Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Winners of the league go up, the next 6 teams (so 2-7) go into the playoffs.

The playoffs themselves are complicated - of course :D. I THINK… 4th plays 7th and 5th plays 6th in one-legged games (higher placed team with home advantage). Then 2nd plays the winner of 5th vs 6th and 3rd plays the winner of 4th vs 7th - again, one-legged games with higher team having home advantage. The winner of those games then play at Wembley for promotion. 

Cripes, you need a slide rule and a calculator.

Ryan Reynolds has just spent £2.5m on a house near Wrexham so sounds like he intends to spend more time there than just flying in and out. 

Just read a New York Times report talking about how Promotion and Relegation creates stakes that take the emotion to a whole new level. I guess it's an alien concept to Americans.

It's one of the reasons why I think ultimately a European Super League with no, or exceptionally unlikely promotion or relegation will eventually become a failure. It will just become sterile with losing meaning very little and the same teams repeating year after year. Eventually fans will turn off and look elsewhere for a more exciting product. 

Look at the Premier league this year. Pretty much every single match remains hugely important with some element of The Title, Europe or Relegation resting on every game. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think he's a great bloke tbh.  I think it's fantastic what they're doing for Wrexham and Welsh football and bringing eyes to the club. People moaning about them buying the league, meh. They'll find their level in the next few years and hopefully rise to challenge Cardiff and Swansea. 

We should be applauding those that try to raise clubs from the lower leagues. 

We should applaud them until the hit the Premier League, right? Then they’re bad. Until then, they’re good. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ryan Reynolds has just spent £2.5m on a house near Wrexham so sounds like he intends to spend more time there than just flying in and out. 

Just read a New York Times report talking about how Promotion and Relegation creates stakes that take the emotion to a whole new level. I guess it's an alien concept to Americans.

It's one of the reasons why I think ultimately a European Super League with no, or exceptionally unlikely promotion or relegation will eventually become a failure. It will just become sterile with losing meaning very little and the same teams repeating year after year. Eventually fans will turn off and look elsewhere for a more exciting product. 

Look at the Premier league this year. Pretty much every single match remains hugely important with some element of The Title, Europe or Relegation resting on every game. 

It’s the same with playoffs. Obviously it’s a shame only 1 side goes up automatically but it’s the playoffs that keep pretty much every team in the top half interested. 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We should applaud them until the hit the Premier League, right? Then they’re bad. Until then, they’re good. 

They'll never be big enough to be a Premier League force.

Edited by sidcow

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm quite certain I haven't said that. But yeah, whatever you want to moan about. 

Edited by avfc1982am

59 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think he's a great bloke tbh.  I think it's fantastic what they're doing for Wrexham and Welsh football and bringing eyes to the club. People moaning about them buying the league, meh. They'll find their level in the next few years and hopefully rise to challenge Cardiff and Swansea. 

We should be applauding those that try to raise clubs from the lower leagues. 

Look at the exposure that the national league had over the past few months, that would have been a game that people normally or in the past wouldn’t have watched yesterday but it trumped anything that Super Sunday  had to offer, with the rising cost of ticket in the premier league I think it’s great that people have and excellent alternative to watch locally be it in the national league or football league.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nope, they’re still not a state sponsored sportswashing exercise.

It’s two guys, with a bit of money behind them and a whole lot of fame putting it to good use and benefiting an entire community potentially.

I really don’t get the opposition to this, it’s weird.

You're confusing discussing finances with opposition to it.  I like the owners and what they're doing for Wrexham - it's absolutely fantastic.  Every club should have owners like this, ploughing money into all aspects of the club and the community  However, they don't.

But, why is it different to what happened at Chelsea?  Or Man City?  Or Bournemouth?  We claim that these clubs have "cheated FFP" and are bad for the game, yet speak to those fans and they'll tell you that loads has happened for the club, for the community, their owners have been the best thing ever.  It can't just be the sportswashing, right?  And, in practice, this is no different than what's happening at Wrexham - it's just with a very friendly and engaged face.  They've given themselves a huge financial advantage over every other club in that league (and League Two, and League One, possibly the Championship but we'll see) which is unobtainable for others.

I'm just curious at which point it becomes a problem rather than applauded.  It seems to be when a "financially doped" club hits the big league?  But maybe that's too cynical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

They'll never be big enough to be a Premier League force.

I give them 7 years max if these guys stay involved.  Finances in football are utterly shocking beyond the Premier League.

Edit:  Wait, you said "Premier League force" which implies challenging at the top end.  Yeah, that's possibly true.

Edited by bobzy

I'm quite impressed by the amount of games they actually go to considering their commitments on west coast of America.

Guess it's the same as Lerner being at every single game when he first took over us as it's that honeymoon period. Five years later and he's making every excuse possible not to go anymore.

Wrexham will be top half of league 1 in two years. Who knows if they'll ever reach the premier league but Swansea were bottom of league 2 in early 2000s and made premier league a decade later so the pathway is always there.

Really hope Notts County come up as that's a traditional league club and to not get promoted when you get 100 + points in a season would be ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Really hope Notts County come up as that's a traditional league club and to not get promoted when you get 100 + points in a season would be ridiculous.

There's every chance that two clubs break the previous points record (105 - Crawley Town).  Would be ridiculous if they don't both go up.

Every other record (goals scored, games won, games lost, GD, highest attendance etc) has been broken by these clubs this season.

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Be honest would any of you bothered to warch wrexham vs notts county without what these guys have done?

I bet the viewing numbers on the game were massive

yep, me, my Dad was bought up on a Polish camp in Ruabon, near Wrexham, he used to watch Wrexham as a kid before he moved to Brum.

We're a Villa first, Wrexham second, Pompey third family.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nope, they’re still not a state sponsored sportswashing exercise.

It’s two guys, with a bit of money behind them and a whole lot of fame putting it to good use and benefiting an entire community potentially.

I really don’t get the opposition to this, it’s weird.

No different to what Wes and Nas are doing, only they aren’t Hollywood celebrities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

You're confusing discussing finances with opposition to it.  I like the owners and what they're doing for Wrexham - it's absolutely fantastic.  Every club should have owners like this, ploughing money into all aspects of the club and the community  However, they don't.

But, why is it different to what happened at Chelsea?  Or Man City?  Or Bournemouth?  We claim that these clubs have "cheated FFP" and are bad for the game, yet speak to those fans and they'll tell you that loads has happened for the club, for the community, their owners have been the best thing ever.  It can't just be the sportswashing, right?  And, in practice, this is no different than what's happening at Wrexham - it's just with a very friendly and engaged face.  They've given themselves a huge financial advantage over every other club in that league (and League Two, and League One, possibly the Championship but we'll see) which is unobtainable for others.

I'm just curious at which point it becomes a problem rather than applauded.  It seems to be when a "financially doped" club hits the big league?  But maybe that's too cynical.

Is it actually difficult to understand?

I don’t think fans begrudge owners spending money on their clubs, as long as it is with the rules. We call for ours to do that every summer. 

There are examples where owners are not operating within the rules and are certainly not in fact ‘fit and proper’. Man City with their payments off the books to cheat FFP or Newcastle with their quite obvious ownership by a (deplorable) state actor, are quite obvious examples. 

However, unless you switch to a US style franchise set up, with salary caps and draft picks etc, then what is happening at Wrexham is an example of fantastic club ownership, within the system as it operates in the U.K. (for better or for worse). 

• Like 4

Â