Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

There was a few interviews like this when Gerrard first came in. It was weird. Almost PR managed.

Exactly the same phrasing, we've got this and that different from before, clear instructions etc...this then before going out and playing like they've never seen a football. Quite interesting.

Well he can tell them all the things they should do… so can I… it doesn’t mean either of us can coach them to do it ;)

On 01/08/2022 at 12:59, Condimentalist said:

I actually think we should use the strikers tactically, at least until one comes into form that makes them undroppable.

In games we expect to dominate, I'd play Ings for his better link up play and finishing. 

In games where we may be playing more on the break, Watkins may be a better option for his physicality and pace. 

Ings should start at Bournemouth IMO.

This is how I see it as well. 

Ings better when we have a lot of the ball and are searching for openings. Watkins better when defending long periods and hitting on the counter. 

My impression from Gerrard though is he doesn’t change the style when we go up against the Champions League teams, we just continue to act like we can go toe to toe with them. 

8 hours ago, Chine said:

This  ⬆️ , we seem to be dropping and trying to block passing lanes whilst setting traps more than hunting the ball now 

Yeah that was the point of the narrow 10s so we block off central Midfield and force the ball wide and then press it. Blocking the pass back to the CBs and forcing a long pass down field or pass back to GK. 

Other teams like City Liverpool Arsenal etc.. press high trying to force turnovers close to opposition goal or force the long kick. This forces a high line from their defence to stay compact. I think we will exploit this a lot with Watkins and Bailey and the top level talent of Carlos long switch pass. 

This can lead to opposition defence to sit a little deeper to avoid that which will give us more space in midfield to play and it's a way to counter high press teams. 

We have the tools now with the players we've got we need to execute on the pitch though 

12 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I don't believe this. I think Gerrard paid someone to CGI in the balls and CGI the smiles and the sunlight. There were bits in the friendlies where the players didn't even move, so the players don't know how to move. You could CGI things in when you're manager in Scotland, but not in England. The audio is fake too as nobody speaks in Gerrard training sessions. That's what happens when players have babies and I wonder if they bring the babies to training with them. Gerrard is clueless if he lets players bring their babies to training. 

Gerrard thinks players having babies is a good idea and he thinks it's OK for players to bring their babies to training with them. Look at the result: CGI smiles and nobody can speak in training because everyone is worried about waking the babies. No wonder none of the players know how to move. Also, ignore the second half against Man U and any other game. And he never plays Buendia and Coutinho together except for when he does, like in our actual previous competitive game.

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyway, I've decided I'm going to back him.

A confident Ollie is a different player, he just needs ONE good goal to set him off.

He really does but at moment not sure where its coming from

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A confident Ollie is a different player, he just needs ONE good goal to set him off.

We have no choice, if we support the team.....we have to get behind him.

We have all voiced our opinions on him and got it off our chests.....but the club are backing him, so we must too.

When that whistle blows tomorrow.....He is the best No9 in world football.....thats the message, he must hear.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think he needs to "Feel" the crowd behind him and if he misses, we must convert that emotion in to defiant support for him...as opposed to moans and groans.

His form will return.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Preseason means nothing. 

It does.....its the place to leave all the cobwebs, behind...get the muscles fine tuned.

Its done for that reason.

Friendlies are going through the motions.....now the intensity starts or should start.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I think he needs to "Feel" the crowd behind him and if he misses, we must convert that emotion in to defiant support for him...as opposed to moans and groans.

His form will return.

Isn’t this the crux of the matter ? Is his best form good enough? I personally don’t feel that he is a striker who can propel us to where we want to go?

I don’t believe he is technically good enough and I take no pleasure to say this, but I do believe that we need a more accomplished striker to go forward - sure Ollie will maintain the status quo, but as Villa fans we are expecting more 

• Like 2

Wonder if the team watched the game tonight?

That Eze chance was classic Ollie. I'd like him to have been sat next to Ings and they chatted about it.

Pretty sure he'll start tomorrow. Come on Ollie, you can succeed in a huge way here. 

Now Ollie take this benching and use it to kick yourself up the butt.  Use it as a positive that you want to prove that being benched was wrong and that when you get a chance you’ll take it.  Don’t do what I think you will do and go into your shell and get worse.  Ings deserves the start today, use that as your motivation to get back to 20/21 season form.

• Like 1

Â