Ben Chrisene

alreadyexists

Blackburn Rovers fans having a meltdown over this signing, in a negative way, as seem to think they're signing too many youngsters, that might be case, but judging from some of the comments I think they might be surprised at how good he is, they should also note he's probably just as good if not better in central midfield and can also play on the wing. A lot will depend on how his injuries have affected him, but if he's as good as he was then he should be okay in the Championship, was rated in the same class as our very best academy players at one point, and that still might be the case, again will come down to how much his injuries have affected him.

• Like 2

Agree with Useless. Centre mid is where i think he is best. Could have been a Gareth Barry mk 2 but has suffered from so many injuries since the FA Youth Cup win. Good luck to him and i hope he can get a run of games. 

Kind of surprised by this one as I wasn't sure he'd get into a club this high up the ladder and their fans who actually are okay with the signing seem to think he'll be backup. Hopefully he proves everyone wrong and does well. When lads like Barry are stuck in league two though does shock me when Revan and Chrisene are suddenly showing up in the championship. The clubs that players move to always seem so random, I'm sure we've got things in place to ensure it's a good fit but there's nothing obvious or stated from the outside. 

12 hours ago, useless said:

Blackburn Rovers fans having a meltdown over this signing, in a negative way, as seem to think they're signing too many youngsters, that might be case, but judging from some of the comments I think they might be surprised at how good he is, they should also note he's probably just as good if not better in central midfield and can also play on the wing. A lot will depend on how his injuries have affected him, but if he's as good as he was then he should be okay in the Championship, was rated in the same class as our very best academy players at one point, and that still might be the case, again will come down to how much his injuries have affected him.

They'll be generally irritable at the moment having loaned out their captain to a team that only got promoted last season.

Tough times for them and a lot of fans in the championship.

Chrisene getting a loan to the Championship shouldn't be a shock, he's already proven himself at Scottish Premier League level, if it wasn't for injuries it would have already happened before now, he's one of our more highly rated academy players of recent times

the Blackburn manager and their club write up use the words 'back-up' and 'cover', so that's where Blackburn fans probably got that from

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/january/07/boss-delighted-with-double-deal/ 

Add in the fact that the current first choice left back has played 27 times for them this season (and I think provided a pinpoint cross for a goal yesterday)

But this will probably suit a player returning from a lengthy injury - not having to play every minute and taking time to get back to his best (see eg Jacob Ramsey)

And Useless makes an excellent point. If Ben can't get a start at left back, he can do an excellent job elsewhere - and I too share the view that his best position, and long term future, is probably in centre midfield.

I wouldn't expect him to go straight into their team, I wouldn't expect that of any of our youngsters going to the Championship, even last season when Aaron Ramsey and Archer who had already proven themselves at that level went to Middlesbrough, they have to earn the place first. In Chrisene's case any minutes he gets at that level will be valuable experience, and a big step in the right direction after his injuries.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realise he'd gone to Blackburn.

That's a really good loan for me.

They're not having a great season so it shouldn't be impossible to force his way into their starting 11 at some point.

If he does well again not a stretch to think he might figure in senior squad next season if we move Digne on as seems likely. Still got someone like Pau to cover LB aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like it was an interesting weekend for Chrisene in a new role for Blackburn Rovers, he was learning a new role and played his part in a good win for BRFC. It sounds like he started the game on the LH side of a back three, and did quite well before moving into his more usual spot as a wing back. This is the position I remember Gareth Barry started off at Villa. It is good to see he appears to have earned enough trust to be starting games regularly for Blackburn, hopefully he will play a lot of matches between now and the eand of the season and keep on improving.

Chrisene starts at LCB

The stand-in coaching team of Johnson and Lowe fielded in a three-back formation, with natural left-back Ben Chrisene starting in the left centre-back role. He later moved further forward upon the introduction of Connor O’Riordan, but it was a steady display in a new role for the Aston Villa loanee.

His efforts were recognised too. Lancashire Telegraph reporter Elliot Jackson handed him a 7/10 rating for his display, writing this:

“Adjusted well to playing left-centre-back. Moved back out to wing-back after the reshuffle. Looks to be growing into Championship football.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â