Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This new Barkley is a joy to watch (as was young Barkley). I want as many ballers in our team as we can fit. He's going to be like 5th choice midfielder. What a 5th choice to have. From Dendoncker/Chambers/Tim to Barkley for £2m? Yeah I'll have some of that thank you very much.

So our central midfield options now cost even less

Dougie....15 mill

McGinn..2.7

Barkley..2

Tielemans.. 0

Kamara..0

Tim....0 

Yes. I know there is the huge wages to add to it but we got all of that for a third of the cost of a 31 year old Casemeiro. 

Its extremely good work by a recruitment team working with one hand behind their backs due to our far smaller revenue than any of our competitors for top 4 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I'm in the pro Barkley camp, but it does not mean every signing and every contract the club make in the Emery-Monchi era will be a good one. We'll have a few busts and toxic contracts along the way.

I’m sure we will… but, it’s not really worth us worrying about it and questioning the signing because of FFP concerns… 

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Dougie....15 mill

McGinn..2.7

Barkley..2

Tielemans.. 0

Kamara..0

Tim....0 

Yes. I know there is the huge wages to add to it but we got all of that for a third of the cost of a 31 year old Casemeiro. 

Its extremely good work by a recruitment team working with one hand behind their backs due to our far smaller revenue than any of our competitors for top 4 

Even accounting for the fact that I think we'll spend a decent amount on another CM this window it's still going to be an impressive set of numbers.

6 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Dougie....15 mill

McGinn..2.7

Barkley..2

Tielemans.. 0

Kamara..0

Tim....0 

Their combined annual wages are reputedly a third of Digne's weekly wage.. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, colhint said:

Debate all you like, good points and bad. I'm in the camp where Unai says yes I say yes.

I prefer the game where Unai says yes and I say no and it’s a bit awkward but we all know where it’s going anyway 😉

I am of one of his biggest detractors, but you cannot deny the body of work he's done at Luton this season.

If Unai and his team see something there, then I am in no place to judge.

Can't see him being a nailed down first XI player, and I think he would know that..

He would be a solid option off the bench, or rotation for cup games then I see no problems with this.

Outside of our starting crew we are fairly thin so he would definitely improve the overall depth of the squad.

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I am of one of his biggest detractors, but you cannot deny the body of work he's done at Luton this season.

If Unai and his team see something there, then I am in no place to judge.

Can't see him being a nailed down first XI player, and I think he would know that..

He would be a solid option off the bench, or rotation for cup games then I see no problems with this.

Outside of our starting crew we are fairly thin so he would definitely improve the overall depth of the squad.

This. Plus he knows many players here; Ezri, Emi, SJM, Dougie, Ollie, Cash and Big Ty. Not sure if he played with Luca at Everton. 

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chester Dad in fairness... You wanted Leon gone for free last season 👀

I'm like an Elephant! 🐘 

* Banter

You’re not wrong JV - Villa talk would be not be the same without you.😃

ps - He has work to do next year 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Nobody is "shook" so don't talk bollocks. Some just don't so any merit in bringing him back after his previous stint, or that it really improves the squad. It's hardly reinventing is it, managing to last a season after years of doing nothing playing in a Luton side that have been relegated. 😂

We aren't bringing him back based on his previous stint. As other posters have kindly pointed out to you on multiple occasions we are signing him based on this last year at Luton.

He did more than "manage to last a season" - he drew praise from all over including winning their player of the season. So much so that pundits/media began talking him up for an England return - all while playing for a Luton side that got relegated.

You don't like the signing and thats fine. Just don't try to back it up with such piss weak rhetoric. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Dougie....15 mill

McGinn..2.7

Barkley..2

Tielemans.. 0

Kamara..0

Tim....0 

Or..... all paid for by the sale of one Carney Chukwumeka with some change.

I’ve only skimmed the last two pages but am I getting this right, we buy him for 2 million and give him a 2 or 3 year deal on whatever wages we agree?

if so as long as the wages are sub 3m a year it isn’t the worst thing in the world, I’m still not enthusiastic 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Well he's better than Chambers and Tim. For £2m plus wages.

Wheres the negative here?

I don’t dispute that but that isn’t the level I aspire to

Really surprised that so many seem against this.

One of the best midfielders in the league this season, and he's available for next to nothing, low wages too.

Incredibly smart business as far as I'm concerned. Loving how astute our transfer business is these days, some of these cheap / free transfers we manage to get are unbelievable, Barkley just the latest in the list.

Yes he had a poor half a season while on loan with us a couple of years ago, but that's more than countered by being bloody brilliant all of this season for a struggling team. He wasn't that bad for us, and was coming back from injury and limited playing time. 

• Like 1

Just now, paul514 said:

I don’t dispute that but that isn’t the level I aspire to

I get what you mean but just think of overall squad depth, no signing to deepen the squad will be inspirational but we could do a lot worse than signing Ross, especially if he is in board with the role he will play.

Â