Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, Viloon said:

Good energy, never stops trying, liked by the fans. I do agree he lacks composure and more importantly accuracy in front of goal and his touch isn't great either. He will suffice this season if Unai can't get better in, but I think we will see him exposed now the team is better, if he missed those chances in a league game yesterday (which he does) he will cost us points and the mood on here will shift in seconds.

100%

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Selling Watkins would be absolute madness. Give him a new contract and he will, if he stays fit, undoubtedly break most recent goal scoring records that we have this season.

Hopefully that will mean we win a cup or finish in champions league next season. That will then be the time to see if we can upgrade but it will cost north of 50m and we should still keep Ollie regardless as he would be the perfect squad option for the forward positions. 

Exactly, more time to figure who we need, but if we do so, we should sell him, you can’t keep a 50m asset on the bench, especially as a lone striker. We need to be dynamic on selling and buying. Once you bench Watkins his value will decrease. We can’t afford that. 

13 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

....and therein lies the problem. He's not even close to good enough for 'where we want to be'......far from it.

He has no spatial awareness in the box, useless in the air, and just swings a boot at whatever drops close to him. In a one on one situation with the keeper, I'd expect him to miss more than he scores. He scored 15 last season in spite of his deficiencies, not because he's good.....I heard he expects to score 20+ next season ? God knows where we're going to get 45 penalties from.

Insane, and if you knew anything about Ollie you’d know he’s not a good penalty taker. Suggest a few replacements for him that aren’t going to be double our record transfer fee? 

I can see Watkins scoring 20-25 goals this season in the PL, he will get the opportunities. If he can lift his game to that level then there is no need for a new striker. But if he fails to take those opportunities this season, then Emery may look for that elite striker to be the new number 1.

Big season ahead for him.

45 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I can see Watkins scoring 20-25 goals this season in the PL, he will get the opportunities. If he can lift his game to that level then there is no need for a new striker. But if he fails to take those opportunities this season, then Emery may look for that elite striker to be the new number 1.

Big season ahead for him.

20-25 goals is a bit optimistic, no?  That's Harry Kane numbers.  We've never had a player that has scored 20+ Premier League goals, a few have came close. 

I'd say a more reasonable 15-20 is probably the most league goals we can expect from Ollie. 

• Like 3

He is what he is. Has the odd hot streak, has the odd cold streak. Sometimes looks a world beater, sometimes couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. The main draw back with him is his lack of composure. In any given goal scoring position you never know what you're going to get from him, which is what puts him on a level below the really top notch strikers. I think 15 a season is about his limit really, although he might get one or two more. What we need is somebody capable of hitting 20 and beyond. It makes such a big difference. Appreciate those players are few and far between, but it is what we need, whether we can afford one or not.

• Like 3

Back Ollie to score 20 this year. 

Fourth year here with a full season under Unai and finally a system to consistently supply him the ball. 

Think he will reach it in all comps at least if not the league. 

Edited by DJBOB

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

He is what he is. Has the odd hot streak, has the odd cold streak. Sometimes looks a world beater, sometimes couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. The main draw back with him is his lack of composure. In any given goal scoring position you never know what you're going to get from him, which is what puts him on a level below the really top notch strikers. I think 15 a season is about his limit really, although he might get one or two more. What we need is somebody capable of hitting 20 and beyond. It makes such a big difference. Appreciate those players are few and far between, but it is what we need, whether we can afford one or not.

I'd be quite content Ollie getting in and around 15 goals in the league, as I think Diaby can also get those numbers barring a long injury of course.  In fact, i'd say it would be more likely Diaby that hits 20+ for us, he looks a finisher.

34 minutes ago, Risso said:

Every club in Europe wants a striker that can hit 20+ every season. The real question is if 15 goals from your main striker enough to challenge the top 4 and I think the answer is a solid yes. Especially when you are getting 10+ from his strike partner and then your midfielders/defenders are chipping in where needed. 

The real worry is whether either of his backups can produce anywhere near his standard if he gets injured. Neither of them have ever produced at the PL level so if you wanted to shore up our top 4 challenge you would look there for an upgrade. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

20-25 goals is a bit optimistic, no?  That's Harry Kane numbers.  We've never had a player that has scored 20+ Premier League goals, a few have came close.

Of course, Pongo scored 50 one year for the Villa in league play. His ghost haunts the Holte goal mouth. 

• Like 1

He'd have got 20 last season if the start of it hadn't been plagued by Gerrard.

I think he'd get 20 in the league next season if he comes back the same player that finished it. Not saying he will, but he's easily capable of it. 

As others said though, the important thing is having someone else in double figures alongside him. Been far too long since we've had a threat from anywhere else in the pitch.

Youri, Diaby, and Ramsey could all get double figures this season. Hopefully one of them will and the others will at least get close.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

I'd say a more reasonable 15-20 is probably the most league goals we can expect from Ollie. 

He needs to do better than last season and he had a slow start.

10 hours ago, turvontour said:

We've been consistently the 2nd or 3rd best team in the premier league from the start of November last year to the end of May this year. Why would we need to replace the majority of our team to make top 4?

Newcastle finished 3rd with a team which features Schar, Burn, Willock, Murphy, Almiron, Targett etc. They all played at villa park in April. 

I think to do it consistently we will need better. I don't also believe that Newcastle can finish top 4 for multiple seasons with that team. It was a surprise I think all will admit. 

I can't imagine any other top 4 side playing Ollie up front for a season. I can see him coming off the bench for them. This tells me he's good but probably not someone who can play consistently in a top 4 side. Same with a lot of the others. Sorry, just how I see it. 

I think it's pretty good going at this level to have a striker that has shown they can consistently get 10-15 a season, our issue has more so been not having enough goals coming from elsewhere in the squad. Most of the sides we were and hope to continue to compete with either have numerous players in double figures, or at least not far off whereas Villa's next highest scorers were Ramsey and Luiz on 6. If Ollie is able to get 14-15 again and the likes of Diaby, Ramsey etc can get in the general area of 10 things should be pretty healthy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Every club in Europe wants a striker that can hit 20+ every season. The real question is if 15 goals from your main striker enough to challenge the top 4 and I think the answer is a solid yes. Especially when you are getting 10+ from his strike partner and then your midfielders/defenders are chipping in where needed. 

The real worry is whether either of his backups can produce anywhere near his standard if he gets injured. Neither of them have ever produced at the PL level so if you wanted to shore up our top 4 challenge you would look there for an upgrade. 

Arsenal didn' have a player who scored more than 15 goals and finished 2nd and were in a title race.

Think that answers your question.

Man City dominated the league with a false 9.

In the best teams goals are spread around.

Gabriel Jesus hit 11 goals, Watkins hit 15.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 3

No issues if Ollie scored 12-15 goals. 

In fact, I'd wager Diaby scores more than Ollie. And that's nothing against Ollie - he will likely be just as influential, but I think the goals will be spread across the attackers and midfield a bit more. Heck, I'd put Dougie down for 6-7 goals. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Arsenal didn' have a player who scored more than 15 goals and finish 2nd and were in a title race.

Think that answers your question.

Man City dominated the league with a false 9.

In the best teams goals are spread around.

Gabriel Jesus hit 11 goals, Watkins hit 15.

And Spurs finished 8th with a striker scoring 20+ goals , which further proves your point.

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

And Spurs finished 8th with a striker scoring 20+ goals , which further proves your point.

I remember United becoming way more succesful when selling Nistelrooy.

He was replaced by quicker, more mobile and dynamic forwards. They became a much more scary team. More unpredictable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yeah but outside of Kane they are a shocking team, especially that defence.  No point your striker scoring goals when you concede 63 goals in the league, so I don’t think it proves the point.  If we had Kane’s number goals last season and not Ollie’s we would’ve been in CL place because it does make that difference.

• Like 2

Watkins is ideal for us right now. Suits our system perfectly. 

He is a solid finisher. His goals to shots ratio last season was very respectable.

Strikers have days where they can't find a finish, it happens. But Ollie never has a day where he isn't beneficial to or performance. And he never gets injured. 

Simply put, he is just so incredibly reliable! This makes him a managers dream.

Â