Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Where did you read that? 

EDIT: Well, I just found where the 170 mill was quoted from, and seems it's absolute bollox of a story lol

Watkins is in the form of his life at Villa. Unai Emery has helped transform the 27-year-old since he replaced the sacked Steven Gerrard last November.

Watkins has 12 goals in 17 Premier League appearances under Emery, including 11 in his last 12. Arsenal have held a long-term interest in the forward, dating back to midway through last season.

The Sun claimed Arsenal, the club Watkins supported growing up, had him on a shortlist of strikers to replace Alexandre Lacazette but ultimately chose Gabriel Jesus. Meanwhile, United have been jokingly quoted £100million plus Marcus Rashford to sign Watkins by former Villa striker Stan Collymore.

Rashford is valued at £70million on transfermarkt.co.uk, so the deal for Watkins would total a whopping £170m. But it appears the forward is going nowhere.

Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins has reportedly made a decision over his future amid talk over a potential move to Arsenal or Manchester United. It is claimed the England international is close to signing a new contract at Villa Park.

Arsenal target who supported them and Man Utd were quoted £170m for 'decides future' | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Ollie went right off form last time he had a kid.  But from experience the second kid is far easier. Done all the panicking and worrying with the first. And by the time number 3 comes along you just leave them to it 

I'm hoping the wife is understanding and they will put something in place which allows the lad to get the peace and rest he needs to continue performing,

Obviously it's a tough one, and easier said than done, but it's only 7 games remaining and then he can devote everything to the new lad, hopefully having helped us secure Europe!

• Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 20:29, bannedfromHandV said:

Ollie has been very poor for us?

Gosh yes he has been - surely you can’t forget this period? He was very poor, I’m sure if you can be bothered to look back in this thread, you will find that many others felt this way too - I doubt there would have been many tears if he had been sold.

What we are currently witnessing is quite a remarkable turn around, which I do expect to continue under Emery, however I just think that a degree of caution is in order for the time being.

The ingredients are all there now - Humble, determined, pace, strength, willingness to learn and equally as important a great coach who believes in him and has the nouse to get the very best out of Ollie.

I do believe he is becoming the real deal, just a little more time is needed in my view 

40 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Gosh yes he has been - surely you can’t forget this period? He was very poor, I’m sure if you can be bothered to look back in this thread, you will find that many others felt this way too - I doubt there would have been many tears if he had been sold.

What we are currently witnessing is quite a remarkable turn around, which I do expect to continue under Emery, however I just think that a degree of caution is in order for the time being.

The ingredients are all there now - Humble, determined, pace, strength, willingness to learn and equally as important a great coach who believes in him and has the nouse to get the very best out of Ollie.

I do believe he is becoming the real deal, just a little more time is needed in my view 

Ollie is a strange mix of physical ability. He is quick and strong but also wins the beep test every year  . Its like usain bolt being good at cross country  as well  .

Seems he had it all before. Just needed direction and a manager that didnt want to rely on his workrate around the pitch     its simple really. Less tired means more accurate . Lower heart rate so he can steady himself more easily. 

• Like 2

Ollie Watkins says Aston Villa are in the “best moment” since he joined the club from Brentford.

“I’m loving it, there’s no denying it; all the boys are,” he said.

“Since the new manager has come in, we couldn’t have made a better start. I’m really enjoying it, working hard and trying to keep the momentum going.

“I’m trying to keep doing what I’m doing: scoring goals, assisting and helping the team to win and keep clean sheets.

“All around it’s going really well. It’s probably the best moment since I’ve been at the club.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2023/april/21/watkins-revelling-in--best-moment--of-villa-career-/

So if he scores this weekend he would have scored in 5 straight games for the second time this season. He would also have scored in 7 straight away games which must me some sort of record. He has most goal contributions in the league since the world cup and is also tied first for goals since the world cup with Erling Cyborg. Sensational stuff.

Since Danny Ings was moved on;

vs. Southampton (A) 0-1 ⚽

vs. Leicester (H) 2-4 ⚽

vs. Man City (A) 3-1 ⚽

vs. Arsenal (H) 2-4 ⚽

vs. Everton (A) 0-2 ⚽

vs. Crystal Palace (H) 1-0 

vs. West Ham (A) 1-1 ⚽

vs. Bournemouth (H) 3-0 🅰️

vs. Chelsea (A) 0-2 ⚽

vs. Leicester City (A) 1-2 ⚽

vs. Nott’m Forest (H) 2-0 ⚽

vs. Newcastle Utd (H) 3-0 ⚽⚽🅰️

👏👏👏

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm hoping the wife is understanding and they will put something in place which allows the lad to get the peace and rest he needs to continue performing,

Obviously it's a tough one, and easier said than done, but it's only 7 games remaining and then he can devote everything to the new lad, hopefully having helped us secure Europe!

Football clubs factor this in, they know form drops off when you have a kid but they also factor in that for the long term you’re less likely to be out on the lash, so they are happy overall. Fingers crossed though he doesn’t suffer as much as the first time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Could also be the second one is a better sleeper. The first catches people off guard and doubly so if you roll the dice and the firstborn doesn’t sleep well. Seem to remember a post from his missus of Ollie sleeping in the crib with the first so that definitely takes a toll. 

A good thing Unai is having him run less so he can be well rested when through on goal!

There were several factors in play at the time of the arrival of the first.

World coming out of lockdown, loss of Grealish and complete identity at the club, arrival of direct competition infusing doubt in his mind, loss of manager that had managed him for most his career, and then subsequent arrival of incompetent clown with no style of play at all. 

These cumulative impacts, along with the shell-shock sleep deprivation that your first born usually brings with it, more than explain his drop off in form. 

It's also worth pointing out his drop off in form wasn't that bad, just relatively bad compared with his previous, and exacerbated by the shit show the rest of the villa squad were offering at the time.

Second time round, he'll know what to expect, he's at a club with huge confidence and stars performing across the pitch, and he's got a manager that will know how to handle it. It's world's away and i'd be shocked if we have to worry about it. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Or...his first baby could be nothing to do with why he was in poor (was it even that bad?) form around that time? It's one hell of an assumption to make.

It really isn’t. It’s documented and indexed heavily at clubs what effect getting married has, what effect having a kid has, etc. Sure, you might be right and the two things could be entirely coincidental in his case - but the data would suggest a drop off in form after a new baby is to be expected.

Dont get me wrong. I think the main reason for his poor run was Gerrard. But before that, if I remember the timings, the baby was a likely factor.

Edited by Adam2003

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Or...his first baby could be nothing to do with why he was in poor (was it even that bad?) form around that time? It's one hell of an assumption to make.

I’m worried how his second one will affect him! 

He's standing on the edge of greatness, some doubted his ability but he never did and thats what matters.

He's always going to try and improve or change/ develop to get where he needs to go, that's the mark of a great player. 

I so hope he stays with us to achieve  his goals but even if he goes I know , given a fair chance,  he will. 

With Emery in charge he would be very foolish to jump ship....... even if he does I'm confident we will succeed. Sign the contract Ollie. 

I found the second MUCH harder than the first, personally.

Of course if I was earning PL wages then I'd just hire a nanny so I could have some time to myself occasionally, and the whole thing would be much more manageable. So I don't think it'll affect Ollie quite the way it might affect one of us mere mortals. I'd be surprised if his form took much of a dive.

Been great lately no doubt.

But he has to be more incisive with his passing in games like this. His passing is his worst attribute. That late counter I thought that aimless dink to Brentford defenders was very lazy as well. And he wasn't switched on for the through ball from Buendia, that could have been 1-2.

Â