Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you do, if you want to be any good.....if you just want to be an average team trundling along then maybe you don't.

It might be my personal opinion.....but I can tell you every pundit on TV would agree.....if you listen to them, they mention it regularly.

I wouldn't want a team full of them no, that is not what I am saying, I'm talking about balance.

another poster has commented eloquently on Dougie and John, calling them 8's not 6's......I think he is right.

Look, these are fine improvements we are looking at......so far they have done well, in a team with 5 clean sheets.....dougie and john are good players to keep.

Doug is a hybrid between 6 and 8 and John is no way a 6 at all definitely an 8 or 10 he would probably even be able to play in a wing position. 
Taking John from the 6 role in a 4231 and replacing him with an out and out defensive midfielder would improve is more than by a fine margin IMO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think boths Brooks and Buendia became unlikely the second we bought Traore.

If we are to buy a winger I'd rather want a Albrighton'esque one.

If we could obtain a player who can get crosses in early and well from the right hand side, then I think we’ll see even more from Watkins, whose movement and pace will see him on the end of those crosses. Trez isn’t a great crosser, and Traore has no right foot to send in a quick and early cross. Elmo is our best crosser but he doesn’t exactly hit the line and send crosses in from advanced positions near the touchline. So if we could get a good right sided forward then I think we’ll see a further improvement in goal output. Imagine Watkins attacking crosses bending away from the goalkeeper from a beckham type! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

If we could obtain a player who can get crosses in early and well from the right hand side, then I think we’ll see even more from Watkins, whose movement and pace will see him on the end of those crosses. Trez isn’t a great crosser, and Traore has no right foot to send in a quick and early cross. Elmo is our best crosser but he doesn’t exactly hit the line and send crosses in from advanced positions near the touchline. So if we could get a good right sided forward then I think we’ll see a further improvement in goal output. Imagine Watkins attacking crosses bending away from the goalkeeper from a beckham type! 

We need more from Cash, in that respect - more overlapping runs. 

7 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Bloody hell you’re difficult to please! We’ve won 6 of 10 games so far, including beating the reigning champions 7-2. Two of our losses can be attributed to poor VAR decisions in games we should have won against Brighton and West Ham. If we win our games in hand we’ll be sat in 3rd position and 1pt off top spot......with a third of the season gone. And you say we’ve done “alright”?! What did you expect from this season, 10 straight wins and a 6pt lead at the top?! 

A cursory look at the table shows you 3 points separates 6th and 13th the results this season are all over the place and everyone is picking up a good number of points, one of those games in hand is against Man City.

I wasn't even looking at points anyway I was looking at how we play and how we can improve when making the comment you replied to, the most obvious thing needed is an out and out defensive midfielder. 

7 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

We need to give Traore more time before looking to sign someone else for his position.

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

You answer your own point there.

Well, not really. At the current rate we will concede 49 goals over a 38 game season, which would have only been bettered by 8 teams last season. Sure, i would like us to concede even fewer, but I wouldn't call it a 'pressing need', particularly if we continue to score goals at the current rate? 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well, not really. At the current rate we will concede 49 goals over a 38 game season, which would have only been bettered by 8 teams last season. Sure, i would like us to concede even fewer, but I wouldn't call it a 'pressing need', particularly if we continue to score goals at the current rate? 

And when a few injuries come? One assumes it will be higher.

It is the most obvious upgrade in our first 11.

Replacing anyone else is simply an upgrade rather than fixing an issue.

8 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Depends what is available and I like your idea.  I would love some more pace in the team and would love a real pacey right sided forward that the likes of Jack and Ross can find clever passes to.  Additionally extra pace really puts opposition defences in heighten alert so may help with our exposed wings if the opposition fullbacks aren’t constantly attacking.

On 14/12/2020 at 19:22, jacketspuds said:

It might be Johnathan Ikone, who plays for Lille.

Looks decent. Linked with Chelsea and Leicester in the summer.

Ahh yes he's the one. Obviously I don't know how much he'd cost. But he's got the technical ability and extreme pace I crave in a forward. Plays from the right and he seems to drift between the 3 front positions.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’d still love to see Ismaila Sarr in the Villa squad, that’d be a tremendous option to have from January! 

Forgot about him, how has he done this season so far?  I havent heard anything.