U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Just now, LondonLax said:

It’s two of them that look like going to a run off. If the Democrats won them both they would actually have control of the Senate. 

Yes I wasn't clear, but the other one with 20 or so candidates was always going to a run-off.

Good point just made by BBC presenter. 

If Trump brigade are so confident the voting is fraudulent, why are they taking legal action to STOP the count. It seems like desperation because if they are sure its fraud there is not need to actually stop it, you just need to prove it. 

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, that sounds plausible. It's pretty worrying if they really thought there was a chance Fox would support them trying to run this play, but I suppose not that surprising.

I think they've overshot and confused Fox punditry and pundits with Fox news reporting.

As a comparison - Daily Telegraph comment and editorial is a sewer of all the worst people in the media. It didn't stop Peter Foster being one the best and most fair-minded journalists in the country when he was working for them.

They've incorrectly divided the whole of the media into "the ones on our side and the ones who hate us", without stopping to think that ultimately most people go into journalism to report the news, rather than to support a political party.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I think they've overshot and confused Fox punditry and pundits with Fox news reporting.

As a comparison - Daily Telegraph comment and editorial is a sewer of all the worst people in the media. It didn't stop Peter Foster being one the best and most fair-minded journalists in the country when he was working for them.

They've incorrectly divided the whole of the media into "the ones on our side and the ones who hate us", without stopping to think that ultimately most people go into journalism to report the news, rather than to support a political party.

That Fox News dichotomy is a common setup for Murdoch. He’s done the same thing in Australia where Sky News is a respectable news outlet but in the evenings ‘Sky News After Dark’ becomes a cesspit of ultra conservative blowhard talking heads. It must be a successful formula for News Corp.

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There was some discussion earlier around who could take the Trump torch and run with it but do it in a more competent polished package. I think Senator Tom Cotton would be one to watch out for in the 2024 Republican primaries. 

From what I understand they will need to seriously change tack from Trumpism. 

4 years from now another 4 years worth of ageing and diabetes ridden Republicans will have passed and 4 years worth of younger and increasingly college educated voters will have entered the voting system. 

A lot of people were talking about certain towns which nearly but didn't quite flip because of changing dynamics but would almost certainly flip next time round. 

I'm no expert by any means but from what I've garnered during this election it seems they are going to need to rethink their whole strategy.  New Republican. 

Anecdotaly they (man in the pub) reckon that since Brexit enough oldies have died and young voters have arrived that Brexit would never get passed today. 

Certainly my lad who turns 18 next week would definitely vote against Brexit and my 16 year old daughter the same. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

From what I understand they will need to seriously change tack from Trumpism. 

4 years from now another 4 years worth of ageing and diabetes ridden Republicans will have passed and 4 years worth of younger and increasingly college educated voters will have entered the voting system. 

A lot of people were talking about certain towns which nearly but didn't quite flip because of changing dynamics but would almost certainly flip next time round. 

I'm no expert by any means but from what I've garnered during this election it seems they are going to need to rethink their whole strategy.  New Republican. 

Anecdotaly they (man in the pub) reckon that since Brexit enough oldies have died and young voters have arrived that Brexit would never get passed today. 

Certainly my lad who turns 18 next week would definitely vote against Brexit and my 16 year old daughter the same. 

Maybe. I remember that argument being made when Obama first won 12 years ago and the Republicans were splintering with the tea party movement. Yet this election Trump won millions more votes than he did 4 years ago, even though the elderly vote was pretty even between him and Biden. If anything it seems like he’s gaining new younger voters.

• Like 2

Maybe. I remember that argument being made when Obama first won 12 years ago and the Republicans were splintering with the tea party movement. Yet this election Trump won millions more votes than he did 4 years ago, even though the elderly vote was pretty even between him and Biden. If anything it seems like he’s gaining new younger voters.

Turnout has been a bigger factor you'd think. It's the mail in and early voting that has pushed the numbers so high

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Turnout has been a bigger factor you'd think. It's the mail in and early voting that has pushed the numbers so high

Yes but there are still millions more people voting for Trump this election, after seeing him in action for 4 years, than voted for him last time. That suggests to me his ideology is not going away anytime soon and the right candidate could tap into those numbers again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

But in the end, won't (ridiculously, I mean stupidly ridiculously old fogie) Biden have picked up proportionally more younger voters even without reality TV background?

There are huge numbers of young Trump voters that I think people underestimate.

Young people who grow up, sceptical of the media, getting their news and views exclusively from dodgy Youtube videos and Facebook groups. I'm not sure changing demographics are necessarily on the side of progressives. 

Pizzagate was something that mostly manifested within the circles of fairly young people on social media. 

• Like 1

Yes but there are still millions more people voting for Trump this election, after seeing him in action for 4 years, than voted for him last time. That suggests to me his ideology is not going away anytime soon and the right candidate could tap into those numbers again.

Depends on how the remaining votes come in and how successful the legal challenges are. 

If Penn and Georgia go against him as well as Nevada AND Arizona which may still happen isn't that a really really bad defeat? 

44 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Georgia Senate seat looks to be going to a run-off with the Republican vote falling below 50%

This is the Ossoff (d) Purdue (R) battle.  Ossoff destroyed him, in intellect, integrity, argument humanity and humilty.

In the three months after the confidential briefing he was given on covid, his stock option activity tripled from it's previous 3 years. Almost all into big Pharma.

Absolute twunt of the highest order and beyond. AOC Katie Porter and the like want free healthcare and testing for citizens. This Slimeball want's to stop it and make money. 

I hope his church/god/congregation/pastor welcome him with open sewers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I was going to go to bed.

Trump press conference in half an hour? Oh, go on then.

Same here. 

Will be beautiful whatever happens.  Desperation, fireworks, resignation (OK not that obviously) but will be a bombastic down in fireworks event for sure. 

Â