Ross Barkley

LondonLax

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Think Baena will still happen but Williams was never a realistic option with his wage demands being so outwageous, right?

They’re not even the same position. It’s like signing a centre back and saying “looks like we’re not signing a striker now” 😂

• Haha 2

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:
8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What the **** is this s***.

Yessss Barkley and Buendia.

SO HYPED BRO

@Delphinho123 bring back Tammy, sign Zaniolo permanently and then we can play Barkley, Buendia, Zaniolo with Tammy in front.

how excited are you?

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Think Baena will still happen but Williams was never a realistic option with his wage demands being so outwageous, right?

Sorry mate 😉 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Gerrard never had Barkley at Villa

Ha, you know as it all went ultimately tits up for him, my brain just automatically lumped him in under the Stevie Me-era.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Barkely isn't a DM and didn't play as a DM for Luton, he wasn't even playing that deep for them, and there's no way we would be signing him for that role in our team, am bemusied that people would think that would be the case. If he signs, we will still be signing an actual DM as Kamara alternative, because Barkley can't do that role, Barkley would more like Tieleman's alternative

I agree re: him definitely not being an outright DM/Kamara cover, but there were games this season where he literally was Luton's deepest midfielder. 

Obviously systems played by each team differs, but Luton played with a back three and had him in front as part of a midfield two. Villa on paper don't play with a back three but with one full back being advanced and the other tucking in, the end result is similar. Whether he was the more advanced of the pair or not tended to depend on who his partner was, but nonetheless that was the general role he played.

I would imagine the logic here is that he ticks boxes in terms of being cheap, home-grown and having the versatility to cover a couple of different roles in the set-up, even if some suit him more than others.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Very questionable bringing him back but tbf Emery did wonders for Tielemans.

You'd think one year deal heavily incentive based if so, because lads like Ross always seem to turn on when they have to fight for a new deal and then when they get a bit of stability it's gone.

First opinion I came to check. Fair play though man I know you're not his biggest fan but as you say in Emery we trust. 

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Good deal for us. Played well for Luton. Knows us and the league. Good level of experience. Free transfer to bolster numbers. Makes a lot of sense. Can’t all be £35m+ signings. 

6ft 2 as well so adds a bit of physicality to things too, I think Unai has more than earned my trust on these things so im going to go with his judgement and not a loan spell 3 years ago!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I agree re: him definitely not being an outright DM/Kamara cover, but there were games this season where he literally was Luton's deepest midfielder. 

Obviously systems played by each team differs, but Luton played with a back three and had him in front as part of a midfield two. Villa on paper don't play with a back three but with one full back being advanced and the other tucking in, the end result is similar. Whether he was the more advanced of the pair or not tended to depend on who his partner was, but nonetheless that was the general role he played.

I would imagine the logic here is that he ticks boxes in terms of being cheap, home-grown and having the versatility to cover a couple of different roles in the set-up, even if some suit him more than others.

We don’t necessarily need a Kamara type DM for every game.  We need players that can receive the ball in midfield, turn and either run into or pass into space. RB can definitely do that, as he’s shown this season.

• Like 1

We will also know his character and personality traits from being here before, which we know are incredibly important to Unai. 

This is as no-risk as signings go, if the club want him, I'm all for it.

11 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Barkley imo is a much better option for us than Baena for the touted fee. Baena is a good player better than Barkley but we do not need to be spend 40 mil quid on a position we have 7 players for already. Barkley adds another option there and can play in midfield too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VictoriabcVillan said:

A regista, or deep-lying playmaker, is regarded as a creative 6 sitting between defense and controlling the game’s tempo as well as recycling possession, exactly the type of midfield player that Barkley has morphed into under Edwards. Perhaps an early indication of his role change was when he was given the #6 shirt at his unveiling.

He was a creative 6. So he played similar to the role Luiz does for us now. He wouldn't be a Kamara replacement but he is bigger & more physical than Luiz & Tielemans are. Which I think would help massively. Having Kamara & Barkley together would really help us control midfield better in some games. 

He would be a very good squad player for us. Experienced & can play multiple positions. 

Barkley under Emery

image.thumb.jpeg.a15b155efa3f9d55657028dcc666bf64.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Did Dean Smith ever improve any players at Villa? 

Jack says hi
Amongst others

4 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

6ft 2 as well so adds a bit of physicality to things too, I think Unai has more than earned my trust on these things so im going to go with his judgement and not a loan spell 3 years ago!

Yep also Barkley was really good until he got wore down and then had his hamstring injury. If you are getting that Barkley as a sub and then as a starter in Cup competitions and vs the promoted sides that's a great deal. You give him a 2+TO on like 60-80k a week and that's a fantastic deal. 

Â