Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I think Toney/Rashford should play instead.

Keep Ollie injury free and fresh for our run in, i couldn't give two hoots about England under Safegate.

• Like 1

I am not sure, Ollie feels loved/accepted in the England set up....I think Southgate has pandered to the Media, and Ollies Stats.

I kinda  get a feeling of "token gesture" with Ollie and Ezri's Inclusion.

Villa being in 4th place, has spooked Southgate, in so much as not including any of our players as possibly biased, which he doesn't want to admit to.

I think it is fair to say, that Toney, shows more aggression and devilment than Ollie.....but not sure he's an overall ( technically)better player, than our boy.

Edited by TRO

13 hours ago, tinker said:

So you would pick Rashford over Ollie for England but Ollie over Rashford for club football? 

Shame Ollie what get the chance to show his club form for country, as I have pointed out earlier hes a far more complete player than Rashford,  who isn't at bad player, he's just not as good as Ollie , IMHO.

No, I'd pick them both and leave Toney at home

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not sure, Ollie feels loved/accepted in the England set up....I think Southgate has pandered to the Media, and Ollies Stats.

I kinda  get a feeling of "token gesture" with Ollie and Ezri's Inclusion.

Villa being in 4th place, has spooked Southgate, in so much as not including any of our players as possibly biased, which he doesn't want to admit to.

I think it is fair to say, that Toney, shows more aggression and devilment than Ollie.....but not sure he's an overall ( technically)better player, than our boy.

Would Occam's Razor not suggest that he's just picked two players on form?

He's picked Ollie before, and Ezri was in the squad previously.

Southgate's a nob, but he's not blind.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Kane a doubt for tomorrow so Ollie may start. Oh, more likely, he'll play Rashford through the middle and Foden left.

That would be infuriating, I'd seriously rather see Toney start 

Would be delighted for him if Watkins started...

...but I'd rather he didn't play.  Or came on for 20 minutes and scored 3 or something.

To start or even get a cap v Brazil is a bucket list item for many players. Hopefully Ollie plays and gets a goal. He’ll then be set up very nicely for the business end of the season. 

• Like 2

Most predicted lineups have him in so I'd imagine he starts tonight, far more deserving than Toney, and a better player than Toney who I've always thought was massively overrated. Toney takes a better penalty than Ollie but is behind him on every other metric and also got himself banned for 9 months for betting on his own team, he's also a word removed of the highest order. 

I looked at the stats and Toney and Watkins both got 14 league goals from open play last season, 6 of Toney's goals were penalties. The season before Ollie didn't have his best season and only scored 11 goals but 10 of them were from open play, Toney only got 12 that season and again just 7 of these were from open play, 5 of them were from the penalty spot, so this myth that Toney is a better finisher is also rubbish. All 22 of Ollie's goals his season in all competitions have been non-penalties too and he's scored double figures in the league for four consecutive seasons despite playing under three different managers and having Ings get in his way for 18 months. He also gets more assists than Toney.

Not taking him to the Euros would be a disgrace but sadly he's trying to impress a bitter ex-Villa player who cannot see what is right in front of him. I just hope Ollie plays better than when he last started for England, against North Macedonia, he had a poor game that night albeit against a very defensive team and never got into the game. Brazil will be playing an inexperienced defence and will be more attacking so Ollie will definitely get chances, he just needs to take at least one of them. Probably be replaced by Toney in the 2nd half so it will be an audition for both of them. 

Edited by Leeroy

16 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Most predicted lineups have him in so I'd imagine he starts tonight, far more deserving than Toney, and a better player than Toney who I've always thought was massively overrated. Toney takes a better penalty than Ollie but is behind him on every other metric and also got himself banned for 9 months for betting on his own team, he's also a word removed of the highest order. 

I looked at the stats and Toney and Watkins both got 14 league goals from open play last season, 6 of Toney's goals were penalties. The season before Ollie didn't have his best season and only scored 11 goals but 10 of them were from open play, Toney only got 12 that season and again just 7 of these were from open play, 5 of them were from the penalty spot, so this myth that Toney is a better finisher is also rubbish. All 22 of Ollie's goals his season in all competitions have been non-penalties too and he's scored double figures in the league for four consecutive seasons despite playing under three different managers and having Ings get in his way for 18 months. He also gets more assists than Toney.

Not taking him to the Euros would be a disgrace but sadly he's trying to impress a bitter ex-Villa player who cannot see what is right in front of him. I just hope Ollie plays better than when he last started for England, against North Macedonia, he had a poor game that night albeit against a very defensive team and never got into the game. Brazil will be playing an inexperienced defence and will be more attacking so Ollie will definitely get chances, he just needs to take at least one of them. Probably be replaced by Toney in the 2nd half so it will be an audition for both of them. 

This smacks of recency bias

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not a great fan of Toney, he does think he's better than he is. But to be fair, he's playing in a poorer squad, so his figures aren't that bad.

Put him in that Arsenal squad, an I think they would win the league at a canter. As long g as Man City get relegated ofcourse. 😁

But the comparisons I've made, last season and the season before, Brentford finished 9th on 59 points (2 points behind us and 2 places behind us) and 13th on 46 points (1 point ahead of us and 1 place ahead of us). 

If we swapped Toney for Watkins we'd be worse off for it, I'm convinced of that. 

20 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C43K7gEtteo/?igsh=ZmptbW0yYm9na2th

Ollie is the purest guy! Not a bad bone in his body.

Haha this is so funny.

Totally agree with both of them but surely he understands why a Celtic-supporting Scotsman would want England to lose 🤣 McGinn definitely keeps a lid on it doesn't he.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 1

Thoroughly deserving of his start. I’d love him to grab a couple of goals tonight, and really announce himself as an England international.

• Like 3

Â