Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

we'll have a hard ******* time finding a striker who is an upgrade on him with a similar skill set in the current market. Players have gone for almost double what he went for and have flamed out quickly. Even Darwin Núñez, who went for 80m, has the same # of goals that Ollie has. 

Is this a joke, hard to find a striker as good as Watkins, some hold him in proper high regard, considering the amount if points hes lost us this season?? As for Nunez, he's in a team performing poorly, I'd have him here in a heartbeat!!

Pay me £150k a year and I'll find you a striker, as I'm sure Uni could manage it fir the Summer.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is this a joke, hard to find a striker as good as Watkins, some hold him in proper high regard, considering the amount if points hes lost us this season?? As for Nunez, he's in a team performing poorly, I'd have him here in a heartbeat!!

Pay me £150k a year and I'll find you a striker, as I'm sure Uni could manage it fir the Summer.

Distinct lack of names I keep seeing as examples of this mythical striker.

remember, they actually have to be gettable for Villa. It’s no good just saying Osimhien or someone who’d cost £90m…

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Distinct lack of names I keep seeing as examples of this mythical striker.

remember, they actually have to be gettable for Villa. It’s no good just saying Osimhien or someone who’d cost £90m…

As I said we are not scouts or sporting directors, so I doubt we would know a name. But I'm sure the person employed to find us players has a few on his list, if not we need to find someone that has.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The problem here for me is this: both sides of this argument have merit.

I don’t believe for one moment that Ollie is good enough for where we want to go.

But then to go to that level of striker - it would cost a hell of a lot of money and attracting them here is going to be difficult.

Personally I would swap for Nunez as I believe his ceiling is significantly higher in time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, very little wrong with Ollie’s performance again other than missing a pretty easy chance at the back post.

He’s really starting to thrive under Emery I think.

It wasn't easy - the keeper touched the cross as it was coming over. He was in the right spot for the initial ball but couldn't readjust in the split second he had.

• Like 3

I guess I go to and watch games and get frustrated at the amount of chances we create for the forwards and can't finish, I dread to think of how many points it's lost us. It's not only Ollie ofcourse, as I'm not sure why we put so much trust in Bailey, he can be just as frustrating. 

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Definitely not a joke, you'd find it very hard to get another striker of Watkins' quality with his pace. The number of points he's lost us this season? I don't recall him having a specific negative impact in a game such that he lost us points. Sure, there are misses that he has but every single striker will have sitters that are missed. Those who don't have a lot are at a much higher echelon of club than us. I have 43 signings from the last 5 years with a PL club involved and most of them are strikers or play in a striking position (I could've added a ton of wingers as well, but I did not). I would say that I would be surprised if I'd take more than 10 from this list over Ollie at the minute + some of them are unrealistic because they went to a Man City / Arsenal / Man United etc. 

1. Rodrigo Leeds 30m
  2. Jean-Kévin Augustin 21m Leeds
  3. Brewster Sheffield United 26m
  4. Karlan Grant WBA 17m
  5. Fabio Silva Wolves 40m
  6. Raul Jimenez Wolves 40m
  7. Patrick Cutrone Wolves 19m
  8. Moise Keane Everton 28m --> Going to Juventus for 30m this summer with the obligation to buy.
  9. Ayoze Perez Leicester 33m
  10. Sébastien Haller - West Ham 50m --> Ajax 22 m two summers ago -> Dortmund last summer 30m
  11. Marko Arnautovic - Shanghai (from West Ham) 25m
  12. Joelinton - Newcastle 44m now plays a midfield position.
  13. Danny Ings - Southampton 25m --> Villa 25m --> West Ham 15m
  14. Che Adams -- Southampton 18m
  15. Wesley -- Villa -- 25m
  16. Lukaku --> Inter 74m --> Chelsea 113m --> Loan to Inter
  17. Solanke --> Bournemouth 22m
  18. Richarlison -- Everton 40m --> Spurs 60m
  19. Felipe Anderson -- West Ham 40m
  20. Mitrovic -- Fulham 25m
  21. Morata -- Atleti 35m
  22. Sorloth -- Leipzig 20m
  23. Weghorst Burnley (January) 17m --> now on loan at Manchester United
  24. Abraham -- Roma 40m
  25. Dan James -- Leeds 30m
  26. Daka -- Leicester 30m
  27. Alvarez -- Manchester City 21m
  28. Chris Wood -- Newcastle 30m in Jan --> now on loan at Forest
  29. Adam Armstrong Southampton 18m
  30. Gabriel Jesus -- Arsenal 53m 
  31. Duran -- Villa -- 17m
  32. Gordon -- Newcastle 45m
  33. Aaronson -- Leeds 33m
  34. Rutter -- Leeds 28m
  35. Núñez -- Liverpool 80m
  36. Gakpo -- Liverpool 42m
  37. Haaland -- Manchester City 60m
  38. Antony -- Manchester United 95m
  39. Isak -- Newcastle 70m
  40. Morgan Gibbs-White -- Nottingham Forest 30m
  41. Awoniyi -- Nottingham Forest 21m
  42. Scamacca -- West Ham 36m
  43. Guedes -- Wolves 32m left on loan to Benfica in the next transfer window after being bought.

4 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

The problem here for me is this: both sides of this argument have merit.

I don’t believe for one moment that Ollie is good enough for where we want to go.

But then to go to that level of striker - it would cost a hell of a lot of money and attracting them here is going to be difficult.

Personally I would swap for Nunez as I believe his ceiling is significantly higher in time.

Completely the point I'm making. Ollie is a part of the "best of the rest" for PL strikers and we want to make it to the "top 6". We just aren't at a financial position to where we can spend the same amount of money on players as some of them are. I think almost all of us would swap Ollie for Núñez, but Liverpool paid almost triple for him as we did for Ollie. We are competing with every club outside of Man City / Tottenham / PSG for these players and they are extremely hard to find. that's why Manchester United have signed Wout Weghorst as their striking option. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

As I said we are not scouts or sporting directors, so I doubt we would know a name. But I'm sure the person employed to find us players has a few on his list, if not we need to find someone that has.

That's a cop out!

Its so easy but because you're not a scout you can't do it?

Come on, the striker market is shit at the moment, hardly anything put there and as a result value for money will be even harder to come by

It would or at least should be easier to find a goalscoring wide man or just looking how to get more goals from the team in general, Ramsey getting some form back and pushing for 8 to 10 league goals next year, 2 wingers doing the same, then ollies 15 goals isn't so bad

• Like 3

Sorry thats bullshit. If you want to be the big shot and say somebody is shit at least throw some ideas about who is better

• Like 3

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I guess I go to and watch games and get frustrated at the amount of chances we create for the forwards and can't finish, I dread to think of how many points it's lost us. It's not only Ollie ofcourse, as I'm not sure why we put so much trust in Bailey, he can be just as frustrating. 

Until Emery came in we were one of the worst creative teams in the premier league. Ollie had 2 goals from an xg of 3.5 under Gerrard underperforming yes but not Jesus levels of underperforming(we would all take him right). Since then he has 3 from 4 xg and 6 goal contributions in 7 games under Emery. I think we should all forget what happened under Gerrard everyone was shit. 

The thing that surprises me is that best strikers in the Premier League actually also lead the pack in big chances missed. That's a fact. Lots of goals = Lots of misses, too. Paradoxically, Ollie actually needs to miss (and get) more big chances to improve. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Sorry thats bullshit. If you want to be the big shot and say somebody is shit at least throw some ideas about who is better

I mean, we're all just fans here, aren't we, on a football forum, not applying for jobs as top-level scouts? I can moan about some petty issue in my local government, and that doesn't mean I need to become the mayor or shut up, right?

Someone like Terem Moffi would be a nice addition. Isn't necessarily better, but he's very good. Can we prise him away from West Ham's approach? Ollie's getting better under Emery, and maybe being very good if not a superstar is just fine when you look at all the moving pieces likely to come this summer. Don't we deserve to have two finishers? Of course we do. But yes, it's so hard to find one right now.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

14 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Put it this way, if he was a Harry Kane-esque finisher, he'd be at Real Madrid and not B6. 

To be at Real Madrid, there's plenty of other aspects he'd need to improve on other than finishing I'm afraid.

Â