Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

Everything thing can happen this season, and if it wasn’t Man City, then all teams around could have a chance for the title. 

As long as we have the chance, let’s have a run to top 4. Hopefully Spurs, Chelsea and Leicester fail to win, would be great. Even Liverpool could still be around. With a good run and a bit of luck we might do it!

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It is likely to be overturned me think.

Watched it some more and it look a ridiculous decision.

How does Mike Dean get premiership games ? ... totally ruined villa v wolves as a spectacle, with ridiculous yellow cards, ...and that today was totally bizzare ....he even looked it over on the screen.

It was a really good thing to go out of the fa cup so early this year.

Not only does it give us a week to recover this round but next round will give us a chance to catch back one of our games, as either Everton or spurs will be free.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Only 3 teams have won more games than us this season. We have at least a game in hand on all of them.

5 home wins out of 10 must be one of the best in league aswell.

For example Man. United only won 5 out of 12 at home and Leicester lost 5 home games.

Our home record dosen't feel quite so good as we've lost four but pretty much everyone bar Man. City is dropping points at home every other game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Sadly Chelsea seem to have got their shit together under Tuchel.

Even top 6 will be very tough.

As of now Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, West Ham/ Everton will probably be the top 6

What makes you so sure those 2 teams are better than us? I think we're in the same mixer. With Spurs too.

We need a good run or two along the way, but we're in the convo. 

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What makes you so sure those 2 teams are better than us? I think we're in the same mixer. With Spurs too.

I was impressed with Everton coming back from a losing position yesterday. 

That's one thing I've been disappointed with from us this season. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I was impressed with Everton coming back from a losing position yesterday. 

That's one thing I've been disappointed with from us this season. 

That top 6 is so tough now, even top 8 when you look at the teams you need to be ahead of is tough. I think were in a great position to challenge, we probably need to be a bit more consistent though.

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

i thnk west ham will fall short. everton are quietly going about their business. a lot of media attention is put on us but they've stayed relatively under the radar. i can see them getting top 6

Anyone know or can list the Premier League prize money for your final league position?  

I presume the higher the better will still be paid out or will it be divided equally this season because of Covid/economic situation?

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i thnk west ham will fall short. everton are quietly going about their business. a lot of media attention is put on us but they've stayed relatively under the radar. i can see them getting top 6

After watching their game yesterday i think i agree.

Coming back from being 2-0 down and then from being 3-2 down takes mental toughness and togetherness.

Hugely impressed with them. I don't think the squad is great but Ancelotti is getting the best out of them.

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

After watching their game yesterday i think i agree.

Coming back from being 2-0 down and then from being 3-2 down takes mental toughness and togetherness.

Hugely impressed with them. I don't think the squad is great but Ancelotti is getting the best out of them.

And 7 days before they threw in one of the worst performances for years in losing 2-0 at home to Newcastle so they're as inconsistant as any other team seemingly below 1st this season.

Only question mark is how we match up v them when we play them but we did o.k in the two games v them last season although their strength in depth is far stronger now particularly in midfield area.

5 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Anyone know or can list the Premier League prize money for your final league position?  

I presume the higher the better will still be paid out or will it be divided equally this season because of Covid/economic situation?

Premier League 2021 Prize Money Distribution & Breakdown 2020/21

https://sillyseason.com/money/premier-league-prize-money-100681/

Liverpool on a shocking run aren't they.

I had a hunch at start of the season they wouldn't make the top 4....and then their form for first four months made a mockery of that. Now their defensive issues catching up with them now and Alisson a walking error.

Thought there was 0% chance of us finishing above them this season but win tonight and we're 2 points off them. Got Everton at home next which is excellent as at least one of them will drop points.

• 1 month later...

I think the next few weeks will see us slip outside of the top 10 as we have some really tough fixtures coming up and we aren't playing well. After the start we had and the early expectation it's a bitter pill to swallow but in reality a HUGE improvement, if we can keep the momentum going with decent signings in the summer we'll be a top half team next year.

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I think the next few weeks will see us slip outside of the top 10 as we have some really tough fixtures coming up and we aren't playing well. After the start we had and the early expectation it's a bitter pill to swallow but in reality a HUGE improvement, if we can keep the momentum going with decent signings in the summer we'll be a top half team next year.

I havent analysed the results but dont we seem to do better against the top half teams than the bottom half teams this season, we at least seem to play better. 

Anyway we have 2 games in hand and 2 points ahead of Leeds and 4 over Palace, seems a stretch for Wolves given they have only 9 games left, 6 points behind and in poor form.  We also have Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and Liverpool in patchy form at the moment so it's not as if teams around us are fairing much better. 

if we did manage to win today we would have a 5 point breathing gap over 11th with a game in hand.  With Fulham and West Brom also in our next five games, there are certainly some points for us to pick up even if we dont do well against the bigger teams. 

Plus this poor form cant continue indefinitely, Jack coming back in a couple of weeks will help along with the two week international break.

The thing is with this season and how all teams are playing we could just as easily jump up to 6th/7th as to fall into the bottom half in 11 games time.

• 2 months later...

11th then.

We really really deserved to finish top half. Would love if any statto on here could tell me last time a 55 point team didn't finish in top half of 38 game season, I bet it's never happened and indeed rarely when it was 42 game seasons.

Just have to accept it's abnormally high points total for top 10 this season and keep cracking on with what we're doing as we're in a better state than some teams who've finished just above us imo.

Season ending stats:

27 points clear of 18th.

12 points off 4th

7 points off 7th.

Joint 9th best scorers in the league

Joint 7th best defence.

8/10, would've been a 9 if Jack had been back a month earlier. That's the what if of the season. Need to get 2-3 for next season that means we can cope with a key player being out for months.

• Like 1

What might have been (not a title challenge but European places maybe) had their been better preventative measures taken to avoid a covid outbreak. Before that we were performing at a top level and according to the people at whoscored we were statistically one of the best teams in Europe. 

• Like 1

Â