Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Wonder how many goalkeepers will be in the top ten (none others ahead of him on the list down to there)

If anyone puts another keeper ahead of him after that world cup final then I would stop reading there and throw it in the bin. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Maybe Donnarumma will be higher?

Justly or not, he probably will be. He was the highest ranked GK last year. I have a hard time believing that he will fall completely out of the list.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tinker said:

If anyone puts another keeper ahead of him after that world cup final then I would stop reading there and throw it in the bin. 

I think Courtois would be justifiable because of Real's Champions League run.  I doubt Donnarumma will make it, he was probably picked last year due to the Euros but I don't think he was always PSG's first choice keeper this year.

On a scale of 1-10. One being there's absolutely no chance he's at Villa in September of this year, requesting a transfer in a fit of rage because Emery gave him a dirty look six years ago, and 10 being he's signed a new 100 year contract and we've named the new North Stand the Martinez Monument, where do you think we stand?

I'm am eight. I'm sure he'll be here still, but I'm very slightly concerned. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think Courtois would be justifiable because of Real's Champions League run.  I doubt Donnarumma will make it, he was probably picked last year due to the Euros but I don't think he was always PSG's first choice keeper this year.

There's a champions League run every year,  how many go to penalties after a world class save in the last seconds of the game and then the keeper saves the penalties that win it?

Martinez did it in the world cup, I can't think of any world cup that a keeper has made such an impact in the final. Gordon Banks was idolised over a save in a game England lost in the.... quarter finals? 

1 minute ago, tinker said:

There's a champions League run every year,  how many go to penalties after a world class save in the last seconds of the game and then the keeper saves the penalties that win it?

Martinez did it in the world cup, I can't think of any world cup that a keeper has made such an impact in the final. Gordon Banks was idolised over a save in a game England lost in the.... quarter finals? 

Right now I wouldn't swap Emi for any goalkeeper but across the whole of 2022 I don't think he was quite at Courtois' standard.  I understand both viewpoints but I suspect the latter will be in the top 10.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tinker said:

In fairness I think Courtois won the Man of the Match in the Champions League final plus won league and Champions League double

Emi Martinez is only just coming into his prime years. Ouch.  

I think already being in the top 2 or 3 keepers in world football is some incredible achievement when you've literally only had 3 years full playing time at top level. 

9 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Like I predicted, Emi ended up in the top 40 of Guardian's list of the 100 best footballers in the world.

He is at 20. Not bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/jan/24/the-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2022

"In emulating Ubaldo Fillol and Nery Pumpido as Argentina’s World Cup-winning goalkeepers, Martínez wrote himself into legend. Neither of those predecessors were required to be the decisive actor in penalty shootouts, as Martínez was against the Netherlands in the quarter-finals and then again in the final itself. His gamesmanship in those pressure situations won him cult status but he also made a crucial, match-winning contribution in open play when France’s Randal Kolo Muani seemed set to score in the last minute of extra time. The one-time Rotherham and Oxford loanee with a London tinge to his accent has come a long way."

Ederson and courtouis are better keepers. And Alison might be but WC winning could definitely put him ahead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Courtois was highest ranked goalkeeper at #9. Emi second highest GK.

It's very clearly a 2022 year only kind of view given the rankings. Have an off season and you drop from top 20 to off the list completely ( see Donnarumma).

Not that I mind that, but it does mean Martinez isn't really the 20th best player in the world, just at the moment he might be considered it based on very current form.

Also explains why Rashford even appears in the list, let alone so high up,  considering how crap he's been until the last few months. 

I'll take it, but on those grounds I'd say Emi should arguably be even higher. 

Edited by MrBlack

20 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

On a scale of 1-10. One being there's absolutely no chance he's at Villa in September of this year, requesting a transfer in a fit of rage because Emery gave him a dirty look six years ago, and 10 being he's signed a new 100 year contract and we've named the new North Stand the Martinez Monument, where do you think we stand?

I'm am eight. I'm sure he'll be here still, but I'm very slightly concerned. 

I look at it the same way as I did with Jack when we got promoted. Think he's here for a few more seasons but will likely move on in a couple of years if the club is unable to match his ambitions.

Do think Emi is genuinely grateful to the club and feels a sense of loyalty as a result

23 hours ago, tinker said:

Banks made that save against Brazil in a group game but that was in a totally different era where players, especially goalkeepers were far less athletic than they are now.

Emi is world class, no doubt, and he’s ours 👍

• Like 1

For a man of 6 ft 5 it is mental how athletic he is. Not just the diving saves which are impressive enough or the pushing backwards to tip over the bar like against Harvey Barnes. Its the saves with the legs. That save in added on time in extra time in the final where in milliseconds he stretched his leg out to the max was impossible in my eyes. He isnt a lithe ballet dancer or tae kwon do expert . He is a 15 stone man mountain . 

• Like 1

The football powers that be, according to a report I just read on Google, are going to bring in a new law next season. 

Stopping goalkeepers from shithouseing. 

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The football powers that be, according to a report I just read on Google, are going to bring in a new law next season. 

Stopping goalkeepers from shithouseing. 

spacer.png

tbh Refs should be enforcing the rules better anyway. I'd say something like GK talking to opposition players before spot kicks, or touching the ball before the kick all can be bookable offences. Otherwise all GK will now start with the shithousery. 

Emi will be finem the aura exists now. He can stare at opponents or patrol his line, get pumped up with the crowd. Other things that still psych opponents out. He has the aura now

Â