Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I'm not Ollies biggest fan, but he gives us just enough goals on this level. Together with Ings, I feel we are set up front for next season. Midfield and CB are more important to concentrate on.

That's where I am too, especially with archer thrown in the mix

We have huge issues in midfield and that's where the money has to go first and foremost 

We then need a back up LB and it's looking increasingly like we will need a new wide man

Striker is not a priority

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That was true with Darren Bent under mcleish, make it stick... He's our only player in their half, his team mates are 40 yards away from him... Make it stick and do what exactly? 

Watkins goal yesterday I don't think fully appreciate just how bad a "pass" that was to him, there's so little he can do with that and yet he scored and still people moan 

Completely agree, this board can beat cesspit at times. The first 5 or 6 pages of the Match Thread yesterday were a joke. I genuinely believe we have more fans than anyone who just revel in being miserable

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's where I am too, especially with archer thrown in the mix

We have huge issues in midfield and that's where the money has to go first and foremost 

We then need a back up LB and it's looking increasingly like we will need a new wide man

Striker is not a priority

I think with Watkins, and equally McGinn, and others, these players are where we are in the league right now. Midtable. Watkins has had a slightly poorer season than last and we are lower midtable.

I saw someone further up in the thread call him young, but he isnt, I think he's 27 later this year, I think this is the Ollie Watkins that we get now, he hasn't pushed on this season from last. 

Who would be this next level striker that would come to Villa though, I'm not sure.

42 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

The truth is people are chasing and hoping for a player that A) doesn't exist. B ) wouldn't join us if they did and C) We don't necessarily need to get to where we want.

Chelsea: Lukaku (5 Goals), Werner (4), Havertz (7)

Arsenal: Auba (4), Lacazette (4), Nketiah (4)

City: Jesus (8) (5 of them in the last week)

Liverpool: Firmino (5), Jota (15)

Even Spurs: Kane (12) 

West Ham: Antonio (8)

Wolves: Jimenez (6), Hwang (5), Silva (0).

Aston Villa: Watkins (9), Ings (6).

The 20-Goal-A-Season striker is virtually dead in the Premier League. Kane & Ronaldo the best examples of players that should or will be that player - but it is nowhere near a necessity to have the all-encompassing Striker in a team challenging for trophies anymore. 

They need to be able to work hard, drift wide (Jota the top scorer in this list notibly is the one least like a Striker), hassle players by pressing from the front, create room for and bring others into play.

Watkins is just fine for where we are but, crucially, where we want to be going too. He may not always be first choice but it would be stupid to sell him.

Watkins is not at the level of those players when it comes to his all-round game though. Not even close. Chasing balls into the wing, pressing defenders no problems, he's great. I know some people see it as a service issue but I dont I think more technical play, passes into feet exposes his limitations more.

I just don't agree that you could play off him in any of those top sides (bar Wolves) at the level they play and against the defensive setups they come up against which is totally different to us. I'm excluding West Ham / Antonio imo as they are such an exception in style. 

Edited by villanmac

35 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

The truth is people are chasing and hoping for a player that A) doesn't exist. B ) wouldn't join us if they did and C) We don't necessarily need to get to where we want.

Chelsea: Lukaku (5 Goals), Werner (4), Havertz (7)

Arsenal: Auba (4), Lacazette (4), Nketiah (4)

City: Jesus (8) (5 of them in the last week)

Liverpool: Firmino (5), Jota (15)

Even Spurs: Kane (12) 

West Ham: Antonio (8)

Wolves: Jimenez (6), Hwang (5), Silva (0).

Aston Villa: Watkins (9), Ings (6).

The 20-Goal-A-Season striker is virtually dead in the Premier League. Kane & Ronaldo the best examples of players that should or will be that player - but it is nowhere near a necessity to have the all-encompassing Striker in a team challenging for trophies anymore. 

They need to be able to work hard, drift wide (Jota the top scorer in this list notibly is the one least like a Striker), hassle players by pressing from the front, create room for and bring others into play.

Watkins is just fine for where we are but, crucially, where we want to be going too. He may not always be first choice but it would be stupid to sell him.

We need a third player who can hit those numbers then. Because of most of  your examples above there are other players within those teams who have scored more. I’ll ignore KDB, Salah and Mane as not fair comparisons but Spurs have Son, Arsenal have ESR and Saka, West Ham have Bowen. 

Even Leicester have 3 midfielders- Lookman, Maddison and Tielemans that have scored more than our forwards. 

Even if Ramsey ups his numbers a bit next season, given that we are looking to improve our defensive midfield (rightly), I can see why a wide forward is on the list. We do need to up our goals scored. 

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

We need a third player who can hit those numbers then. Because of most of  your examples above there are other players within those teams who have scored more. I’ll ignore KDB, Salah and Mane as not fair comparisons but Spurs have Son, Arsenal have ESR and Saka, West Ham have Bowen. 

Even Leicester have 3 midfielders- Lookman, Maddison and Tielemans that have scored more than our forwards. 

Even if Ramsey ups his numbers a bit next season, given that we are looking to improve our defensive midfield (rightly), I can see why a wide forward is on the list. We do need to up our goals scored. 

The players you've posted play pretty much all over in terms of attack, and I suppose that's the point - goals come from multiple sources these days and even as a striker, what you're creating is almost as important as the number you score.

Watkins had little experience of playing in a front two before this season but he looks like he's adapting to it. That little chipped pass to Ings was absolutely class, for example. 

It would be silly to sell him for anything less than silly money and I think we might be able to reap a lot out of the Watkings partnership next season.

• Like 1

To be fair, I watch the replays of the goal back, and it was a very good goal.

So I'm sobering where this " a lucky deflected goal " thing is coming from.

I criticise him when he deserves it as well, but he did great work overall to bag that.

I like Watkins, his energy is so good for the team. Defending from the front etc.

His goal against Norwich was well taken, you can tell from his demeanour that he was going to control the ball and get a shot off.

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The players you've posted play pretty much all over in terms of attack, and I suppose that's the point - goals come from multiple sources these days and even as a striker, what you're creating is almost as important as the number you score.

Watkins had little experience of playing in a front two before this season but he looks like he's adapting to it. That little chipped pass to Ings was absolutely class, for example. 

It would be silly to sell him for anything less than silly money and I think we might be able to reap a lot out of the Watkings partnership next season.

I agree, I don’t want to sell either of them but I can see why they might want to buy another goal threat option, although I suppose if we buy players that can dominate possession more, it might allow more opportunities. Our problem yesterday wasn’t opportunities though, it was finishing.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, I watch the replays of the goal back, and it was a very good goal.

So I'm sobering where this " a lucky deflected goal " thing is coming from.

I criticise him when he deserves it as well, but he did great work overall to bag that.

In a similar vein, his chip to Ings was brilliant as well and goes against the argument I make about out his link up play so it's worth pointing out too in fairness.

His goal yesterday was excellent, he still had so much to do when he received the ball, I didn't notice a deflection but if it did take one then in a way that shows how well he hit it, as even the deflection couldn't stop it from going in.

It wasn't the kind of goal that only went in because of the deflection, it was the kind of goals that was still scored despite the deflection, and that's because of how hard he hit it.

Great dink over the top from him for Ings chance as well, could just imagine the reaction if Ings had have played that ball and it was Watkins that had missed the chance instead.

After our 33rd game last season he had scored in ten premier league games, this season after 33 games he's scored in nine premier league games, and I think he's probably played in less of those first 33 games this season, so he's scored less goals so far this time around, but a big part of that is because he hasn't had any games this season where he's score more than one goal in a game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

It wasn't the kind of goal that only went in because of the deflection, it was the kind of goals that was still scored despite the deflection, and that's because of how hard he hit it.

Are you sure? I saw an angle last night that showed at the angle he hit it it would go wide but I can’t find that clip now.  

The Villa clip it looks like he was aiming for the corner but you can’t see if it would’ve gone in from that angle but the deflection changed the direction and it went in.  

It doesn’t matter if it wasn’t going in because it did in the end and he earned the goal between his work and Ings pass.  

Sometimes you earn your luck.

• Like 1

I didn't watch the match but saw the comments about it being a lucky, deflected goal on here post match. Finally caught the highlights just, it was decent goal, irrespective of his general performance and the deflection. It was the kind of goal he was lauded for last season. 

A goal against Norwich is enough to make people think we don’t need to improve on him? Jeez. He isn’t good enough. We can improve on him and we should do too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chine said:

So now he’s not that bad then ?

See, I’m honest in my comments.  

I felt he did ok yesterday and praised him for it.  Not brilliant but where was that most of the season.  It’s not the Watkins of last season and not enough for us in the future but something of the old from him so I praised him.

In terms of specifically for the goal I again praised him because he fought for it, he earnt the goal.  

If I was being negative I could point to Williams slipping but I didn’t, I could point to it being a deflected goal but instead I emphasised he earnt his luck because I think I’m honest when he’s good and honest when he’s bad.  

I don’t have an agenda , he earnt some luck given the effort for that goal and got it. I was glad for him.  

That doesn’t change how poor he’s been for so long. Hopefully he can continue from this, we’ll see

7 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

It’s the same at the ground where I sit. I’ve never known a player who has generally served us as well as Watkins has to take so much stick from fans. I don’t really get it to be honest.

He’s a young promising striker who is likely to hit double figures in both of his premier league seasons yet people are calling for Kienan Davis to start ahead of him. His work rate is generally exceptional so I’m not sure what he does that rubs people up the wrong way to be honest.

Young striker? He's 27 in December. And yeah he may hit double figures, but can you really not see his limitations? He shouldn't get stick, but nothing wrong with discussing his faults on here.

A goal against Norwich and some are bigging him up again. Even Joe Linton scored 2 against Norwich. 

People need tor remember he is not the striker he was last season, 1 reason is because Grealish was doing all the hard work for him.

If he was that good, where are the offers from the big boys.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â