Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

26 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Looking like there might be a fire sale at Lille. Maybe look at Soumaré?

Decent shout, I haven't seen much of him though.

We should have had Sangare in the summer, he went to PSV in the end for 9 million euro's which is basically robbery for such a low figure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I wonder if he'd be interested in terminating his contract with us to go and help his old club Forest. I know he's not a Forest fan, but he played his best football there and might feel like it would be a good return. (Although, he does seem like he's happy being a non-footballer nowadays)

His old club also need to want him for that to work.

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

His old club also need to want him for that to work.

I think the real question would be whether they could agree a wage and length of contract that both would be happy with. I reckon a Forest team firmly in a relegation battle would be more than happy to bring back a talented midfielder who scored buckets of goals from midfield for them.

I find it mind blowing people don't think we need another striker in January after watching that.

0-0 with 20 left in a game we've completely dominated and we make just one sub.....and that's a striker who hasn't scored a league goal in 3 years. At the very least we need a plan B strike option off the bench.

Imagine if Watkins had been injured at the end and we lose him for 4-5 games. That's the sort of thing that would mean the form would drop right off.

We don't even have to blow 30m on one either, plenty of decent options would be available on loan.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Looking like there might be a fire sale at Lille. Maybe look at Soumaré?

Jonathan David surely most obvious one to look at, I think he was mentoned at times last year given he was scoring loads in Belgium. Only 20 so huge potential.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Jonathan David surely most obvious one to look at, I think he was mentoned at times last year given he was scoring loads in Belgium. Only 20 so huge potential.

He's been an absolute disaster there. Looks so bad.

Could be a good one if we grab him on the cheap, shouldn't be going big though.

How anyone can think we aren't desperate for a striker is beyond me.

We've a real issue when we play teams that sit deep particularly at Villa Park and it will continue to be an issue with our current options, when you bring Davis on to try and nick a goal its pretty desperate.

It isn't a criticism of Smith, we are in our second season back in the PL obviously we are going to lack some quality but how you could watch our home games this season and not think we are desperate for a forward is staggering.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Decent shout, I haven't seen much of him though.

We should have had Sangare in the summer, he went to PSV in the end for 9 million euro's which is basically robbery for such a low figure.

I like Jonathan Bamba and Nanitamo Ikone from Lille. Don't know or have the foggiest of price guessing that it'll be a pretty penny. Pace power technical ability, vision and aggression. Goals too.

Edited by Sulberto21

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We've a real issue when we play teams that sit deep particularly at Villa Park and it will continue to be an issue with our current options, when you bring Davis on to try and nick a goal its pretty desperate.

It isn't a criticism of Smith, we are in our second season back in the PL obviously we are going to lack some quality but how you could watch our home games this season and not think we are desperate for a forward is staggering.

There does seem perception on here from a few that because we only play one upfront we only need one decent striker in the squad.

Man. United play one upfront yet have Greenwood and Rashford either side of Martial. O.k extreme example but I thought we'd play Ollie out wide at times but seems DS only sees him as a central option which surprises me.

Palace probably comparable example to us. Got Benteke who after years is finally scoring a few goals again, Ayew and Batshuyai aswell on the bench.

Seems for ages we've had the fewest number of strikers in the squad compared to every other prem team and vast majority of them all play one upfront aswell so seems DS isn't that fussed either. If Wesley hadn't got injured I'm not evne convinced we'd have signed a striker in that window given the quality we eventually came up with.

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's been an absolute disaster there. Looks so bad.

Could be a good one if we grab him on the cheap, shouldn't be going big though.

Benedetto would be a good one to get from French league, wasn't hugely impressed when I saw him play for Argentina a few years back when he was getting starts ahead of Dybala and Icardi but he's been good at Marseille, clever movement and decent finisher.

31 at end of season though so that rules us out but he's the type who'd be an excellent plan B option.

Just watching Torino geting smashed at Roma. They're in real danger of going down so Belotti will be very gettable at end of season if that was a serious link.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I find it mind blowing people don't think we need another striker in January after watching that.

0-0 with 20 left in a game we've completely dominated and we make just one sub.....and that's a striker who hasn't scored a league goal in 3 years. At the very least we need a plan B strike option off the bench.

Imagine if Watkins had been injured at the end and we lose him for 4-5 games. That's the sort of thing that would mean the form would drop right off.

We don't even have to blow 30m on one either, plenty of decent options would be available on loan.

If you want to bring a striker in on loan knock yourself out, it’s the cost that matters. We need to see how Watkins & Wesley work out before shelling out a big fee for a striker again.

I didn’t see our centre forward as the problem today and to be honest I haven’t seen much of a problem with him all season apart from him drifting wide too often leaving us light in the box when a cross comes in.

The issue is the service coming into him from the wide forwards and midfielders.

offensively that is where the money needs to go.

Having said that unless we have a huge pot of money to spend in January then a defensive midfielder is what I want and it needs to be noted there are quite a few squad players out the door next summer to be replaced also.

49 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d love us to try and spring Jovic out of Madrid. 4 sub appearances totaling 200 mins of football this season. Turns 23 this month. Ideal for us & fits the club’s business model. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If you want to bring a striker in on loan knock yourself out, it’s the cost that matters. We need to see how Watkins & Wesley work out before shelling out a big fee for a striker again.

I didn’t see our centre forward as the problem today and to be honest I haven’t seen much of a problem with him all season apart from him drifting wide too often leaving us light in the box when a cross comes in.

The issue is the service coming into him from the wide forwards and midfielders.

offensively that is where the money needs to go.

Having said that unless we have a huge pot of money to spend in January then a defensive midfielder is what I want and it needs to be noted there are quite a few squad players out the door next summer to be replaced also.

Wes won't be back until March, Davis should be out on loan. Don't see the point of throwing any many home games like last 3 or 4 because we haven't had a decent option to being off the bench after an hour when game is in balance.

DM is another position where it would be nice to strengthen but again can wait until the summer, not sure striker can if we want to finish top half.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

We need a wide forward more than we need a striker. If we’re to make one signing this January, it has to be a wide forward that can play a bit. 

That was Traore so I'd be surprised if we got in another. He hasn't been great but we have to give him more time like last season's intake.