Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Kevan, he's a great young player and seems to be a lovely lad..... Looked after my 11 year old lad, who has a new hero!

Keep him grounded and he's got a very bright future ahead of him!

You can all be rightfully proud of him....

Love it mate :D

Dont suppose theres been any hint of a loan for him or something to get him some first team football? Or any talking from Lambert as to whether he could appear in a Capitol One Cup game next season?

Think I saw a tweet from him a while back about him being really excited for next season?

Personally think him, Graham and possibly Drennan should get a loan to get some first team football under their belts ready for 14/15.

No info on loans, It seems as if they don't want to rush him but merely bring him in and around the first team when they see ready. The Academy coaches feel he is ready to be around the first team but not too sure about the first team coaches.

Its seems like a weird situation where they feel he is too good to be going out on loan... and not good enough for the first team just yet. I don't want to rush him in when he's not ready because at the end of the day the coaches know best. But for me I would really really want to see him in pre-season friendlies at least after this year that he has had.

Someone was interested with jack on loan, A manager (I think Colchester) asked ex villa youngster Mason Watkins about him. But nothing concrete.

For me, he'd give us a lot more than Albrighton offers currently. Like to see them involved in pre-season and given a chance. Like Donacien too, reads the game well and is very quick compared to our current backline. May also help with Stan as a coach too, to speak with PL to give his view on talent in the youth set up.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

I think Lambert will be a godsend for the youngsters about to come through too. Not only is he willing to give them a chance but the system we are now playing should suit a lot of them very well. Grealish and Carruthers (if him and Lambert make up that is) could both fit in at the free role behind Benteke where Nzog has been a lot lately. Graham, Robinson and Burke could all play the wide forward role where Gabby and Weimann have been.

Kevan, what was the tweet that jack sent just before the Wigan game about? About him being excited? I thought it was about him being in the 1st team for the Wigan game but obviously not.

Kevan, what was the tweet that jack sent just before the Wigan game about? About him being excited? I thought it was about him being in the 1st team for the Wigan game but obviously not.

I thought (Was Hoping) the same mate, text him about it and he told me he'd tell me when I got home... typical jacko. Never told me aha :L, I forgot to ask.

Don't think it was football related or it could have been because he broke up from the villa and was looking forward to HK7's tournament. Bah who knows.

HalfTimePost I completely agree. And SikhInTrinity you're not the first person to say that believe me ! haha.

Tbh i can see why Lambert didn't play Jack despite academy coaches saying he should be given a try out. Because of the relegation fight. But I will be extremely surprised if he didn't get game time this year due to the fact he was on the bench against chelsea under McCleish. He also turns 18 in September, does seem like a good time.

I thought (Was Hoping) the same mate, text him about it and he told me he'd tell me when I got home... typical jacko. Never told me aha :L, I forgot to ask.

Don't think it was football related or it could have been because he broke up from the villa and was looking forward to HK7's tournament. Bah who knows.

HalfTimePost I completely agree. And SikhInTrinity you're not the first person to say that believe me ! haha.

Tbh i can see why Lambert didn't play Jack despite academy coaches saying he should be given a try out. Because of the relegation fight. But I will be extremely surprised if he didn't get game time this year due to the fact he was on the bench against chelsea under McCleish. He also turns 18 in September, does seem like a good time.

I said a few things hahaha which specific point?

I said a few things hahaha which specific point?

First bit mate aha O_o, However i still rate Albrighton and think he deserves another chance. Family First eh ?

I think Grealish has that ability and potential to give us a proper creative player that can play up alongside Benteke.  Either on the left or the right.  If he keeps his head on the game, he will be some player. If I am correct,  I know the team that are around him and they seem like good guys, will keep him on the right path.  Also so important to have good family support behind him, which he seems to have, eh Kevan! 

Donacien looks fantastic too.  So quick and strong.  High hopes for him too. 

Thoughts on Carruthers guys?

• Like 1

I think Grealish has that ability and potential to give us a proper creative player that can play up alongside Benteke.  Either on the left or the right.  If he keeps his head on the game, he will be some player. If I am correct,  I know the team that are around him and they seem like good guys, will keep him on the right path.  Also so important to have good family support behind him, which he seems to have, eh Kevan! 

He captained the Next Gen side.

Feisty and creative, bit like Samir Nasri with a bit more battle and less flair. We need to hold on to him.

Grealish is almost 18 already? Bloody hell.

Carruthers is a good player and I honestly think he would have been involved in the first team this year if it wasnt for his attitude. Interesting to see if Lambert keeps him or sells him, first impressions make a huge difference and it looks as though Samir made a bad one. I would like to see him push on. Murphy [if signed as expected], Carruthers, Grealish would be enough players to have some good rotation in the CAM role next season, possibly with NZogbia to put there every now and then too.

He captained the Next Gen side.

Feisty and creative, bit like Samir Nasri with a bit more battle and less flair. We need to hold on to him.

Completely agree with this. More of a CM than a CAM nowadays.

On Carruthers, lightweight but very good on the ball, he plays with real confidence as he showed in the Next Gen finals. In that tournament he was a class above a lot of the players, largely through experience to go with the incredible talent that was on show in all of the teams.

Don't think he'll make it at Aston Villa, neither convinced he is good enough at what he does or has the right attitude for the job. There are other boys ready to step ahead of him, same goes for Daniel Johnson who bosses games at his age group but has never really looked like making the step up to the first team.

Grealish in particular is in pole position to figure next season, particularly if we can have a reasonable start. He'll be 18 and has served his time as one of the top players at u18 level before progressing seamlessly to being very good at u21 level, then being top man in Hong Kong. This is a well trodden path for players moving into the first team squad at Villa Park.

Edited by AndyClarke
  • Like 2

On Carruthers, lightweight but very good on the ball, he plays with real confidence as he showed in the Next Gen finals. In that tournament he was a class above a lot of the players, largely through experience to go with the incredible talent that was on show in all of the teams.

Don't think he'll make it at Aston Villa, neither convinced he is good enough at what he does or has the right attitude for the job. There are other boys ready to step ahead of him, same goes for Daniel Johnson who bosses games at his age group but has never really looked like making the step up to the first team.

Grealish in particular is in pole position to figure next season, particularly if we can have a reasonable start. He'll be 18 and has served his time as one of the top players at u18 level before progressing seamlessly to being very good at u21 level, then being top man in Hong Kong. This is a well trodden path for players moving into the first team squad at Villa Park.

Excellent post from the chap on here with what I consider to be the best knowledge of youth level football at VP.

I don't catch much of the youth/reserves, Andy, and I always assumed that Carruthers was the pick of the centre midfielders. Who are the younger lads that are ready to step ahead?  I know Graham and Grealish are rated higher on here - but I thought they played wider? And, Dan Crowley has left for Arsenal, right?

It's disappointing to hear that DJ doesn't look like he has progressed enough to make the step up. He looked at one point last season as though he was almost ahead of Gary Gardner in terms of importance to the reserve team.

It was a general comment about players overtaking him, I don't believe Carruthers will play centrally for the first team, if he does it would be in an advanced position and I think Grealish will get the chance first. Therefore he'd play wide and I'd hope Grealish or Graham would get the chance to play their before Carruthers does, so struggling to see him get a chance.

Might all be immaterial anyway because his contract must be up unless he has signed a new one which hasn't been made public (or I've missed) or the club have taken up an extension option.

Thanks Trent.

Â