Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

It's not difficult to find ways to criticise him though. Don't know why people get so defensive about it. The weaknesses in his game are blindingly obvious.

Oh, its plain as day that he has weaknesses, almost all players do. 

These particular comments were nothing to do with his weaknesses, however.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2023 at 09:02, ender4 said:

He's scored 33 goals for Villa, which means he's overtaken Jack Grealish now. 

He needs 5 more to equal Ashley Young and 8 more to equal Ian Taylor.

34 goals now for Villa. Equal with Milosevic and 4 behind Ashley Young.

• Like 2

He’s so much like Gabby.  If they have to think about it, take a second touch, then the chance has gone.  Don’t think about it and it’s in the net.  What I would give to have Gary Shaw alongside him though!  Now he could finish

58 minutes ago, AVFCGB said:

He’s so much like Gabby.  If they have to think about it, take a second touch, then the chance has gone.  Don’t think about it and it’s in the net.  What I would give to have Gary Shaw alongside him though!  Now he could finish

Nah. Nothing like Gabby.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Apparently has a better goals-per-game ratio for us than Dwight Yorke.

I would say Yorke was played out wide a lot in a 4-4-2 in his first 4/5 years. Not really a fair comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Oaks said:

I would say Yorke was played out wide a lot in a 4-4-2 in his first 4/5 years. Not really a fair comparison. 

yeah, dwight yorke started at Villa as a winger.

pretty sure he only converted to a "striker" in his last 3 years at Villa (3 of 7 and a half-ish seasons).

8 hours ago, AVFCGB said:

He's scored as many goals in last 3 games as Gabby did his last 3 seasons including 2 seasons in Championship. 1822 minutes 

Add Watkins last season for 17 total is more than Gabby 13 in last 5 seasons. 6964 minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 2

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's scored as many goals in last 3 games as Gabby did his last 3 seasons including 2 seasons in Championship. 1822 minutes 

Add Watkins last season for 17 total is more than Gabby 13 in last 5 seasons. 6964 minutes. 

Tbf Gabby was a good player before his bulking up. I think they are similar players but obviously Watkins has a much better attitude to training etc so I'd imagine will have a far longer career and won't completely implode in his last few seasons 

15 hours ago, Oaks said:

Ollie had to play under Steven Gerrard for god's sake. 

It's a miracle he can still kick a football with that c**kwomble in charge, however short it was. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, weedman said:

Tbf Gabby was a good player before his bulking up. I think they are similar players but obviously Watkins has a much better attitude to training etc so I'd imagine will have a far longer career and won't completely implode in his last few seasons 

At a similar age Gabby was powering in a 5 goal season for is. Guy had no professionalism at all

19 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yep.

Also Benteke scored 42 goals for Villa. Watkins only needs 8 goals more to equal him.

Eh?  Benteke scored 42 league goals in 89 league games but in total scored 49 goals in 101 total games.  

Ollie is 34 total goals in 100 games but apples to apples in your example on league games he has 31 goals in 93 leagues games.

So Ollie needs 15 goals to equal Benteke total.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Eh?  Benteke scored 42 league goals in 89 league games but in total scored 49 goals in 101 total games.  

Ollie is 34 total goals in 100 games but apples to apples in your example on league games he has 31 goals in 93 leagues games.

So Ollie needs 15 goals to equal Benteke total.

Ollie has a hit rate at Villa of 2.94

Benteke has a hit rate at Villa of 2.06

Benteke wins hands down.....However, never realized that prolificacy, after he left us.

Â