Emiliano Martínez

hippo

4 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I think bayern is a potential destination now they have fallen out with Neuer. But they might prefer a younger replacement. 

No chance Bayern will sign him. He isnt great on the ball like Neuer and Bayern wont pay his fee

We won't be selling him, nobody will be buying him and people need to get over this.

Best keeper in ages. 

Emery being frustrated is fine. I think personally he was way too critical after the game, almost like someone over-apologising for something because they're embarrassed. It wasn't necessary. Arsenal are a very good team. But then conceding 11 goals in three games might do that to someone. At least he clearly cares and has ideas. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I agree with Emery.

Interesting he says “wasting time more than I want”… so he must want them to waste SOME, he just thinks they got the balance wrong. So, in short, we all agree and should have a lovely hug :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Interesting he says “wasting time more than I want”… so he must want them to waste SOME, he just thinks they got the balance wrong. So, in short, we all agree and should have a lovely hug :)

Lubed up and naked????? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Nope I watched it back and read the quotes. He was actually criticising him going up for the corner as the wasted time as took about 10 seconds to get up the pitch

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I agree with Emery.

This is the most interesting bit to me: 

"We are not taking risks. Football is to play. We have to make combinations and be the protagonists. We are not doing it."

Obviously risks are taken more up front, but also the build up starts from the back. Is Emi the kind of keeper Unai wants? 

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

"We are not taking risks. Football is to play. We have to make combinations and be the protagonists. We are not doing it."

We try to play safe too much. 

Interestingly, our passing accuracy was actually lower than usual for that match at 75.7 percent. That's quite a low number in general. If that was us playing it safe, I shudder to think how low it would be if we were taking risks.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Interestingly, our passing accuracy was actually lower than usual for that match at 75.7 percent. If that was us playing it safe, I shudder to think how low it would be if we taking risks.

That's what hoofing does.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Obviously risks are taken more up front, but also the build up starts from the back. Is Emi the kind of keeper Unai wants? 

I think Unai wants a keeper with quicker feet and distribution so we can transition from defence to attack. When you have good ball playing midfielders and defenders like Ty and when Diego is back, we will see more rapid play. Right now, Dibu slows it right down and his passing from the back isn’t always what it should be for a player of his calibre. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Madness to claim you know that for sure.

Madness to have turned on him so much for such lame reasons. 

I feel his price will and should be too high for anyone to realistically buy him. We went years having shit keepers and we finally get a good one, one voted one of the top two in the world and suddenly people turn against him for something innocuous. This is the madness. 

He was integral to six points against Leeds and Southampton, maybe the point against Wolves too. And other games of course. 

The backlash is embarrassing.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

Martinez and Cash aren't suddenly bad players. They are very good players but not suited to how Emery wants the team to play and what he wants from players in those positions. If Martinez can't demonstrate he can be good with ball at his feet and playing from the back then he should probably move and we replace him with a player who is able to do that to level Emery requires. 

Emi is a brilliant shot stopper and a very good GK. It's his weakness which becomes exacerbated if it's a fundamental key part of what is required for a GK in this team

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Martinez and Cash aren't suddenly bad players. They are very good players but not suited to how Emery wants the team to play and what he wants from players in those positions.

It's really that simple. 

I'm not sure how Martinez playing out from the back has anything to do with any of the goals we conceded against Arsenal or Man city? He does it slowly to try and draw the opposition out,  which the entire point of it all, isn't it? 

• Like 1

I don’t want to see Martinez go, but when you see comments attributed to him regarding wanting to play CL football and Emery wanting a keeper who can play with his feet, it’s not rocket science.

Emery is the boss and if he believes another keeper can carry out his game plan better and manage the defence as well, then I can see a scenario where we cash in on Martinez, make a huge profit and reinvest in the squad.

I don’t really agree with the criticism that Martinez is particularly bad with the ball at his feet. Realistically there aren’t many goalies around who are going to be as good as equivalent outfield players on the ball… and the very few who come close are already at the top clubs. They’re all going to look cumbersome in possession and occasionally hit one too long or too short, it’s just the nature of the beast and I’ve always thought Martinez is above average to be honest.

Martinez has shown he’s a top keeper but he needs to work on the emotional side of his game, he looks too intense and wants to be the one who makes us win - whether that’s by “tactically” wasting time, winding up the opposition or running up for a corner, when really all he needs to do is focus on his game - making great saves, dominating the box and distributing the ball as per the manager’s instructions 

57 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Madness to have turned on him so much for such lame reasons. 

I feel his price will and should be too high for anyone to realistically buy him. We went years having shit keepers and we finally get a good one, one voted one of the top two in the world and suddenly people turn against him for something innocuous. This is the madness. 

He was integral to six points against Leeds and Southampton, maybe the point against Wolves too. And other games of course. 

The backlash is embarrassing.

You’re right of course but I think it’s a human reaction to a few days in which he announced that he potentially would be opening to leaving  the club because we weren’t playing at the level he believes he is capable of to then having a ropey game in which he concedes four goals, 2 of which he was inadvertently responsible for and costing us a point. 
I actually think Emery has been harsher on him than the fans.

I think it's looking fairly likely that Martinez will go this summer tbh based on his interview about wanting CL football and Emery's latest comments. We'd get a lot of money for him that can be used for the squad overhaul, sad as it would be to see him go. 

Â