Ross Barkley

LondonLax

7 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

'Modest fee' so what like £4-5m?

Barkley has shown that he does well when he plays consistently. Will he have that option at Villa? Who knows but I thing I do know it that if King Unai wants him, that's good enough for me. 

Wait what?!  Thought this was a free!
oh, just read the article…

no way, nowhere near that much. Maybe like chambers… 1m…2m at most. Please.

If Unai wants him then that's good enough for me. As others have said, see it as a replacement for Chambers and it's a huge upgrade. We could have really done with him in the last few months of the season. It's a squad game.

Please don't go trawling for my comments the last time he was here though. 

Makes complete sense, has experience, played at every level, playing well at the moment, good squad player ✅

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VictoriabcVillan said:

Certainly an improvement on Chambers/Dendonker. He played very very well for Luton as a creative 6. He's great in tight spaces. Physical & his distribution has always been great. But we already have Luiz & Tielemans who do similar things. He's not good enough defensively yet to be a direct Kamara replacement but maybe Emery thinks he could be with his coaching. The fact he is more imposing & physical than Luiz, Tielemans & can play 6/8 and even 10 if needed makes him a useful & astute signing if it's true.  

If it allows Luiz and Tielemans to focus on creating and attacking… that’ll be great. No more filling in, in a defensive role and curbing their games.

Even better when Bouba returns…

but I want a proper, quality DM tbh. Strong defensively.

But Ross adds depth and we need it. The more options we have on the bench, the better.

• Like 1

Third year a free transfer for a midfielder. I understand why some folks have hesitation behind it, but it would be quite a good low risk signing. Especially if Unai wants it 

Barkely isn't a DM and didn't play as a DM for Luton, he wasn't even playing that deep for them, and there's no way we would be signing him for that role in our team, am bemusied that people would think that would be the case. If he signs, we will still be signing an actual DM as Kamara alternative, because Barkley can't do that role, Barkley would more like Tieleman's alternative

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Could be a very smart signing. If he repeats this years form, we get an extra body in our injury hit midfield and he costs us very little. Surely he's happy taking a low salary again if he was on 30k at Luton.

Yes surely….something on par with Digne.

He was known at Chelsea to love a night out but maybe being humbled into joining Luton he’s realised he needs to look after himself and put the work in on the training pitch. Technic wise he’s a fantastic player. Very shrewd signing potentially and happy about this one. Doesn’t mean we are flat broke either - just seeking the best value regardless. 

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

He was known at Chelsea to love a night out but maybe being humbled into joining Luton he’s realised he needs to look after himself and put the work in on the training pitch. Technic wise he’s a fantastic player. Very shrewd signing potentially and happy about this one. Doesn’t mean we are flat broke either - just seeking the best value regardless. 

Would you go out in Luton tbf?

• Haha 2

I mentioned him some time ago. He knows us, he's a better player than he was back then and he seems to have been willing to adapt his game to fit in at Luton. He won't break the bank, will welcome staying in the PL and would add some experience. If UE wants him, then who are we to argue? 

We're padding out the squad. I am all for it. If Ross Barkley is our new Calum Chambers, then that is a helluva'n upgrade. 

Gallagher next please. We'll have some serious options in central midfield then. (I still see Luiz leaving). 

• Like 1

He’s had a great season. We need depth. In our position you don’t buy worldie’s who are happy to rotate - we aren’t there yet and don’t have the cash. Assume his wages won’t be high as he will want the move and won’t have many top clubs clamouring after him. 

Â