Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

Just now, ender4 said:

Still a small but decent chance we could finish top 6.

A tiny tiny chance we could finish top 4.

A good chance we will finish top 8.

Definitely should finish top 10 if we keep playing the way we are.

Sadly Chelsea seem to have got their shit together under Tuchel.

Even top 6 will be very tough.

As of now Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, West Ham/ Everton will probably be the top 6

Anything could happen yet, we are barely half way through the season. My hopes lie with Sanson coming in, the defensive solidity we have developed, Barkley coming back to his best, Traore improving on his already commendable early form and Watkins feeling more relaxed and confident.

Nothing would surprise me, but it says a lot that I would be disappointed with anything lower than 8th, despite realistically thinking we will finish 9th.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

As of now Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, West Ham/ Everton will probably be the top 6

Everton aren't that of a cert to finish above us imo. They've got good players (like us) but their form has been pretty much identical all season and they can lose 4 out of 5 like us at points.

Hopefully they lose tonight and they've got Man. City at home on Feb 17th and then Liverpool and Chelsea away over the 10 days after.

Would be just our luck though if they actually win at Anfield for first time in 20 years but I think we can get above them in next 3 weeks.

Big thing now is we just go back to playing every 7-8 days as one of Spurs/Everton will likely be played on FA cup quarter final weekend (even if Sheffield United get knocked out premier league will probably move it to April or May to get Spurs game done if it's them) so think next time we'll have 3 games in 7 days will be April or May so fatigue won't be such an issue compared to many of the teams around us given CL and europa are starting up in next two weeks.

Really nice position for us to be in as we've negotiated our trickest part of the season pretty comfortably when you look at the overall quality of teams we've faced in last two months so only nerve can deny us finishing at least 8th imo. And injuries.

Were on the up that's the main thing.

I've often lambasted "plans" and "changing the ethos" , "putting a structure in place" - they always seem to be excuses for the first team taking a pumelling week in week out.

All the background Apts, coaching Apts  hoovering up youth talent, all the better because the choices these people make have very quickly put a winning team on the pitch .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I’d throw us firmly in the mix with West Ham and Everton. We’re also only 1 point below Chelsea with a game in hand. Their recent form has improved with Tuchel but as we all know that can change in an instant. I could see us anywhere 5th through 9th. Anything above that would be a masterclass, and anything below would mean a dip in form at some point has cost us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

I’d throw us firmly in the mix with West Ham and Everton. We’re also only 1 point below Chelsea with a game in hand. Their recent form has improved with Tuchel but as we all know that can change in an instant. I could see us anywhere 5th through 9th. Anything above that would be a masterclass, and anything below would mean a dip in form at some point has cost us.

Interesting that we are yet to play Everton

The Cazoo derby could be a nailbiting one

Edited by villalad21

I think catching West Ham is something very possible, they've been on a good run, but in our game against them we made them look a lot better than they actually, just one of those bad days. But I'd expect them to finish half way down the table come the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I think catching West Ham is something very possible, they've been on a good run, but in our game against them we made them look a lot better than they actually, just one of those bad days. But I'd expect them to finish half way down the table come the end of the season.

This is one of the reasons I was so annoyed with our performance against them.

I thought we would have been fired up to reel them in, and they are certainly not as good as we made them look.

One of the problems with us doing well is that all I can do is look up the table and think " Just X points and we can do this etc ".

It's the hope they keep giving that kills you. lol

So it's disappointing when we lose in that manner.

Certainly not a reflection on our overall progress of course.

Difference being last season it was " the hope that we could make it to safety " after a win followed up by a dire performance back to " We are gone ". lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

7 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Soucek getting a ridiculous red card helps us massively! Theyll struggle without him for the next 3 games if it's not overturned. Draw to Fulham is 2 points dropped which makes their win against us easier to take. 

It is likely to be overturned me think.

Watched it some more and it look a ridiculous decision.

56 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Soucek getting a ridiculous red card helps us massively! Theyll struggle without him for the next 3 games if it's not overturned. Draw to Fulham is 2 points dropped which makes their win against us easier to take. 

Didn't help me. I purposely waited until after our game to transfer him in to my FPL team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Thanks Fulham.

4 points off West Ham with 2 games in hand.

Still very doable catching them. We need to go on a run similar to our first 4 games though i feel.

Not really. They draw the next two, we win next two and we're above them so hardly a wild swing of results.

They've had a good run of fixtures recently but I presume they've got a run of tough games coming up.

Worth noting their last three defeats have been to Man. United, Chelsea and Liverpool so they don't get that many good results against the top teams, just been very efficent against bottom half (and us) in recent times.

I still think West Ham and Everton will struggle to get past 60 points so it's very much there for us.

Â