Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nope, they’re still not a state sponsored sportswashing exercise.

It’s two guys, with a bit of money behind them and a whole lot of fame putting it to good use and benefiting an entire community potentially.

I really don’t get the opposition to this, it’s weird.

This in a nutshell is it 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Is it actually difficult to understand?

I don’t think fans begrudge owners spending money on their clubs, as long as it is with the rules. We call for ours to do that every summer. 

Well, yes and no.  There was relative uproar when Noon(?) or something sponsored Newcastle's shirt sleeve for £7.5m(?) compared to a £2m deal elsewhere.  People were saying it wasn't in keeping with the rest of the league and is therefore an unfairly inflated sponsorship deal - but that's "within the rules".

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Well, yes and no.  There was relative uproar when Noon(?) or something sponsored Newcastle's shirt sleeve for £7.5m(?) compared to a £2m deal elsewhere.  People were saying it wasn't in keeping with the rest of the league and is therefore an unfairly inflated sponsorship deal - but that's "within the rules".

No, Newcastle are owned by a government. They are not abiding by the rules. 

• Like 3

Just now, LondonLax said:

No, Newcastle are owned by a government. They are not abiding by the rules. 

They apparently aren’t - though I appreciate you don’t want to discuss the example I gave sensibly. 

Just now, bobzy said:

They apparently aren’t - though I appreciate you don’t want to discuss the example I gave sensibly. 

No, Newcastle’s owners have admitted in US court that they are run by the Saudi Government.

The U.K. government pressured the Premier League to break their own rules and allow them in anyway, because otherwise the Saudi Government would reassess their relationship with the U.K. government (and all that that entails). 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

No, Newcastle’s owners have admitted in US court that they are run by the Saudi Government.

The U.K. government pressured the Premier League to break their own rules and allow them in anyway, because otherwise the Saudi Government would reassess their relationship with the U.K. government (and all that that entails). 

I agree with you. 

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The Newcastle one clearly is an inflated sponsorship deal, although the subjectivity of it and a lack of willingness to actually apply the rules means they'll get away with it.

There are no FFP rules in the National League as far as I can find out, so what Wrexham are doing is obviously allowed. Besides, even if they were in the Football League with this TikTok deal (as may soon be the case if the deal is extended and they are promoted), their unique exposure on Netflix to a global audience would justify much higher sponsorship than would be the norm at that level (or even in the PL, were they to get there).

Newcastle's sponsorship, on the other hand, is unjustifiably inflated. It's just a load of money, because. Well Man City did it too so there's the reasoning.

1 hour ago, Mister_a said:

Oh well, hard to tell nowadays, better to just laugh

I don’t know the ins and outs of the other teams but Notts County for example also have strong financial backing.

• Like 1

To some degree in every league there is always a team with more money to spend, whether it be on transfer fees, wages, facilities etc.. 

Of course there is a large gulf in money in Wrexham's case but if it needs to be regulated it should be everywhere.

We have had several seasons ourselves spending much more money than other side's to help us progress. This can be extremely well run clubs who barely make mistakes, but due to our backing they cannot compete. 

Then we have teams at the top of the food chain such as Man City. 

Until there is a league wide cap in this country there can't be too many complaints. At least with Wrexham they are a club with great tradition and support who deserve success after being run into the ground by criminals in the past.

What's not right however as mentioned is when there are rules in place such as FFP which clubs like Man City are bending to cheat the system.

• Like 2

Yeah, I've not seen any reports anywhere suggesting Wrexham are breaking any rules. I. Don't understand why some on here seem so intent on running them down. Weird. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I've not seen any reports anywhere suggesting Wrexham are breaking any rules. I. Don't understand why some on here seem so intent on running them down. Weird. 

My reason is simple, I was born in Chester.  Imagine Small Heath with celebrity owners and all the social media exposure these lot are getting.

40 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

My reason is simple, I was born in Chester.  Imagine Small Heath with celebrity owners and all the social media exposure these lot are getting.

ryan-reynolds-no.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

I get this. Chester are my second team, so I understand it's pretty irritating from that perspective. For me, though Chester are a second team, I don't come from the area so I think it would be quite fake for me to adopt rivalries that I don't actually feel, so I didn't particularly have any strong opinion about Wrexham beforehand anyway. I can see why it's a feelgood story. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Who's running them down?  It's just discussing the merits of financial doping in football.

I don't see why people have a problem with discussing that when they're happy to slag off a myriad of other clubs that do it.  Weird,

10 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Wrexham are more like the Aston Villa of the two though always been bigger… ps I was born in Wrexham 😝🤣

• Haha 2

Â