into the club he’s at would do really well at Villa imo....just the type of style that would suit us......Nicolas Pepe. Seems very undervalued by Arsenal fans, but I think he could be superb for someone like Villa.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Slightly off camber, but a player who was bought for a lot of money and is struggling to settle into the club he’s at would do really well at Villa imo....just the type of style that would suit us......Nicolas Pepe. Seems very undervalued by Arsenal fans, but I think he could be superb for someone like Villa.

The problem with players like that is they're already sat on more than Grealish. It would be foolish to bring a punt in on that kind of money.

Agree with your thinking he could do well here.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The problem with players like that is they're already sat on more than Grealish. It would be foolish to bring a punt in on that kind of money.

Agree with your thinking he could do well here.

I’d love us to go and get Brooks and continue on this path of signing young British players who will only get better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

He’s called Ismaila Sarr and he currently resides in Watford! He has the priceless attribute of being proven in English football and so (theoretically) should hit the ground running in January without the need to adjust. 

Will never happen. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Be interesting to see what the club's stance is on transfers in Jan. I imagine they will be saying to Smith that he can sign 3/4 players in every Summer window and that any deals done in Jan will be taken from this allocation. 
If we keep signing players like Cash, Martinez, Watkins and Barkley in each window, we'll be fine. 

Personally I'd love us to sign a big defensive midfielder and a wide forward in Jan. We'd be unstoppable going forward with a wide player who is similar in quality to Barkley and Grealish (I don't know who that player is). I don't think we will though, clubs struggle to sign players in Jan, I'm just wondering if Covid will force selling clubs hands a little. 

Some clubs may want to sell one or two of there big stars, those clubs who needs some cash because they have not been making what they normally would due to these times.

I thi k our Owners will put there hands in the pocket for both windows to be fair, I certainly do not think they will say to Smith if you buy now it will come from your Summer window. Our Owners have just spent near 250 mill dollars on one NBA player alone, so they are willing to spend massive for progression and to win things.

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

we don’t need anyone to survive so I wouldn’t be pushing the boat out for anyone. think we’d be better seeing where this squad can finish and building on it properly in the summer.

No we dont need anyone to survive your right, but we do need some reinforcement for depth and its needed because it was so easy for us to lose a few players all at once. I'd like to see another CDM or midfielder with a defensive and attacking mindset who can do both and play all around the midfield come in. A striker is still needed in case Watkins gets put out unless Wesley is very close to a return. A right winger as well but that's just me because I think no one is holding down the right properly and its be nice to find someone who can. So yes there are options we can take to still add upgrades or depth for one reason or another. If some clubs are selling and we know there players can add spice to us in January that aid in climbing the league, if the Owners are willing to back it then we should certainly go buy in Jan.

We are merely an injury or two away from a serious problem. If Grealish and Watkins were to be lost for any significant time then we’re bang in trouble. Ppl saying we’re fine need to have a reality check. Yes our 1st eleven is competitive when fit, but after those 1st teamers we’re light in quality. Swap Grealish and Watkins for ElGhazi and Davis and you soon start panicking about where the creativity is coming from, let alone the goals. So if there’s any chance at all to add players we’d like in January then we must take the opportunity. We cannot be complacent.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Some clubs may want to sell one or two of there big stars, those clubs who needs some cash because they have not been making what they normally would due to these times.

I thi k our Owners will put there hands in the pocket for both windows to be fair, I certainly do not think they will say to Smith if you buy now it will come from your Summer window. Our Owners have just spent near 250 mill dollars on one NBA player alone, so they are willing to spend massive for progression and to win things.

If they gave up that NBA player though, they give up the value of the entire franchise, well, at it's current value. They drafted him, and then built from as low as you can go in the league, to title contenders. It would've been like Chicago Bulls not offering Michael Jordan everything they could, or us not offering Grealish a competitive contract, if it was within our means.

Just look at Orlando not offering Shaq the money he wanted, over his inability to make free throws, they literally had a blank check to sign him, in the sense there was no cap on what they could offer him back then. I think he wanted roughly 200 million, and that was back then. He ends up in LA as a consequence, and LA go on to achieve another great dynasty. Where's Orlando been since then?

Edited by A'Villan

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Brooks, Buendia and Sarr would all improve us on the right I feel. 

Thoughts? Would they come? How much would they cost...?

£45m, £60m, £45m.

I think they'd all come if bid was accepted. I don't think we'll be getting any in Jan.

Going all out for eduardo in Jan gives us the option to move watkins out to the right if eduardo got up to speed quickly. Infinitely more dangerous than davis and Celtics money has drained with little income.

Covers 2 positions if watkins is moved right, a position he played most of his life in.

Power pace and grealish for the front 3 

Just can't risk traore in too many games or that watkins can play every game this season.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 1

After the collapse of the French TV deal a lot of clubs will no doubt have to cut costs and there will be a lot of talent available at a discount in January from Ligue 1. Marseille, Lille, and co are gunna have to sacrifice players so a bargain could be had... 

Also, FC Schalke are currently mired in shit and have a few talents worth a look at. Suat Sedar being the one I like the look of most to challenge Luiz / McGinn. Technically gifted 6ft box to box midfielder. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

£45m, £60m, £45m.

I think they'd all come if bid was accepted. I don't think we'll be getting any in Jan.

No way Buendia is £60m, no prem club would take a punt at £20m in the Summer when they would have taken it. He would be an asset, had some terrific moments and might look even better in a better team, but I think we might be looking at a higher calibre player now. I think Barkley points the way we are looking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One for the future, what about Noni Madueke (left footed midfielder) at PSV? His contract is up in the Summer and he is performing well at the moment? Represented England at youth levels.

Similarly, Nathan Collins at Stoke, young 6'4" centre back doing very well at the moment and in the Konsa mould.

• Like 1