Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep I agree, I still think Southgate may favour Toney over Watkins.  It’s so obvious that Watkins should be second choice behind Kane but I’m not sure Southgate sees it that way.  I guess we’ll see.

In fairness, I think Toney is more similar to Kane in attributes/style, but Watkins has done everything he can to make sure he is on that plane. Personally, I’d take all 3. Glad to see you’re on board the ‘Ollie Watkins Train’ Nick! 👍🏼

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

In fairness, I think Toney is more similar to Kane in attributes/style, but Watkins has done everything he can to make sure he is on that plane. Personally, I’d take all 3. Glad to see you’re on board the ‘Ollie Watkins Train’ Nick! 👍🏼

Yeah totally. I wasn’t convinced he could get up to the next level of striker and partly through me being wrong and Ollie really maturing his game under Emery’s coaching he’s moved into that elite category.  

The type of goals he’s scoring now imo might have fluffed 12 months ago.  He looked a very good striker before obviously but missed that extra bit you need to be elite and I wasn’t sure he could get there but he has so fair dues because he proved me wrong.  

I’m delighted to be proved wrong obviously because it benefits Villa.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah totally. I wasn’t convinced he could get up to the next level of striker and partly through me being wrong and Ollie really maturing his game under Emery’s coaching he’s moved into that elite category.  

The type of goals he’s scoring now imo might have fluffed 12 months ago.  He looked a very good striker before obviously but missed that extra bit you need to be elite and I wasn’t sure he could get there but he has so fair dues because he proved me wrong.  

I’m delighted to be proved wrong obviously because it benefits Villa.

Was it you I used to tag every week when he went on that scoring run last season? 😅

• Haha 1

On his performance in the second half of last season I thought Ollie could get 20-25 goals this PL season. I made the prediction on here before the start of this season and a couple people on here thought it wasn’t possible.

Im glad he has elevated his performance again this season, time will tell whether he achieves the 20+ season goals club.

• Like 2

Southgate might pick him, but he won't play him very much. It will always be Kane, even if he isn't on form. 

He'd rather gamble with Toney, or one of the other choices than pick the one who's pretty much been on form for two seasons.

Will be the same for Konza

33 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Southgate might pick him, but he won't play him very much. It will always be Kane, even if he isn't on form and we're playing amateur footballers who are post men from Malta 

FTFY

His over use of kane is a stick to beat him with imo 

We don't have a nailed down 2nd striker for England, we have 2 friendlies in March vs Brazil and Belgium, ollie will do well to get 15 minutes in those games as kane starts both, we'll learn absolutely **** all from them 

And that too will be the same for Konsa, he'll play maguire and / or stones who he's already seen play 50+ times 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Was it you I used to tag every week when he went on that scoring run last season? 😅

I think that was Tom.

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

FTFY

We don't have a nailed down 2nd striker for England, we have 2 friendlies in March vs Brazil and Belgium, ollie will do well to get 15 minutes in those games as kane starts both, we'll learn absolutely **** all from them 

And that too will be the same for Konsa, he'll play maguire and / or stones who he's already seen play 50+ times 

Wonder if he’ll play Phillips despite how bad he’s been at West Ham, even dropped to the bench yesterday.  Sorry a bit off topic.

Hope Ollie gets some respect from Southgate though, I’m not expecting him to give Konsa any real time.

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Southgate might pick him, but he won't play him very much. It will always be Kane, even if he isn't on form. 

He'd rather gamble with Toney, or one of the other choices than pick the one who's pretty much been on form for two seasons.

Will be the same for Konza

Southgate is a bit of a clown, but it will be weird if he even contemplates that and I think even the national press would start questioning what he's doing.

First, Toney has missed half a season and is a gambler. Second, Toney plays for Brentford so it's not exactly a Sky 6 team (or Palace his favourite club) and clearly a much smaller club than Villa.

For me his competition is Toney and Solanke but neither deserve to go over him and both only have 1 England cap so it's hardly like they are filled with more international experience. Ollie has 9 caps and 3 goals. 

It would honestly be an outrage if he didn't take him, he has outperformed every striker in the league including the robot that is Haaland. 

Konsa deserves to go too, perhaps even more so. Ball playing defender in a high line, good recovery pace, and he plays right back and centre back so is versatile which Southgate says he loves. 

• Like 1

If Ollie maintains his current form till the end of the season Safegate will be hammered in the media if he doesn't make the England squad. Since Unai came in Watkins has been one of the best forwards in Europe based on his numbers. Just like it did with Jack, it took the media pundits a long time to realise how good he is. Now they have, they'll talk him up all the time.

He's also done it big games to, against top opposition. There's not much more he can do.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

FTFY

Yes, but you forgot recency bias. Konsa has only been probably the best centre half in the country for the last four years so still has a lot to prove. Same with Watkins, he’s only had a prolific, 24/36 months.

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 2

This is where i hope he can show that his purple patch can carry on longer and longer to help us. His first half was 10/10. Perfect forward play. Need him to get some change out of Romero and Van d Ven at the weekend now. If he can get us a win then we are in such a strong position to protect that top 4 slot. 

Thats on Emery as well to get players close to him as they will be pressing us all over the pitch. Going to be a really scary game but lets see if we can get a Man Ciry rather than Newcastle performance. 

32 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This is where i hope he can show that his purple patch can carry on longer and longer to help us. His first half was 10/10. Perfect forward play. Need him to get some change out of Romero and Van d Ven at the weekend now. If he can get us a win then we are in such a strong position to protect that top 4 slot. 

Thats on Emery as well to get players close to him as they will be pressing us all over the pitch. Going to be a really scary game but lets see if we can get a Man Ciry rather than Newcastle performance. 

If we play like we did against them last year we’ll win comfortably. We were brilliant that day.

Ollie will be in the squad. He's done enough already.  I think Foden. Watkins and Saks is a really exciting forward line but unlike Sir Alf who had the balls to drop Jimmy Greaves for the betterment of the team Southgate will never drop Kane. 

Â