Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

5 hours ago, Ponky said:

He's developing an excellent relationship with Diaby. As they start to really click it's going to cause some teams some real headaches. Genuine pace and ball carrying ability, with the likes of Ramsey and Zaniolo following them into the box.

one of my favourite things yesterday was the kicking from Emi into Zaniolo down the villa left. Zaniolo left so many for Watkins to run into just behind him, constantly dragging Dunk and the other lad out of position and creating space in the middle.

A tactical masterclass, it played perfectly to Ollies strengths and showed his growing relationship with Zaniolo.

• Like 1

He might hit 30 g+a contributions this season in the league. I'd have been happy if he got 20 before the season started. 

We've come off a difficult run of 8 PL fixtures and he's already at 7. Despite the many complaints about his performances across those 8 games.

By the end of November I reckon he could be at 15, before our next tricky run starts.

He's going to continue to miss chances (like the moment before Luiz scored), but we create so much through what he brings that he's going to hit some high numbers.

We have to accept the rough with the smooth with Ollie, but there is no way we're attracting or could afford someone better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He might hit 30 g+a contributions this season in the league. I'd have been happy if he got 20 before the season started. 

We've come off a difficult run of 8 PL fixtures and he's already at 7. Despite the many complaints about his performances across those 8 games.

By the end of November I reckon he could be at 15, before our next tricky run starts.

He's going to continue to miss chances (like the moment before Luiz scored), but we create so much through what he brings that he's going to hit some high numbers.

We have to accept the rough with the smooth with Ollie, but there is no way we're attracting or could afford someone better.

He's hit 23 g+a in 2 of the 3 seasons he's been here and this is his first full season under a top manager so every chance 🤞

35 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

It may surprise a few that Ollie has only scored more than one goal in a single match on 4 occasions in the Premier League

When he does, some of the greatest ever Villa performances, at least in recent memory, seem to follow:

Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool

Arsenal 0-3 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle 

Aston Villa 6-1 Brighton 

It's been one of my criticisms of Ollie in the past.  But it does look like things are changing.  I really liked how annoyed he was for missing the chance late on (even after Dougie slotted in the rebound).  He's going to get a lot more chances in a lot more games with the way we are trying to play - so it will be great to see him get a few more braces.  He was excellent against Brighton.  I liked how Zaniolo and Diaby pulled defenders away with their runs and Ollie took full advantage of the space that they created.  Really promising signs.  I mean we aren't going to score 6 every week - but the fact that we're creating space by players attacking space without the ball and drawing defenders away from where they should be is really encouraging.  Ramsey is another who is really going to benefit from this as there will be much more space for him to run into.

• Like 2

Ollie's career hat trick tally - 5. This is the first in front of his own fans.

Away hat tricks in Wales, England and Scotland for his  3 clubs - at Newport for Exeter, at Barnsley for Brentford and at Hibs for Villa.

At home v Liverpool was in front of an empty Villa Park due to Covid. At last gets one in front of home fans. I think the Liverpool one is the only 'perfect' hat trick (right foot, left foot, header)

• Like 4

I'd imagine even Southgate can't ignore him and will have to call him up on Thursday, he's outperforming Haaland this season according to FPL points which is actually insane.

Whether he gets any minutes who the hell knows, that Australia friendly is the perfect game to start him, but Southgate is such a tool he'll probably start Kane.

On 02/10/2023 at 20:48, DeadlyDirk said:

Only another 24 goals to go before he matches Gabby's premier league goal tally for us. Hopefully then talksport and the media can stop referring to Gabby as "Aston Villa legend...." 

Can't come soon enough

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I'd imagine even Southgate can't ignore him and will have to call him up on Thursday

It was Talksport talking point, as meaningless as that is, when Nketiah got named instead. Now Southgate anti Villa bias that we all know about will be called out if Watkins doesn't get selected but he will be because media influence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

I'd imagine even Southgate can't ignore him and will have to call him up on Thursday, he's outperforming Haaland this season according to FPL points which is actually insane.

Whether he gets any minutes who the hell knows, that Australia friendly is the perfect game to start him, but Southgate is such a tool he'll probably start Kane.

I'm sure he will start Kane despite the fact there's absolutely zero value in doing so. The guy is so short sighted. Of course I'll give him a chance to do the right thing but he usually never fails to disappoint 😆

• Like 1

It is a bit concerning that the contract still hasn't been signed considering talks have been happening for around 6 months now?

I suppose Dougie did get into the final year of his deal though and still end up signing a new one.

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

His physicality up front makes a real difference to us - he's strong as a bear, a big solid unit without losing the pace and mobility that's part of his game - athletes like Ollie are a rarity.

I'd like to think Zaniolo can fill in eventually.

Ollie's durability is a joke though. Takes such a brutal battering all the time. Hasn't missed a minute of game time since he's been here.

• Like 1

Must be tempting for Ollie to see out the contract and move on as a free agent, I sincerely hope this doesn’t happen of course but he could end up having his pick of clubs across Europe. 

Which is funny in some respects because I still can’t make up my mind if he’s that good from a technical perspective. Don’t get me wrong, he’s pivotal for us, essential to the way we play and borderline irreplaceable, and yet he does have deficiencies. Anyway, hopefully he signs a bumper contract and stays with us for the foreseeable - I’d imagine, given his worth to us, that he’s asking for money in line with the top earners at the club which is probably a massive increase and hence the duration of the negotiations.

• Like 1

He surely wants to be the main man wherever he goes. Where other than here, a club clearly on the up, with a tight knit group that have been together a while and have a good camaraderie going on, would he realistically get that? I think thats priced into his thinking.

Arsenal is the only club he’d surely accept a rotational role in. The noises in the media are that he’s happy here so I can only see him signing on for another 4 years. Emery is the guy you want to play for. I expect it to be announced soon tbh

I’d be quite annoyed if he just saw his contract out with us, not least because it would ruin some of the feel-good vibe about the club right now.

He must be asking for a major pay increase if the deal still isn’t signed. What’s he on now? The internet says £75k but presumably nobody actually knows. I suppose that sounds about right for player we bought for about £30m, even if we were in a much lower league position at the time.

He’ll be nearly 30 when his contract with us is up, which is pretty much pensionable age for a striker (especially one who relies so much on physicality) - maybe the club just doesn’t want him on the books at 150k+ a week until he’s 34 or so?

Â