Emiliano Martínez

hippo

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Cheers Brommy, so he picked up too many yellows so misses a game? 

Exactly. In the same way that McGinn, Diaby, Dougie, Tielemans, and Cash would have been suspended for the semi had they been booked - as they were carrying two bookings into the game.

It just happens that Emi got his second and third bookings in the same game!! 🤣

Edited by conorm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, conorm said:

Exactly. In the same way that McGinn, Diaby, Dougie, Tielemans, and Cash would have been suspended had they been booked - as they were taking two bookings into the game.

Right, thanks, I was very confused but that makes sense.

5 minutes ago, conorm said:

Exactly. In the same way that McGinn, Diaby, Dougie, Tielemans, and Cash would have been suspended for the semi had they been booked - as they were carrying two bookings into the game.

How they managed to avoid bookings i've no idea 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I love his personality.....it defines him.

His ambition is clear, and it derives from his love for the club.

I must admit, I am not particularly emotional, but when he answered a question about how your team mates, feel about you.....He said they " need me " Oh dear that touch me.

He said he loves his team mates and the club....he is a top, top man.

My grand kids met him at Ashen Farm, nr BMH, he was with his kids.....and they said he was charming.

This guy is a top, top keeper....best in the world? not sure....but he's one of them......but his personality is off the scale.

I have been irked over the years of our " Mr Nice Guy " tag and Emi Comes along, and rips it up......The critics can go **** themselves.

One of the best buys, we have ever made.

I couldn’t agree more. The difference in the personality of wanting to win and making sure that you win is huge Emmi epitomises being a winner regardless of the situation he’s in. We’re lucky to have him and hopefully this runs off on more of our players, I think our manager and the coaches already have it but you can never have too much of it. I’ve seen us lose lots of matches we should have won against teams that weren’t as good as us, last night was a huge psychological shift, which I think Gerrard was hinting was necessary but has no idea how to do it, along with his many other faults. He could do it on the pit it had no idea how to teach others how to do it. Last night our elite GK was doing elite GK stuff and our manager was doing elite manager stuff. We’re getting there now, it may have taken a while but finally the light at the end of a dark tunnel is much brighter than it has been for many years. Having been on the same journey as me for a similar amount of time, I’m sure you understand what I mean. We perhaps can stop banging our heads against the wall for a while and enjoy the next chapter as much as those we enjoyed all those years ago, on a good morning, with the sunshine beaming down up here in The Highlands, it can feel like it was only yesterday. A warm May day in Athens won’t be too dissimilar to a warm day in May 22 years ago!! UTV!!!! and look after yourself, we’ve got an FA Cup to win too!!!

Edited by DaveAV1

Just now, duke313 said:

How they managed to avoid bookings i've no idea 🤣

I know right? It felt to me like every single player had been booked (at least once) by the end of that game!

Hang on… this from the Birmingham Mail says that Emi wasn’t on one yellow card before the game? Unless they’re wrong, and I accept they frequently are! 😂 

Besides Zaniolo, Cash, Konsa, McGinn, Tielemans, Luiz, and Diaby, no player is on more than one booking. In total, five Villa players are on one booking and will not be banned for a potential semi-final unless they are sent off on Thursday.

Europa Conference League yellow cards (not including play-off qualifying round) -

Nicolo Zaniolo - 3

Matty Cash, John McGinn, Moussa Diaby, Youri Tielemans, Ezri Konsa, Douglas Luiz - 2

Clement Lenglet, Leon Bailey, Ollie Watkins, Jhon Duran, and Morgan Rogers - 1

3 minutes ago, andym said:

Yeah he was booked in the 95th minute of the first leg

However, https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/clubs/players/250026721--emiliano-martinez/statistics/ shows him as only having 2 yellows in the competition, and i thought you needed 3 to be suspended?

That is the only possible mitigation - that the shootout booking somehow exists in isolation 🤷🏼‍♂️

3 minutes ago, andym said:

Yeah he was booked in the 95th minute of the first leg

However, https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/clubs/players/250026721--emiliano-martinez/statistics/ shows him as only having 2 yellows in the competition, and i thought you needed 3 to be suspended?

That's what I was thinking, the pen shootoout yellow card is not on UEFA website.  So, either wasn't given (ref changed his mind) or it doesn't count (same as goals in pen shootout dont count to a players career stats).

I didn't see the first half yellow and it seems hard to get a unanimous answer about whether the ball was in play. If there was a case to appeal one of the yellows I wonder whether UEFA might not look on it too favourably because they were obviously trying to clamp down on penalty antics, and will just want to vengefully put down a marker. He already embarrassed FIFA in front of their Qatari blood money buddies by making the WC final all about his shithousing then making sweet love to the golden glove.

If the phantom yellow in the shootout isn't even in the books is it just moot though? Maybe ref just decided not to take his name after he realised the match ball was genuinely suspiciously missing

Edited by Annoyman

49 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

This was more because there was no ball though. The delay wasn't really to do with Martinez; Watkins literally didn't have a ball. Pretty sure the crowd were holding onto it or something.

I dunno. Looked like the ref spoke to Martinez for a while, immediately after he'd just shhh'd the crowd after the first pen save.

The ref then walks away, but is clearly distracted by Martinez' shenanigans (not wholly Emi's fault here) and doesn't realise there's no ball in play. Martinez asks for a ball - the ref misjudges this as him winding up the crowd (again) and charges over to book him.

I felt at the time that Ollie's statistically a weak penalty taker - and all this can't have helped. But he nailed then pen - so fair play to him. He's definitely mentally stronger this season. 

Edited by Cizzler

So according to Emery in his presser this afternoon, even the club are unsure if he can play in the semi -

It’s not exactly 100 per cent he’s not going to be for the next round, available to play.

“In the beginning I think it’s not, but we are in conversations with UEFA about it.

7 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

I didn't see the first half yellow and it seems hard to get a unanimous answer about whether the ball was in play. If there was a case to appeal one of the yellows I wonder whether UEFA might not look on it too favourably because they were obviously trying to clamp down on penalty antics, and will just want to vengefully put down a marker. He already embarrassed FIFA in front of their Qatari blood money buddies by making the WC final all about his shithousing then making sweet love to the golden glove.

If the phantom yellow in the shootout isn't even in the books is it just moot though? Maybe ref just decided not to take his name after he realised the match ball was genuinely suspiciously missing

It was 100% a goal kick. It was only yesterday (and I wasn't drinking!). 

It was a harsh yellow - the game was tied, it was early on and I don't remember a serious previous warning. Crowd baited the ref into it big time. But it was definitely a dead ball.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

So according to Emery in his presser this afternoon, even the club are unsure if he can play in the semi -

It’s not exactly 100 per cent he’s not going to be for the next round, available to play.

“In the beginning I think it’s not, but we are in conversations with UEFA about it.

Well if Emery, Villa and UEFA don't know what the hell is going on, then we have no chance!

According to UEFAs match report, he didn´t get booked during the penalty shoot out. 

https://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/2024/2040510_FR.pdf

That puts him on two yellows, which will be wiped going into the semis. And you need three to miss the next match anyway, right? 

Surely, he must be eligible to play the home game in the semis?

• Like 3

Â