Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Saw the best and qorst of watkins yesterday.  Superb goal then some absolutely shocking moments like the one above. I remember other chances once where bailey was screaming fir the pass and watkins just made a complete mess of the shot

I still dont think he is good enough for where we want to go. I expect emery will be looking for a upgrade on ollie come the jan/summer windows

Yeah,  one good moment, several bad.

The goal was a decent finish but it was a one on one he should score more often than not, and even then he had a heavy touch before letting the shot off that almost let the keeper smother it.

After the goal, instead of it giving him confidence, he gave up.

Can't rely on him to bring us the goals we need consistently at this level. About right for a lower half PL team,  but if we want more, we need better.

• Like 1

Impressed with his finish last night - he's learnt that he can actually lift the ball over the keeper!
Annoyingly, if he'd done the same against Leeds and Forest, we'd be much better off. 

Has looked ok --> good in the last few matches. Hopefully he keeps improving under Emery but we do still probably need better. 

• Like 2

The one thing I will say in Watkins defense was that he looked absolutely knackered in the second half.

It doesn’t show because he’s still putting in 100% but I’ve always wondered how much the fatigue amplifies his shit touches towards the end.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

The one thing I will say in Watkins defense was that he looked absolutely knackered in the second half.

It doesn’t show because he’s still putting in 100% but I’ve always wondered how much the fatigue amplifies his shit touches towards the end.

I agree, he looked shattered. 

You've got to wonder what Cameron Archer needs to do to get some mins at present given the fact that Ings came off and Watkins was spent and he still didn't get on the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Saw the best and qorst of watkins yesterday.  Superb goal then some absolutely shocking moments like the one above. I remember other chances once where bailey was screaming fir the pass and watkins just made a complete mess of the shot

I still dont think he is good enough for where we want to go. I expect emery will be looking for a upgrade on ollie come the jan/summer windows

...It was the best of times it was the QORST of times?! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Thats what I thought when he messed up that chance given to him by Bailey. The fact the three managers  kept picking him and dont want to take him off shows that hes very important to us and would be difficult to replace. 

Edited by PaulC

Just now, PaulC said:

Thats what I thought when he messed up that chance given to him by Bailey. The fact the three managers now keep picking him and dont want to take him off shows that hes very important to us and would be difficult to replace. 

He'd also just had treatment before that happened. He seemed to be showing signs of fatigue yesterday which is unlike him usually. This World Cup break may come at the right time for Watkins to recharge a bit for the remainder of the season.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Yeah,  one good moment, several bad.

The goal was a decent finish but it was a one on one he should score more often than not, and even then he had a heavy touch before letting the shot off that almost let the keeper smother it.

After the goal, instead of it giving him confidence, he gave up.

Can't rely on him to bring us the goals we need consistently at this level. About right for a lower half PL team,  but if we want more, we need better.

Agree wholeheartedly MrB

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Was thinking this as well watching the game. There were the occasional bad touches (which happen, and we all know about) but toward the end of the game - and for the ball from Bailey part - he just looked absolutely ****.

His goal last night showed great touch, pace and composure to (finally) lift one over the keeper.  Unfortunately, like his assist for Ramsey on Sunday, these moments are very much the exception rather than the rule.  At least for this season and last.  Too often he is let down by his poor touch, and even when he gets that right, he's let down by his lack of composure.  His ball control is generally atrocious for a top level player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I'd take Watkins over Ings, Calvin Lewin, Toney, Wilson, Antonio

In the cross bar challenge 

Dud you know he has outscored all of them in the prem the past two and a half years (toney will most likely overtake him) and assisted more that any of then except for antonio?

Impressive stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â