Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Why can’t you be “disappointed” with Villa’s approach? 

Should have added that caveat.... unless you also call our Villa on it.

For me, all teams are operating within the rules (or were operating within the rules at the time), and while it's allowed I'm not getting on my high horse about it.

The dodgy stuff City get up to, and no doubt Newcastle will in due course (sleeve sponsorship already questionable), is a different kettle of fish and what really boils my piss.

23 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Should have added that caveat.... unless you also call our Villa on it.

For me, all teams are operating within the rules (or were operating within the rules at the time), and while it's allowed I'm not getting on my high horse about it.

The dodgy stuff City get up to, and no doubt Newcastle will in due course (sleeve sponsorship already questionable), is a different kettle of fish and what really boils my piss.

I’m definitely not getting on high horse by the way, just discussing.

The sleeve sponsorship is as I mentioned earlier in the thread. What’s the difference between that happening in the Prem (because of Newcastle’s owners) and Wrexham having TikTok as a sponsor in the National League (because of their owners)? Is it because they’re friendly?

Just now, bobzy said:

The sleeve sponsorship is as I mentioned earlier in the thread. What’s the difference between that happening in the Prem (because of Newcastle’s owners) and Wrexham having TikTok as a sponsor in the National League (because of their owners)? Is it because they’re friendly?

It is different because of the associated party angle.  TikTok are independent and value the sponsorship and exposure it gives them at exactly what they're paying Wrexham. 

Newcaslte's sleeve sponsor are paying them as a means of the owner getting otherwise FFP limited funds into the club. Yes, the PL approved that deal, but the PL also approved their ownership by the Saudi state in the first place. Its hardly a beacon for legitimacy. The leaks about government interference are enough for me to think the PL turned a blind eye to a deal that defies all precedents for a club that was at the tine outside the top 6 and outside Europe.

• Like 3

Just now, MrBlack said:

It is different because of the associated party angle.  TikTok are independent and value the sponsorship and exposure it gives them at exactly what they're paying Wrexham. 

Newcaslte's sleeve sponsor are paying them as a means of the owner getting otherwise FFP limited funds into the club. Yes, the PL approved that deal, but the PL also approved their ownership by the Saudi state in the first place. Its hardly a beacon for legitimacy. The leaks about government interference are enough for me to think the PL turned a blind eye to a deal that defies all precedents for a club that was at the tine outside the top 6 and outside Europe.

I’m sure the sleeve sponsorship will comply with FFP - the fuss was over the amount being paid from memory because it was “higher than League appropriate” or whatever. I imagine the TikTok sponsorship is incredibly similar, though I haven’t looked into the amounts. Maybe they’re not paying much at all. 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’m sure the sleeve sponsorship will comply with FFP - the fuss was over the amount being paid from memory because it was “higher than League appropriate” or whatever. I imagine the TikTok sponsorship is incredibly similar, though I haven’t looked into the amounts. Maybe they’re not paying much at all. 

That's what I mean ...the money for the sleeve sponsorship should be lower than it is. Maybe by 4m or so. This gives them £4m more to play with every year in their FFP accounting.

That's equivalent to the amortised salary of a very big signing, that they shouldn't be able to make because the deal shouldn't be for as much as it is.

In my opinion,  the PL only approved it because of the pressure on them from the UK government to make the arrangement with Saudi Arabia work. Its a breach of the rules, allowed due to corruption.

TikTok, the signings Wrexham have made, the players they've attracted, are a luck of the draw thing that their owners are well known and liked, but they're not breaking FFP rules... as far as we know.

Edit: on that note, I assume Wrexham aren't at risk of breaching the FFP rules for the league they're in?

Edited by MrBlack

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

FFS. It's been explained over and over. 

Tickity Tockety are an independent third party company just willing to sponsor Wrexham for that amount of money. It's their choice, they're happy to do it and for that price. They see the benefit, it's an equitable business deal. 

The Newcastle / Man City sponsorships are the owner directly paying over inflated deals directly into the club out of their own pocket.  They're not allowed to do this, that's the point of FFP. 

They are disguising it via multiple layers of connected links but make no mistake it's them doing it out of their own funds and everyone knows it. Nothing happens in those countries without the state (the state who also own the clubs) telling them to.  So they are able to force connected companies to pay more money than makes any business sense into the clubs via sponsorship.

This is completely and utterly different to what's happening at Wrexham. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

That's what I mean ...the money for the sleeve sponsorship should be lower than it is. Maybe by 4m or so. This gives them £4m more to play with every year in their FFP accounting.

That's equivalent to the amortised salary of a very big signing, that they shouldn't be able to make because the deal shouldn't be for as much as it is.

In my opinion,  the PL only approved it because of the pressure on them from the UK government to make the arrangement with Saudi Arabia work. Its a breach of the rules, allowed due to corruption.

TikTok, the signings Wrexham have made, the players they've attracted, are a luck of the draw thing that their owners are well known and liked, but they're not breaking FFP rules... as far as we know.

Edit: on that note, I assume Wrexham aren't at risk of breaching the FFP rules for the league they're in?

I have no idea if the National League even has FFP rules tbh. I thought they were an EFL/Premier League thing but could be wrong!

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I have no idea if the National League even has FFP rules tbh. I thought they were an EFL/Premier League thing but could be wrong!

They don't, no FFP in the national leagues. They can spend what they want within reason.

• Thanks 1

On 13/04/2023 at 07:48, bobzy said:

Why can’t you be “disappointed” with Villa’s approach? 

You can be disappointed but then i assume you would be happy playing championship football and become like Stoke 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You would be happy if were 15th two places above blose?

Your expectations must be low then

Expectations are a very different thing. Whether Villa are successful or not has absolutely no bearing on my support for the club. If we were in the Championship, I’d be as happy to support Villa as I am now. Same would be true if we were in League Two.

It’s obviously better when your club is doing well but, believe it or not, not everyone just wants a rich football club chucking money at it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, turnbull said:

One win away from promotion now. Still time for a bit of nail biting! 😬

I think their fans were biting them in midweek, but that win has I think settled it. 

Meme: "IT HASN'T BEEN EASY BUT IT'S HAPPENING!" - All Templates -  Meme-arsenal.com

• Like 1

Â