Academy General Topic

smetrov

Did he have the potential to be as good as the London media would have you believe?

Barry Bannan Mk. II

That is, an advance on Bannan. Since I think Bannan will be a superb player, Crowley will be better than that.

So Messi then?

• Like 1

Crowley is great, as talented as you'll see in his age group, don't doubt his potential.

Grealish has a professional contract so the club could play hardball and demand whatever fee they wanted, completely different situation to Crowley.

On the subject of Grealish, he signed a 3 year contract this month last year.

Hopefully its an extension he's talking about, as next year he will only have one year left (3 year contracts are crap, why we've accepted Baker and Weimann on them still bizarres me). A nice new 5/6 year contract ending in 18/19 will do nicely.

Problem is if they don't turn out that good we have them on long term contracts..

putting Weimann on a 3 year contract is bizzare as he has to an extent proven he can perform in the premier league however his hesitation to sign a new contract at times, added with the fact that the term of the new deal is 3 years I doubt he will be here long term if i'm honest especially if he performs well.

Wow... looks like my bro and dad sneaked it on that one aha. Well tbf I never seen either of them because i went driving range with pals last night and went bed.

It was serious interest from England. Once again. But i'm guessing this was very serious.

He's not leaving the VILLA ! aha   :flag:

Edit: Sorry for keeping the train delayed on that one ahaa im a sht ITK.

Edited by kevangrealish

• 2 weeks later...

Aston Villa lodge young player compensation scheme complaint as clubs get ready to go to war 6 Jul 2013 22:30

Many sides are concerned that they will not receive the amount of money they should for their young talent, including Villa over Dan Crowley

Dan-Crowley.jpgYoung star: But Aston Villa are unhappy about how much they could get for Dan Crowley
Action Images

Premier League clubs are set to go to war over the country’s hottest prospects.

Sunday Mirror Sport can reveal Aston Villa lodged a complaint with the Premier League over the Elite Player Performance Plan ­compensation scheme.

West Brom are also unhappy with the current structure and a gang of Premier League clubs could join forces to try and stop all the best talent being cherry-picked.

Villa are upset that under EPPP rules they will get an initial ­payment of just over £200,000 for England Under-17 international Dan Crowley from Arsenal.

Crowley is aged 15 and had not agreed a professional contract, which means Villa can only claim a set fee for the player dubbed ‘the new Jack Wilshere’.

They approached the ­Premier League to argue that, because he played for Villa’s Under-18 side, Crowley should be treated as a 17-year-old and his fee should be set by a tribunal. The case was dismissed.

Jack-Wilshere-1936569.jpgLike for like: Dan Crowley is thought to be the new Jack Wilshere
Action

West Brom fear they will lose highly-rated 16-year-old Isaiah Brown to Chelsea for a low fee, despite the fact he verbally agreed to sign a pro contract. Liverpool have signed 14-year-old Yan Dhanda from West Brom, while Manchester United have been chasing Fulham 16-year-old Patrick Roberts.

West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace believes it is unfair that Category One clubs can sign players from other Category One clubs for knockdown set fees.

Having spent £2.5million on upgrading West Brom’s ­academy facilities, Peace said: “It’s a big year for EPPP. If it isn’t successful then we need to look at it.”

West Brom sporting and technical director Richard Garlick added: “The elephant in the room is that the big clubs were pushing for this so that every player has his price of £200,000.”

Another source at a Premier League club’s academy said: “The way things are going the top six clubs will have all of the best kids in the country.

“The set fees between ­Category One clubs are so low that the big clubs can afford to just sign up all the best ­talent.”

Villa used EPPP to help them sign 16-year-old striker Liam Prynn from Torquay, but the Midlands club can argue their Category One status means the teenager will be guaranteed a better standard of coaching.But under EPPP rules, a player moving between Category One clubs is not theoretically being promised a better level of training or infrastructure.

Newly-promoted Hull, who only have a Category Three academy, have lost 16-year-old forward Harry Cardwell to ­relegated Reading, who have Category One status, for £75,000.

Crystal Palace ­chairman Steve Parish and academy director Gary ­Issott are not fans of EPPP, while Southampton are understood to hold reservations.

It would take at least 14 Premier League clubs to vote for a change to force a re-think to the EPPP compensation scale.

Arsenal, Chelsea, ­Manchester United, Manchester City, ­Tottenham and Liverpool are unlikely to want change, which means the rest of the Premier League would need to vote against them.

The compensation levels of transfers of youngsters ­between Category One clubs was a topic of debate among clubs when EPPP was first voted in and the issue is now set to be raised again.

Other than set levels of compensation, clubs are due ­appearance-based add-ons and sell-on fees under EPPP rules.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-lodge-young-player-2033504#ixzz2YLj8PxYS 

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Son Lyme

1:45 AM on 7/7/2013

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Son Lyme. Show Details

This comment is hidden because you have submitted an abuse report against it. Show Details

The way the Premier League handle young talent needs to be at the top of the football agenda. Rich clubs will always poach from less rich clubs - it is the model on which our entire league system is based - but is it good for the game - or the young players?

Rich clubs like collecting talent. Maybe it makes the owners feel like they aren't missing out. But do the young players miss out by making moves toward rich clubs? Does sitting in the reserves really develop them? Or if not the reserves - then farmed out on loan to clubs with worse facilities and playing staff than the one you left to join the rich club in the first place.

A football playing career is a short one - and many's the slip between cup and lip. The amount of tapping up and 'incentivising' at this level is obscene. A family house here. A nice job for the useless dad there. Cars for mom. A discreet scholarship fund somewhere. At youth as at senior level - money is too often what matters here.

If the USA, the country that turned sport into business in the first place - could see the danger of unbridled free markets regarding young new players in the NFL then surely we can do something similar. Their draft system allows the weakest clubs to get first choice - ensuring competition. And that should be our aim - that and making sure our young talents get to play.

UEFA's financial fair play smokescreen combined with the lack of ruling on young players seems to be enshrining success among the current elite - who can use their inflated budgets to hoover up any and all promise - but sometimes a young player develops best from playing - for the first team - for a couple of years - then thinking about what next.

Why bother putting money into developing youth if some smarmy charmer with a big chequebook can lure that talent away from you the minute it begins to show promise?

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-lodge-young-player-2033504#ixzz2YLjHB3rU 

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

I see the development squad kicked off their pre-season today with a two nil win against Enfield. 

The squad pretty much as expected - except no Jordan Graham in there. Anyone know if that's because he is still injured? It doesn't look like he's in Germany. 

This webb guy who has travelled out to join the villa squad, is he an unknown or i have not been following the academy enough? i had heard of the likes of carruthers, burke, drennan, devine and donacien, is there a chance this guys gonna be good? good enough to play second fiddle to lowton?

I see the development squad kicked off their pre-season today with a two nil win against Enfield.

The squad pretty much as expected - except no Jordan Graham in there. Anyone know if that's because he is still injured? It doesn't look like he's in Germany.

Out till september

Out till september

That's a shame for him. I think there was some talk on here about Houllier giving him some game time. Seems so long ago and he still hasn't featured. Hope he can kick on this season. 

Â