Johan Lange

hippo

57 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Oh Gregg, another superficial article without any detail to get your teeth into. Most of his articles are like that. Seems like he has no contacts at the club at all.

He talks about us using "analytics" and being "unique". Well, in case you didn't know, every team have been using analytics for a while now. I would like to know what we are actually doing that is unique, but you won't get that from Greg's articles.

Sam Allardyce was using analytics 15 years ago at Bolton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Oh Gregg, another superficial article without any detail to get your teeth into. Most of his articles are like that. Seems like he has no contacts at the club at all.

He talks about us using "analytics" and being "unique". Well, in case you didn't know, every team have been using analytics for a while now. I would like to know what we are actually doing that is unique, but you won't get that from Greg's articles.

In fairness, why would we want to disclose to the whole word  " What we do that's unique "? They would just start emulating it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness, why would we want to disclose to the whole word  " What we do that's unique "? They would just start emulating it.

That's true as well, my beef is it's just another nothing article from Gregg. We do "analytics" we are "unique". I love The Athletic and a lot of their writers, but Greigg Evans is one of the weakest ones...such a shame they don't have anyone decent covering Villa.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I bumped into the man, the myth the legend at Birmingham Airport today!

Firstly, sweet jesus he is a good looking gentlemen. 

I introduced myself, said how exciting it is to be a Villa fan at the moment, then asked where he's flown in from. He said he can't say, but if Villa fans are excited now, the project has barely started. We then fist bumped - and I'll never wash that hand again. 

Right can our resident plane spotter please check every flight in to Birmingham airport today! 

18 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

That's true as well, my beef is it's just another nothing article from Gregg. We do "analytics" we are "unique". I love The Athletic and a lot of their writers, but Greigg Evans is one of the weakest ones...such a shame they don't have anyone decent covering Villa.

Just learned this guy is out of a job.   Maybe they could hire him.

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I introduced myself, said how exciting it is to be a Villa fan at the moment, then asked where he's flown in from. He said he can't say, but if Villa fans are excited now, the project has barely started. 

NOW I'M EXCITED!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this guys brief was strategic recruitment:-

Young, Ings, Sanson, Buendia 

Non particularly bad players  - but not what was needed ....and where was the DM 

Looks like another bullshiter has arrived.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Thought this guys brief was strategic recruitment:-

Young, Ings, Sanson, Buendia 

Non particularly bad players  - but not what was needed ....and where was the DM 

Looks like another bullshiter has arrived.

personally, i think our summer recruitment was very good.

I think the problem is we have a number of very good players on paper, playing like they are blind and one legged, i dont think we can say they are all rubbish,  i think its coaching problems.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

personally, i think our summer recruitment was very good.

I think the problem is we have a number of very good players on paper, playing like they are blind and one legged, i dont think we can say they are all rubbish,  i think its coaching problems.

Seriously - where does Ashley young fit in ?  

Spent big money on a striker - who always looked unlikely to be able to play alongside watkins

Where was the DM ? - A position we are woefully short of ?

Sanson - Injured just before we brought him - and permanently injured ever since.

In the future who knows - but right now it looks like a very poor window at a time we were looking ready to push on. I don't see how you can defend it to be honest.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Seriously - where does Ashley young fit in ?  

Spent big money on a striker - who always looked unlikely to be able to play alongside watkins

Where was the DM ? - A position we are woefully short of ?

Sanson - Injured just before we brought him - and permanently injured ever since.

In the future who knows - but right now it looks like a very poor window at a time we were looking ready to push on. I don't see how you can defend it to be honest.

I think Young is a good utility player to cover fullback until Hayden is hopefully ready to come in to the first team next season at RB, and maybe we were keeping the powder dry on a new starting LB to challenge Targett, who was our player of the season last year, so i can see the reasoning for Young to come is as utility backup to maybe see if any of our youth can progress to challenge Targett over the next 18 months, or maybe we had a LB in mind but couldnt pull the deal off?, who knows, but based on last year Targett was a good LB for us, our players  player of the season.

Ings is a quality player, the fact that Watkins and him seem to not be able to play together, i dont honestly think is a thing, i honestly think its a failed tactical setup thing, both Watkins and Ings are good players, who i think are probably being misused within some terrible tactical decisions.

I totally agree about needing a DM, i said this many many times in the summer and got told i was effectively stupid for going on about it, but I was talking about the players we did sign and their "quality" or not, but ye, i agree we desperately needed a DM.

Sanson, i think he's a quality player, but yes seem to be always injured, same with Bailey currently, but i think both Sanson and Bailey are quality, if we can ever get them fit for a prolonged period.

My point was, i think Young (as utility backup), Buendia, Bailey, Sanson & Ings are quality players on paper who really improved the squad, to the point that if they all appear to be "failing", i would look at the coaching and tactics rather than those players in the first instance, but i also agree we failed badly in not getting in a DM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

I think Young is a good utility player to cover fullback until Hayden is hopefully ready to come in to the first team next season at RB, and maybe we were keeping the powder dry on a new starting LB to challenge Targett, who was our player of the season last year, so i can see the reasoning for Young to come is as utility backup to maybe see if any of our youth can progress to challenge Targett over the next 18 months, or maybe we had a LB in mind but couldnt pull the deal off?, who knows, but based on last year Targett was a good LB for us, our players  player of the season.

Ings is a quality player, the fact that Watkins and him seem to not be able to play together, i dont honestly think is a thing, i honestly think its a failed tactical setup thing, both Watkins and Ings are good players, who i think are probably being misused within some terrible tactical decisions.

I totally agree about needing a DM, i said this many many times in the summer and got told i was effectively stupid for going on about it, but I was talking about the players we did sign and their "quality" or not, but ye, i agree we desperately needed a DM.

Sanson, i think he's a quality player, but yes seem to be always injured, same with Bailey currently, but i think both Sanson and Bailey are quality, if we can ever get them fit for a prolonged period.

My point was, i think Young (as utility backup), Buendia, Bailey, Sanson & Ings are quality players on paper who really improved the squad, to the point that if they all appear to be "failing", i would look at the coaching and tactics rather than those players in the first instance, but i also agree we failed badly in not getting in a DM.

I have to disagree. There's just too many disclaimers in there.

I thought the whole idea of a sporting director was to have a consistent style of play and buy buy players to fit that style. We seem to have spunked money without much cohesive thought.  I don't even think Sanson is good enough for the PL - I think we seen a player available for 50% of his previous asking price - and tried to be a bit too clever

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

I have to disagree. There's just too many disclaimers in there.

I thought the whole idea of a sporting director was to have a consistent style of play and buy buy players to fit that style. We seem to have spunked money without much cohesive thought.  I don't even think Sanson is good enough for the PL - I think we seen a player available for 50% of his previous asking price - and tried to be a bit too clever

i agree we dont seem to have a style of play, or a tactical methodology other than "punt it down the line", but thats Deano and the coaching team isnt it?, rather than the sporting director.

My point is, i think Luiz, Buendia, Sanson, Bailey, Ings, Traore, Watkins, etc, should be plenty good enough for a style of play consisting of more than "punt it down the wings", which seem to be our entire tactical setup.

• Like 1

Yes and no to the last few posts.

Ings - He’s an upgrade on Keinan Davies or Wesley. Smith doesn’t have to play him.

Buendia - should come good. Early days.

Bailey - early days. Maybe or maybe not. No way of knowing yet.

Sanson - possibly just unlucky with injuries or possibly not good enough. No way of knowing yet.

Young - replacement for Taylor.  Good enough for now.

• Like 2

The only thing I can think of with the DM/CM is we couldn't get targets 1 2 or 3...4 5 or 6...so we stopped trying, didn't just go out and get one out of desperation to fill a shirt and end up with another Nakamba 

Bailey looks the bollocks imo if we can get him fit 

All the others I'm not sold on, ings I hope we convert to a 10 but don't see it yet, Buendia is way off, young and Tuanzebe are shirt fillers 

Sanson I can't judge and unfortunately don't think he'll ever play enough to be able to, man looks cursed 

Â